AMiataCalledSteve
AMiataCalledSteve Reader
10/26/22 12:06 p.m.

Half the fun of owning a race car is dreaming up with the optimal track support setup to get your car there and back in comfort and style! What is your dream towing setup, attainable or no?

I have often dreamed of finding one of those old Uhaul AFM trucks with the ramps that go over the cab, putting the car on top of the truck, and then towing a travel trailer behind it for track side camping, or a second car on a trailer if you're going to a track day with a buddy. The truck might be a little unwieldy, but I bet with a little lightweight race car it wouldn't be too bad, and all the storage boxes would be perfect for tools and other supplies.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.ford-trucks.com-vbulletin/580x435/80-picture_php_pictureid_126270_8469042c3474a507c8b4336a1014b8860e4eeccf.jpg

Alternatively, I was browsing some Japanese auctions recently and this caught my eye:

You would definitely stand out in the paddock with a bosozuku truck.

Toyman!
Toyman! MegaDork
10/26/22 12:22 p.m.

Something like this behind a 40' diesel pusher towing a boat and something 4WD. 

Custom built trailer to tow car, boat and two motorbikes | Towing trailer,  Camper organization travel trailers, Custom trailers

gumby
gumby Dork
10/26/22 12:27 p.m.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
10/26/22 1:25 p.m.

I can never decide if my dream rig is a fully kitted out toterhome with a stacker, or a minitruck with a tow dolly.

That probably means my current setup is just about right in the middle. 

MiniDave
MiniDave Reader
10/26/22 1:29 p.m.

That pic of the Ford wagon was how it was done in the 60's and 70's. A wagon to haul all the extra tools and stuff to and from the track and to sleep in while you're there.

I had a Volvo 122 wagon to tow my Sprite on a single axle trailer.

dan0 (Forum Supporter)
dan0 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
11/9/22 8:11 p.m.

I'd be happy with a "basic" setup of something like an F250 or F350 with an Aluma 18 foot tilt trailer for the short hauls. 

Then a mid sized 5th wheel enclosed long enough that I could fit some tools and a tire changer in for events along with the car, etc. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
11/9/22 8:22 p.m.

For my present car and means, finish work on my trailer to make it work for camping as well as hauling the F500 and get the alto blue maverick xlt I ordered to tow it.

Better means, have a small RV to tow and make life with the kids easier for racing and all the things. 

travellering
travellering HalfDork
11/26/22 8:36 p.m.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
11/27/22 9:18 a.m.

I want a tandem tow dolly with brakes. Should be a small/light enough trailer to store easily and tow behind a smaller vehicle. Got a place to put my parts/tools for the journey which becomes a place to sleep when I arrive. And can be used as a utility trailer around the home town. I would love to find a set of 5x112 towing hubs so I can swap on trailer tires and not worry about driveshaft disconnecting on the racecar.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RwO111qWaCROinOW6n721Bj3zC6VwnjFtzL6JFRUbvxwMkMW9F4f7UN2BNXD81mc