Started on May 21 by motomoron

1962 Austin-Healey Sprite MkII

15

I bought it as a comprehensively trashed ex-race car turned autocross heap. No interior, 1000 roll bar holes, rear wheel arches cut out and “flaired” w/ a sledgehammer. Significant body damage on every panel, many hideous spray can, brush and roller paint jobs. Included many, many crates of parts. The entire package filled a full size roll back wrecker. I spent about 2800 hours over 3 years restoring it. Aside from paying a pro to recore the radiator I did everything else. I cut apart one donor car to get top halves of rear fenders and a left rear lamp house. A later midget gave up a rib case gearbox and disc brakes. The seller of that donor later surrendered the fully built gazillion dollar 1275 motor his brother had built as well. Color is Speedwell blue (named after the flower, evidently, not the team) which was a correct color in ‘62. And it’s not British Racing Green or Resale Red, which 73% of all Brit cars are painted… Engine has 9.5:1 CR, blueprinted rods, forged pistons, Megadyne 266 cam, stock valve diameters, moderate headwork, port matched Cannon manifold w/ Weber 45DCOE carb, LCB manifold, home made exhaust. This is the rarest of cars: one on which a Monza tip does not look ghetto. Suspension is stock but for some (1970s) race valved lever shocks and a homemade panhard bar. Wheels are Minitor copies of Panasports which are copies of Minilites. 5x13, and in need of stickier tires. 3.9 rear axle ratio, but I have one of every ratio diff including a set of 4.55 gears on a Detroit Locker. This choice piece of vintage iron can be utilized as soon as I amass an inexhaustible supply of axles. The car at present is going back together following fresh paint last fall. nearly 10 years of garage rash had it looking pretty doggy. I’ll post more pics when it’s done shortly…

Latest updates
Jan. 07
Springs?

The original 15 leaf units gave crazy-low ride height yet were too hard. The currently …

Jan. 07
Back in...

Fresh underhood paint, engine reseal and paint, rebuilt front suspension w/ 340# springs, urethane bushings, …

Jan. 07
After...

Fresh paint, new seals, water pump, clutch

Jan. 07
Dirty little engine...

Before

Sept. 14
Blue again...

2 or 3 coats of the special blue PPG Delstar next…

Sept. 14
Etch primer first...

PPG epoxy/etch primer. DPX 170/171 if I recall. I had exactly enough to shoot everything.

Sept. 14
Prep...

Consisted of scrubbing w/ Simple Green and hot water followed by a non-HVLP spray gun …

Sept. 14
Stripped...

of suspension, hydraulics, electical, etc.

Sept. 14
Front sheet metal...

all comes off as an assembly. Spreader bar made of a stick of conduit w/ …

Sept. 14
Uggh...

This’ll be fun to paint…

Sept. 14
Out...

Dirty…

Sept. 14
2 steps forward, 7 steps back...

I arrived at the point where all the shiny stuff was on the outside and …

Join Free Join our community to easily find more reader's rides.
Add your comment
See more
Our Preferred Partners
gAnniVQJWaiYedtJScdtCgY8BqTuRbSX5MPPwjzeepEFMqx83CcmBpsLsVk4G5UK