Car Catcher: Factory-Built Ferrari Race Car for New Lexus Money

In most cases, assembling the words “factory-built” along with “Ferrari race car” equals hundreds of thousands of dollars–if not many, many millions. (Have you priced a 250 GTO lately?)

But here’s a way to beat that math: Asking price on this 2007 Ferrari F430 Challenge race car is just $84,500, about $12,000 below Hagerty’s value for a No. 3 example.

What exactly are we looking at here? One of the cars built for the Ferrari Challenge series, the brand’s single-marque racing series dating back to 1993. Ferrari built just 142 copies of the F430 Challenge during the 2007-’10 model run.

Each one received center-lock BBS wheels, Brembo brakes, stripped-down interior and front and rear aero add-ons. This particular one, offered by Fantasy Junction, was campaigned by Ferrari Beverly Hills. Power comes from a mid-mounted V8 controlled by a six-speed sequential transmission.

Despite its road-going roots, this is sold as a track-only race car. Find more details here.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more Car Catcher, Ferrari and F430 Challenge news.
Comments
View comments on the CMS forums
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair MegaDork
12/11/19 8:40 a.m.

if it has a VIN, it can be registered in MI.   no inspections here!  :-)

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/11/19 9:05 a.m.
AngryCorvair said:

if it has a VIN, it can be registered in MI.   no inspections here!  :-)

You know, could be the same for us in Florida, too....

Don2001l
Don2001l New Reader
12/11/19 5:48 p.m.

There was one listed in a DuPont Registry mag “a while back” cage not yet installed, never raced, for $94,000. Good money if you can afford the maintenance ;( not me, I’m cheap

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
12/11/19 7:56 p.m.

I think that's one of those things I could stretch to buy but couldn't afford to actually race it. Sure would be a pretty garage ornament, thought!

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
12/11/19 8:02 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
AngryCorvair said:

if it has a VIN, it can be registered in MI.   no inspections here!  :-)

You know, could be the same for us in Florida, too....

Looks like a kit car to me lol.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/13/19 9:48 a.m.
dculberson said:

Someday I'll document myself building something instead of just tearing things apart.

It is beautiful.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
12/13/19 10:11 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:
AngryCorvair said:

if it has a VIN, it can be registered in MI.   no inspections here!  :-)

You know, could be the same for us in Florida, too....

And once one of you gets a title issued in MI or FL, then getting it tagged in PA shouldn't be difficult. Although it would be much easier if it were 25 years old and eligible for Antique registration.

frenchyd