Sep 8, 2014 update to the Tornado Typhoon project car

We Begin to Strip the Tornado’s Body

For some strange reason, a previous owner had covered the original floor wells with some poorly executed fiberglass repairs.
Ahh, late nights and Red Bull. Here we take a break from stripping the body to pretend we are nearly done with this arduous restoration. The gray areas of the body have been stripped back to primer and will be sanded, making sure we don’t remove any gelcoat.

With our 1958 Tornado Typhoon‘s body on our new jig, we could begin to strip off the badly applied green paint. Even before that step, we found some terrible fiberglass repairs that needed to be removed. The original floor wells had been covered with poorly made fiberglass repairs. These were easy to remove, as the prep work had been done so badly, that there was little or no adhesion between the original body and the repairs.

From there we started to sand and scrape the paint from the body, being careful not to damage the gelcoat.

Get all the latest of our classic projects in your mailbox six times a year. Subscribe now.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more project updates.
Comments
View comments on the CMS forums
Sponsored by

ebay

Our Preferred Partners
D3YPGTNKkF9bEuzh11lCbA6d6Cvzr9PGpvOZ0JGXhthd8YJw1YV1hntmyDVnneAX