Jul 11, 2007 update to the Sunbeam Tiger project car

A New Heart for the Tiger

We had to grind the motor mounts some, as well as heat and bend the headers to make everything clear properly.
Yes, the engine fits, but we will most likely need to look for a single plane intake manifold that sits a little lower.

After nearly a three week hiatus—we took readers to both Germany and England for classic car tours—we are back working on our Tiger. Last time we told you about the monster stroker motor we built. This time we are pleased to tell you we got the new engine into the Tiger.

People who are familiar with these cars know that the engine install is not an easy job. Especially if you start changing stuff around. We got some headers from Abacus racing that the owner, Chuck Botwright, had bought for his own Tiger project but had decided not to use. They are from Sunbeam Specialties. We are not sure how they fit a stock Tiger with a 260, but with an aluminum head 289, these headers needed a bit of massaging to fit the car. Once everything fit correctly, we shipped our headers to be coated by Swain Technology. Swain offers a special coating system that they promise will lower header temperature by at least 300 degrees. As hot as Tigers tend to run, especially when modified, we thought this was a good idea.

Next, we will assemble the front suspension in an attempt to make this car roll again. We want to get it off our lift where it has sat for the last six months.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more project updates.
Comments
View comments on the CMS forums
Sponsored by

Classic Sunbeam Auto Parts

ebay

Our Preferred Partners
DgTlmvVSzaQIfLctWpMRtxTba74qN0pfgOcU5jWna5L9tteUuVmtYNerK6IsMWCH