6 7 8 9 10
Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
11/15/21 5:49 p.m.
Mr. Peabody said:

I may be looking at one today

I drove it. It's not for me. I also drove a 16 Elantra GT with a 6 spd. manual and I loved it.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/16/21 8:14 a.m.

In reply to Mr. Peabody :

My goal is to swap the trans from that to the rio with LSD. 2-3 isn't as wide a gap as mine.

Mr. Peabody
Mr. Peabody UltimaDork
11/16/21 4:44 p.m.

As well as a much more appropriate final drive ratio

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/26/21 9:08 a.m.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/26/21 10:54 a.m.

So the parts are here. I reached out to Evilla Motorsports for suggestions on Rio things as they've put together a couple fun cars to use for Grid Life's Sundae Cup. They offered a decent discount for some sticker wearing and I was more than happy to oblige. Axle back (so I can actually hear the car under acceleration), rear sway bar, torsion mount bushings and shifter bushings. The axleback and sway bars they make on order to fit your model (SX has twin tips, the EX/LX have a hidden turn down) and it's quality. Great welds, solid materials. Overall very happy. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/27/21 4:17 p.m.

did a couple things at work today. Only thing left to install are the shifter cable bushings. Muffler sounds gooooood. The tall skinny all seasons don't let me feel the rear bar. The biggest difference is the torsion mount bushings. Wow... the old ones were squishabke by my thumb and finger. There's more vibration in the cabin but the clutch engagement doesn't make noise and motion. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
11/27/21 5:12 p.m.

weight weenies want to know the exhaust differences cheeky

dual port rear looks racey too

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/28/21 7:31 a.m.

Other than the rust that came off the car on both ends.... they're almost identical in weight. They used stainless thick walled pipe in a larger diameter.  And I added about 3 lbs for the rsb 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/28/21 4:04 p.m.

Today was clean the garage day and replace the 8' fluorescent light that died with an led in 8'. 

these are just Rio wheels. Not including the 8 on the two cars and 2 spares. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/5/22 10:13 a.m.

Well, the flex pipe finally died. It was getting noisier the last few weeks but on the way to work last week it got to be louder UNDER the car than at the tailpipe. So replacement will be here today. Also on the ice the car was completely unstable. Checked toe and it's got 5/8" of toe out. Yep... that'll do it. IT's cold and I've been working a lot so it's sitting outside righ now 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/6/22 2:21 p.m.

Ordered rotors for the turd. Found Callahan branded rotors for $100 a set. Ordered two sets for $211 shipped. 

YoursTruly
YoursTruly New Reader
1/6/22 2:35 p.m.

You seem like you are having more fun than me. My Miata is so modified and has been beaten for so long that it needs constant attention between events.

You just might inspire me to go back to basics and have fun again. Kudos on track rat things.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/20/22 11:42 a.m.

Did some work in the garage figuring out suspension tweaks for next year. Ride height was perfect imo but I hate crash bolts for camber. These are my old first gen forte camber plates and they will fit with a little grinding on the corners and drilling two holes. 

the bigger issue is going to be the brake line rubbing on the passenger side. So I tweaked the end link mount to swap it to the inside. Just need to find some end links with the bolts facing the same side about 10" long. I'll probably still need to "s" shape them a little to keep from binding. 

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
2/28/22 2:49 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

I'm amazed you can reuse those that easily.. but props man!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/28/22 3:04 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet (Forum Supporter) :

Well..................... Apparently you can if you're wiling to drill through the spo weld and beat the tower a litle from the inside. I wasn't, so new moog crash bolts just hit my door step.

Good news is my tie rods are now adjustable again so that's a thing and the suspension is back on. Just need to adjust the height in the front a little (doing the carolina squat doesnt look great on this car). NCM GridLife event coing up FAST. 

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
2/28/22 10:27 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

yeah.. NCM will be here before you know it..

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/4/22 5:45 a.m.

Got most of my prep for the season sone yesterday. Crash bolts in, trans and brake fluid changed/flushed, alignment set and brakes gone over. After replacing the wife's rear frozen caliper I felt a complete checkup was due to make me feel better. Repainted all the calipers again, apparently the car still thinks it's in NE Ohio because rust. 

brake fluid has only been in for about 11 months but looked really good. This is what came out, I almost feel like I wasted $6. 

pads/rotors go on next weekend for NCM. After next weekend I'll swap over the one lap tires and the car is ready. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/16/22 7:29 p.m.

such a great weekend. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/17/22 11:04 a.m.

Friday and Saturday was for the Gridlife Bunny Bash event at NCM. Incidentally this time last year at NCM was this cars first outing to do what it was bought to do. 

got down Thursday after work, set up tent,  worked tech until well after 10 then had sone drinks with friends I haven't seen since last October. 

Friday morning early sessions in the largest sundae cup field to date, 15 cars. 

Went out on last years tires and dropped 6 seconds from last years best time. Second season i found more and ended the day 9seconds faster than previously there and sitting 2 up from the bottom. Made passes on others, got passed. Worked hard to stay ahead of the TSX on continental slicks (I did, for the weekend).

More adult beverages and a cruise to sonic. Great times. Thunderstorms rolling through curves sone of the evenings entertainment but we still had fun. 

Saturday first session was a wet track so as a group we went out to do "buddy laps" which is always a great time. I watched from the back (intentionally) and giggled at the shenanigans. 

photo borrowed here. Second session, which was meant to be my last do I could pack up at lunch, went out and did 3 laps, dropping another 3 seconds off my time to put me over 12 seconds faster at NCM and 2 up from the bottom. Last session others found more time and I ended up in 14th and well off the pace but happy with myself. 

we also have a dyno on site as well as scales. Since sundae cup is a power:weight class I've been a little cautious because by the old rules with fhp I was illegal at weight. With the rules refined to be who only, we strapped it down and got a real number to work with. 

https://youtu.be/RB1kCAICV1A

103. Bad part is TCS freaks the f out on a dyno. Even off it throws all the lights at the dash (tcs, abs, brake) because apparently 120mph reading in the front tires and 0 in the rear isn't normal. This meant it cut the revs to 5900. Normal shift point is 6700. So there might be a few more further up as the stock power was at 6300iirc. 

then came scales. Ugh..... it's with driver. 

that's with a full tank, 235lbs of me a spare and helmet and a jacket to simulate a fire suit. So the car as it sits should be right at 2500lbs on its own. So that put me well within the rules of 22:1. Also means I can safely drop weight off both me and the car!

Plus the car made the main IG feed:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CcbGgp0DNKD/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

the run home was uneventful which is good. A few takeaways from the weekend to improve for One Lap: car is great but a little more camber won't be bad. Be easy on the speeds and the fuel economy will reward. Running at 75 actual speed is fine. 80 is not. She burns through fuel at that pace at about 30mpg because the indicated is 86. But overall I'm happy. Nothing major (a rock hit cracked the windshield) broke or damaged and the car was reliable, fun and easy to live with. 

13 days and counting now!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
4/19/22 1:35 p.m.

https://galleries.page.link/AXpVw

That is a sexy ass...

This really shows tire deflection well.

Photo credits to Rob Wilkinson and the GridLife media crew.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/26/22 8:23 a.m.

So a lot has happened this year. Blackhawk Farms, One Lap, Midwest Fest, started instructing etc. One thing that has gotten worse is the oil consumption. Now, this engine does spend a lot of time above 4k rpms on track weekends. I know that. But just DD hypermiling like I have been will still suck down a half quart in 1500 miles. As much oil as it had dripping out of the pcv hose, I gave in and installed the catch can I had on the Tib. We'll see how much oil it catches. 

Second issue I kept having was the drivers wheel slipping camber under hard cornering. Pretty annoying, so with the help of Gumby we slotted the top holes a little more and welded washers in place to give it a fixed amount and using the factory upper bolts instead of crash bolts. So now the coilovers have -3.3* of camber fixed.

Also modified the upper mount area to install the old Forte plates to use as caster plates. Car has 4.5* of caster stock, once the plates are installed I'm hoping for 6. 

615's are wearing well. abou 5k street miles, one lap and 3 track events since along with the gryp/lyft taxi sessions at MWF. Brakes are noisy but strong and showing no signs of wear. So other than oil consumption the car has been really trouble free for a track car serving as DD. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/26/22 8:25 a.m.

Lots of tire deflection from MWF!

rolling 4 deep.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms HalfDork
7/26/22 9:08 a.m.
bobzilla said:

So a lot has happened this year. Blackhawk Farms, One Lap, Midwest Fest, started instructing etc. One thing that has gotten worse is the oil consumption. Now, this engine does spend a lot of time above 4k rpms on track weekends. I know that. But just DD hypermiling like I have been will still suck down a half quart in 1500 miles. As much oil as it had dripping out of the pcv hose, I gave in and installed the catch can I had on the Tib. We'll see how much oil it catches. 

Second issue I kept having was the drivers wheel slipping camber under hard cornering. Pretty annoying, so with the help of Gumby we slotted the top holes a little more and welded washers in place to give it a fixed amount and using the factory upper bolts instead of crash bolts. So now the coilovers have -3.3* of camber fixed.

Also modified the upper mount area to install the old Forte plates to use as caster plates. Car has 4.5* of caster stock, once the plates are installed I'm hoping for 6. 

615's are wearing well. abou 5k street miles, one lap and 3 track events since along with the gryp/lyft taxi sessions at MWF. Brakes are noisy but strong and showing no signs of wear. So other than oil consumption the car has been really trouble free for a track car serving as DD. 

What is it with Hyundai/Kias and the slipping bolts. Never had this much of an issue on any other manufacturer.

Welding washers seems to be the fix across the board.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/26/22 9:11 a.m.

In reply to kevinatfms :

Had the same problem on both the Forte and the Tib. The solution to the tib was new bolts/nuts with fresh "teeth" on the faces. That seemed to work well.

6 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Oy6FcU9lsNVoIyL9nZAA70dCGzqZYkzIKZB3U1QGwQMM9L5mULj6x5GoOXjthtp2