1 2 3
jstancel
jstancel Reader
11/27/16 8:50 a.m.

The 3in lift is so cheap that I had to give it a try. The original plan was to use it on my Miata Truck project but it looks too good lowered. Instead of feeling like I wasted $180, I bought another Miata for the lift.

Picked up a rode hard and put up wet 1999 NB. Maintenance records are nonexistence and probably never performed so there is a long to do list.

The start:

Starting point

Coil trouble:

Misfire

Halfway up:

Lift underway

Getting there:

Lifted Miata

84FSP
84FSP Dork
11/27/16 8:11 p.m.

Looks like someone scared the E36M3 out of it. Looking forward to something big tired and Mad Max...

clshore
clshore New Reader
11/27/16 9:27 p.m.

Yeah, ought to be a wet spot under it.

Huckleberry
Huckleberry MegaDork
11/27/16 10:33 p.m.

I don't understand. Were there no AMC Eagles available on CL?

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 HalfDork
11/27/16 10:52 p.m.

What kind of wheels are in the first pic?

jstancel
jstancel Reader
11/28/16 7:09 a.m.
Blitzed306 wrote: What kind of wheels are in the first pic?

17x7 MSW wheels. They are for sale if anybody is interested. They came with the car.

Lof8
Lof8 HalfDork
11/28/16 8:07 a.m.

what kind of wheels/tires do you plan to end up with? What kind of uses do you have in mind for the car? rallycross?

jstancel
jstancel Reader
11/28/16 9:07 a.m.

I ordered the DOT approved Bassett 15x8 steel wheels. Tires will be 235/75r15 all terrains (might go for some aggressive mud terrains later) Rallycross would for sure be fun but the main goal for it is to be a daily driver and capable for weekend adventures.

RedGT
RedGT HalfDork
11/28/16 3:06 p.m.

I hate you for making me aware of this. I have a rusty 'winter miata'. I have $180. Ruh-roh.

Curious how it drives. You have both sway bars disconnected now? Do the 14x6 wheels clear through the full range of travel? Apparently the 14x5.5's do not, according to FM.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
11/28/16 3:38 p.m.

I did not know that there was a $180 reversible lift kit for these things. I'm having some bad ideas.

jstancel
jstancel Reader
11/29/16 7:15 a.m.
RedGT wrote: I hate you for making me aware of this. I have a rusty 'winter miata'. I have $180. Ruh-roh. Curious how it drives. You have both sway bars disconnected now? Do the 14x6 wheels clear through the full range of travel? Apparently the 14x5.5's do not, according to FM.

I have not driven the car for any distance since purchase due to the list of items I need to replace. It is also in desperate need of an alignment.

The 14x6 wheels are not rubbing currently but who knows what would happen if the camber was zeroed out. It was never my plan to keep the 14s on the car so fitment is not a concern.

I am undecided on sway bars. The rear is still hooked up but the front is not right now.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
11/29/16 4:55 p.m.

I'm new here...Has anybody figured out the ideal wheel size to go with the lift kit?

The0retical
The0retical Dork
11/29/16 4:57 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

Here you go

I want an Exocet with a stage 2 off road kit and LS swap in pretty much the worst way possible.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/29/16 5:44 p.m.
RedGT wrote: Curious how it drives. You have both sway bars disconnected now? Do the 14x6 wheels clear through the full range of travel? Apparently the 14x5.5's do not, according to FM.

We've had reports of rubbing on some stock wheels at full droop. A spacer should fix this up. Expect a little bit of experimentation. https://www.flyinmiata.com/lift-kit.html

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Wz-0RF4ur2A?rel=0

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/29/16 5:45 p.m.
Woody wrote: I'm new here...Has anybody figured out the ideal wheel size to go with the lift kit?

What size is the hole in the middle of your tires?

We used a 15x7 +30 on our Exocet when we were screwing around with this. Standard SM fitment. No clearance problems with that setup and a set of V-Maxx coilovers.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
11/29/16 8:30 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Woody wrote: I'm new here...Has anybody figured out the ideal wheel size to go with the lift kit?
What size is the hole in the middle of your tires? We used a 15x7 +30 on our Exocet when we were screwing around with this. Standard SM fitment. No clearance problems with that setup and a set of V-Maxx coilovers.

I'm currently searching for another set of wheels, which plays right into this. No fancy coilovers though.

RevRico
RevRico Dork
11/29/16 8:59 p.m.

In reply to Woody:

I got the set I'll be using for off-road from of all places, pep boys. Now till the end of the year their "proline" brand is but 3 get one free for wheels. Put me in a set of all black 15x7 35offset for around $260. They aren't the lightest wheels, but they have styles from basic to bling.

I feel disappointed in myself. One of the first people to get the kit from FM and it's still sitting in its box down in the garage.

jstancel
jstancel Reader
12/4/16 9:55 a.m.

Went for a couple trail tests this weekend. Lifted Miata

Before cleaning at the car wash

Muddy lifted Miata

Drove to my friend's house so both of my Miata projects can meet

Both projects

RedGT
RedGT HalfDork
12/4/16 10:20 a.m.

Okay that is just awesome.

clshore
clshore New Reader
12/4/16 10:25 a.m.

Not my style ... yet I find myself strangely attracted to this.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
12/4/16 12:52 p.m.

I like this way more than i should.

jstancel
jstancel Reader
12/4/16 1:39 p.m.
clshore wrote: Not my style ... yet I find myself strangely attracted to this.

I don't own a single sleeveless shirt and can't grow enough hair for a mullet but man I feel the need for both now. Somebody hand me an American flag koozie.

84FSP
84FSP Dork
12/4/16 2:39 p.m.

Mudding with the answer looks fun. Those tires look huge! Any rubbing issues at travel?

RedGT
RedGT HalfDork
12/4/16 3:12 p.m.

How much cutting did you do?

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
12/5/16 7:40 a.m.
84FSP wrote: Mudding with the answer looks fun. Those tires look huge! Any rubbing issues at travel?

also what size tires are they?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fbQ0FfUhphwuGDm7v73ibEksYUiUwpqoJQ88EqGVG442R6IaygAJ5BHhDSgMAZlv