Mar 27, 2006 update to the Alfa Romeo 2000 GTV project car

A Fruitful Weekend of Alfa Work

We scrubbed the bumpers using Lime-a-way, an acid based cleaner that’s meant for bathrooms. Worked great!
Installing the cleaned-up light housings.
You can see a slight divot above the bumper. We’ll probaby have this fixed while the engine compartment is being painted.
Door catches from the parts car cleaned up nicely.

Saturday dawned bright and clear here in Florida and we wasted no time driving out to DeLand to pick more parts off our rusted parts car. We got the front bumper, the rest of the glass and even the door catches.

We also tried to get the ignition switch, but it’s got a bit of a “snag” in it when the key is turned. It works, but it might have to be passed over in exchange for a new one (about $150). One interesting score was the original trunk carpet, which just needs a good cleaning.

We also scrubbed, bead-blasted and painted the light housings. It’s often been said that headlights make the car’s face (i.e.: they look like eyes) so having a face to our car makes it look so much more appealing. It’s weird how psychology affects car restoration.

We then bolted on the rest of the lights and the bumper.

The parts car yielded the inner door catches, as our car was missing these. It took quite a while to adjust them so that the car doors closed with a “click” and not a slam. Now we’ll probably have to readjust them with the new door seals.

Join Free Join our community to easily find more project updates.
Comments
View comments on the CMS forums
Sponsored by

Classic Motorsports House Ad

Our Preferred Partners
Fp03NT1wHcoi3MUa63N2BALqDKc0QredxPSx8h98SEmEmTbex2mfIE6V8mjwh9rM