David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/2/17 5:27 p.m.

BMX is still a huge part of my life, and despite being on the DL right now we spent yesterday at the 9th Annual Florida BMX Spring Fling & Reunion, the coolest event ever. This year's guest list included legends Bob Haro, Stu Thomsen, Mat Hoffman, Mike Buff, Brian Blyther, Ron Wilkenson and more--and then hundreds of enthusiasts. Thanks to Planet BMX, there's no charge to spectate, show a bike, or even eat. I admit that I spent more time talking that taking pictures since I had to truncate our visit. The event takes place in St. Augustine Beach, Fla., and you can find info on Facebook.

David S. Wallens
4/2/17 5:32 p.m.

Catching up Bob Haro:

And comparing broken arms with Mat Hoffman:

Drunkonunleaded
Drunkonunleaded HalfDork
4/2/17 9:42 p.m.

So cool. I picked up an 84 Schwinn Predator Streetwise awhile back, a $5 Goodwill score. In the midst of a restoration right now. Wish I would've had the foresight to horde all the old BMX stuff we had at the bike shop I worked at 10+ years ago. They had tons of old Maxy cranks, pads, decals, etc. sitting around. Couldn't give it away back then.

David S. Wallens
4/4/17 4:04 p.m.

I kept all my stuff because, I admit, I'm a packrat.

Drunkonunleaded
Drunkonunleaded HalfDork
4/6/17 10:30 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: I kept all my stuff because, I admit, I'm a packrat.

When I moved back in the fall, I got rid of a lot and put the rest in my parent's garage. Every time I know I'm heading home for a few days, I throw a few things on CL to clear them out. It's like getting paid to take a "vacation."

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
4/7/17 8:07 a.m.

Such a cool event...I really wish I could attend. I was just in Fla. last week...sigh. I admit, its been over a year since I pedaled a single crank on my BMX bike, I need to make more time for it in my life!

Any chatter about Dave Mirra? Such shocking news. Im pretty disconnected from the industry anymore, but I still catch the major stuff.

David S. Wallens
4/7/17 2:06 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Any chatter about Dave Mirra? Such shocking news. Im pretty disconnected from the industry anymore, but I still catch the major stuff.

Nothing specific, to be honest, although you do see lots of guys running gold pedals.

David S. Wallens
4/8/17 10:09 p.m.

Not my video, but it sums up the weekend nicely:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/kJ2lt73N1gQ

failboat
failboat UberDork
4/10/17 6:12 p.m.

I like seeing all these pics. Its about time to get some bikes again and I am really leaning towards a 24 or 26 inch bmx to tool around the neighborhood on. Likely dragging a kid with me.

David S. Wallens
4/10/17 7:49 p.m.
failboat wrote: I like seeing all these pics. Its about time to get some bikes again and I am really leaning towards a 24 or 26 inch bmx to tool around the neighborhood on. Likely dragging a kid with me.

Do it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NIzfwoua1Lvf8EG7jSBAvh16Hae1l6D0AqBCrRSxtrcrCYNkFgjWZK1aoG1dV97J