Classic Motorsports Car Catcher: TR4 Time Capsule

Date Jan 17, 2017

Written by Ed Higginbotham

Love a car with an interesting backstory? This 1962 Triumph TR4 might interest you. Bring a Trailer is auctioning it off this week. As the story goes, the car actively competed through the 1970s and part of the ‘80s but then never saw the track again until last year at the Jefferson 500 at Summit Point Motorsports Park. That event didn’t go according to plan. The car overheated and after piecing an engine back together, the owner is selling. It comes with many spares, including more of those massive fender flares. What do you think it will sell for?

Get all the latest Classic Motorsports news in your mailbox six times a year. Subscribe now.

Join Free
Join our community to easily find more Triumph news.

Reader comments:

LanEvo
LanEvo Reader
Jan. 9, 2017 3:50 p.m.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention...don't know how I missed it!

I've been looking for a TR6 project but I'm going to bid on this.

LanEvo
LanEvo Reader
Jan. 12, 2017 11:32 a.m.

I went ahead and bid.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy Dork
Jan. 12, 2017 12:59 p.m.
LanEvo wrote: I went ahead and bid.

If you do end up winning it, let me know. I'd be interested in buying a set of those flared fenders for my TR4. (or making a set from the molds). . . Good Luck

LanEvo
LanEvo Reader
Jan. 12, 2017 4:31 p.m.

I'm a little nervous since it doesn't look like the car can run with most organizations without modification. As it stands, it's limited to groups like VARAC G70+ in which it would be totally uncompetitive. Besides, I do already have a vintage racecar built for that class ... so it doesn't really make much sense.

I've got to figure out what I'm going to do (and how high I'm willing to bid).

What I really need is a second street car. It would be more reasonable to find a clean TR6, which was my plan in the first place.

fasted58
fasted58 UltimaDork
Jan. 12, 2017 4:54 p.m.

Those classy looks, bet that'd be a hoot to race. BAT questioned the fiberglass fenders as being eligible. Not being up on historic sanctions and rules is this a big deal? Would hate to have to convert it back to steel fenders, looks awesome as it is.

Not a lot of spares, stock top end (although ported head and race cam included), will this hold the sale price down? Bet you could recoup some money w/ those molds tho.

$3600 current bid w/ under 24 hrs left.

LanEvo
LanEvo Reader
Jan. 12, 2017 6:04 p.m.

It's neither fish nor fowl at the moment.

Too modified to run with the real vintage groups. Not modified enough to be competitive in classes like Group 70+ where it would be up against the likes of the E30 M3, 944/968, and 964. You couldn't get a current SCCA or NASA logbook without totally redoing the cage.

Kind of falls between the cracks.

You'll need to log in to post.

The Latest

Touring Old Smoky

1 day ago in Articles

The Classic Motorsports Staff and Our Readers Tame Tail of the Dragon.

Tech Tips: 1965-'68 Shelby Mustang GT350

2 days ago in Articles

Shelby’s transformation of the Mustang is the stuff of legend. When it comes to making it even better, Cobra Automotive ...

Back to Basics

1 week ago in Articles

Perennial Pro Racer Randy Pobst Goes Old-School in a Brutally Fast, No-Frills Chevron B36

Hang Out With John Morton at the Classic Motorsports Mitty Presented by Hagerty

1 week ago in News

Both the Nissan and Datsun marques will be featured at this spring’s Speedfest at the Classic Motorsports Mitty.

Original Bullitt Mustang to Appear at Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance

1 week ago in News

Our friends at Hagerty have a surprise for everyone at the 2018 Amelia Island Concours d'Elegance.

Join Us at the Champagne British Car Festival

2 weeks ago in News

Want to celebrate British cars with us?

Shop Secrets

2 weeks ago in Articles

80 Clever Tips for Streamlining Your Workspace

Our Preferred Partners

Mlassic Motorsports Magazine

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Classic Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More