Nov 23, 2005 update to the Sunbeam Tiger project car

Stripping the Tiger

Ahhh…Beautiful non-rusted floors.
Here’s a detail of the floor..some of that’s the original dark blue paint.
The Tiger in its present state.

Our Tiger is mostly disassembled. We left it as a roller, as it is much easier to move around as we work on other projects like our Group 44 Triumph GT6 and our nearly finished 1963 Ford Ranchero shop truck.

We have good news to report! The car came apart with relative ease and we found no rust (except the little bit we originally saw in the quarter panels). Most of the chrome is in good shape, as this car has only 41,000 miles and has been stored inside for a long time. The rubber was horrible though. Interesting how the British seemed to be better at chroming than they were at building rubber parts.

Our fears turned to joy when we pulled up the original carpeting and found beautiful painted floors with only a touch of surface rust.

Our next step is to strip the Tiger to bare metal and fix the aforementioned shunt to the left front. We are debating whether we will dip, media blast or just sand down the body.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more project updates.
Comments
View comments on the CMS forums
Sponsored by

Classic Sunbeam Auto Parts

ebay

Our Preferred Partners
LJBQnSIQ9wkiDrDHgzM8DflZcsOEPPo6Qxu8uQm19iBcavG3kLyQ6sppjb4A8ZAv