Feb 3, 2015 update to the Tornado Typhoon project car

Building a Headrest

We test-fitted the headrest with a piece of cardboard as a template.
Done, and all in about an hour

The final step in our Tornado‘s cage was to build a period correct headrest. Any vintage organization will require this headrest, and it is a nice safety feature for vintage rallying as well.

We love cheap and easy, so we took an old trunk hinge from a E28 (1982-1988) BMW 5 Series, cut it to fit the cage and the back of our helmet.

From there, we drilled holes of increasing size, towards the center, not only to make the headrest a bit lighter, but make it look a lot cooler. First we welded a plate to mount a padded and fabric covered board on and then we welded the hinge to the cross bar and voila, we have a cool-looking, cheap-as-chips vintage headrest.

We will then take some scraps left over from the seat material and add padding to the metal plate.

Get all the latest of our classic projects in your mailbox six times a year. Subscribe now.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more project updates.
Comments
View comments on the CMS forums
Sponsored by

ebay

Our Preferred Partners
9ODdOIxWPEs0pBJ7lSW6uejioxhbFF7HhyKTh9hGiIKvTWbdHXSsbHmGzXddBAEG