Started on Nov. 30 by JoeyM

1932 Datsun Type 11 Phaeton (replica)

21

This street rod is powered by a 1982 maxima L24(e) station wagon engine, and was built to resemble a 1932 Datsun Type 11 Phaeton. I made the chassis locost-style using lots of 1-inch square tubing, but used the front suspension from a 1990 dodge dakota (a short-ish double wishbone), the rear shocks of a Toyota Rav4, and shortened leaf springs from the station wagon. The grill shell, cowl, doors and body formed from sheet metal off of broken appliances. The specs: length: 135 inches wheelbase: 96 inches front track: 60.8 inches weight: ~2100 lbs (that’s what the truck stop weigh station says) power: ~100 hp (this is a guess. The L24 in a 240Z was 120) See the updates build thread to see what happened during the build. https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/my-datsun-build/18604/page1/

Latest updates
Jan. 22
She's street legal!!!

It took 12 years to get there, but the car is now tagged and can …

Dec. 19
test fitting a fender

Here I am with one of the fenders that Andrew Nelson kindly donated to my …

Dec. 19
running car, body panels fitted

not street legal yet, but she runs. I like this angle because you can get …

Dec. 19
she runs

not street legal yet, but she runs

May 13
rear sheet metal mounted

The gas tank is mounted, and the rear quarter panels and curved back piece are …

Feb. 08
windshield frame

now, with a windshield frame

Nov. 13
another side shot

I put the body panels and exhaust back on and then rolled it outside for …

Nov. 12
Driver's door

Well, I finally got up the courage to finish the skin on the driver’s door. …

April 17
fabricating the exhaust

I worked on the exhaust this weekend.

March 18
fabricated the rear end

the panels for the back end are clecoed in place.

Feb. 15
more hood modification

playing cut-and-paste to make it fit better

Jan. 15
I started building the hood

There’s still a LOT of work to do before the hood is complete, but I …

Dec. 30
fabricated the rest of the grill

Dad and I broke out the bead roller to make the lower grill insert, and …

Dec. 21
Finally mounted the engine

I finally manned up, fabricated some motor mounts, and put the engine in place. It’s …

Oct. 21
welding sheet metal without distortion

All my earlier problems were because I didn’t realize how slowly I had to move …

Oct. 19
gear selector

I’m using a slushbox in the datsun replica. (Not because I want to….because it was …

Sept. 18
cut more metal

cut metal for the firewall….I still need to roll some beads to stiffen it

Sept. 17
more of the cowl

The side clamped into place…still not welded, though.

Sept. 07
cowl fabrication picture

working on the passenger’s side of the upper cowl

Sept. 07
cowl

I got to play with the english wheel and bead roller as I fabricated the …

Oct. 04
from the side/back

this time, from the rear. I’m not sure about how, or if, I’ll modify the …

Oct. 04
square peg, small hole

I tried squeezing the engine into the 1932 datsun frame. It is a very tight …

Sept. 30
pulled the engine

I pulled the engine out of my donor yesterday. Next up….figuring how to mount it …

June 20
attached the front end

I welded the front end into place today

April 21
trying to find shocks

I had the rear leaf springs shortened and re-rolled, and I’ve cut the tubing for …

March 15
rear suspension

I took the rear end off the maxima wagon and put it under the phaeton …

Join Free Join our community to easily find more reader's rides.
Add your comment
See more
Our Preferred Partners
dpDhfPczjfU9rN538cHX9QyoHxgMANE4ZEqorfUGKgzTZBgSdsioygVYuJFtv7j7