mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/21/17 2:58 p.m.
759NRNG wrote: What a site to behold not to mention a thing of beauty.....MotoGP? interwebb only? Favorite rider? for me Valentino Rossi!!!

MotoGP is magic. I've been a fan for years, I have my favorites, but I always want to see Rossi on the top step. I was in Austin for the first race there a couple of years ago and I'm excited to go back. Watching the bikes in person is other worldly.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
4/21/17 3:16 p.m.

my first comment on the prev post was for 'DA LUMP' You two boyz be careful and ENJOY!!!....on a different note, while you're performing open heart on 'DA LUMP' my day so far has consisted of cleaning the carb on the splitter

thedanimal
thedanimal Reader
4/21/17 3:55 p.m.

I'll be at MotoGP on Sunday for the race. I'll probably be bumming at turn 11, I'd love to buy you an overpriced beverage.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
4/21/17 5:05 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote:

I envy you your shade tree.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
4/21/17 5:10 p.m.

The family and I will be there Sunday. We really need to get together at some point.

Galane
Galane New Reader
4/21/17 5:43 p.m.

In reply to Jerry From LA:

Actual shade tree mechanicing. :)

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/21/17 5:50 p.m.

He has to work in the street, but he put out a traffic cone and has that amazing tree. It looks like one of those fake magazine pictures.
I'm going to start a thread in the main GRM section to see if we can't coordinate a place to meet at MotoGP.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
4/22/17 9:30 a.m.

You should do an EFI Bitrouble.... It'll be a few years before I get another.

grover
grover New Reader
4/23/17 12:12 p.m.

That traffic cone cracked me up.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/24/17 2:55 p.m.

Dropped the fuel rail off with Ronnie this morning because the guy doing the welding/machining wants to do it right and make sure it all fits. That makes me happy. Cleaned up the rest of the cam end cover phaser thingies and replaced the gasket.
Also replaced the gaskets on the valve covers. If you pull your valve covers for any reason you should replace these. They're cheap and it makes a horrible mess if they leak. I put them back on with dowels because it occurred to me that I didn't get new spark plug hole seals, and I really should. I also put on the air injection valves and assorted bits. Assembly note, put everything on the front of the motor before the oil filter housing and the tensioner. You can get the rest on and torqued properly if you don't. But it's much harder than it needs to be. Torqued down all the bracketry for the power steering pump and loosely hung the AC compressor when my alarm to go get the kids from school went off. Starting to look complicated again.

I'm concerned that the R63 is bleeding out into real life. Yesterday I'm sitting at MotoGP with my daughter and my friend Dave sits down next to me. He didn't know I was going to be there and he looks at me as says, "I just had a conversation about you." The story goes that he was on the shuttle bus in from the far reaches of the parking lots when a guy sitting next to him geeks out about an E63 they drove by. Dave leans over and says "you know what's even cooler, the R63" and smiles, just being the smartass he his. And the guy immediately starts telling Dave about this guy in Houston who has one that's all apart but it's almost back together and the cams just went in. This dude was completely caught up on the thread, or so the story goes. Dave said he would have brought him to meet me if he knew I was there.
It was a weird story, and I'm inclined to scepticism, but if you're real Mr. Shuttle Bus Guy, let me know.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
4/24/17 3:34 p.m.

Great to see the progress! Maybe the next time I'm down you'll have it all back together!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/24/17 3:50 p.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:

Here's to hoping that "together" and "running" are synonymous.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
4/24/17 3:59 p.m.

Haha that's the truth.

Galane
Galane New Reader
4/25/17 4:03 a.m.

For some reason I was suddenly thinking "Just one bolt" to the tune of "Just one look". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM_nfDPgcuI

Anyone good at re-writing song lyrics? ;)

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
4/25/17 8:32 a.m.

MaZD, so after this weekend are we looking at 'pocket bikes' for you and Deucekid#1 to terrorize the Hood

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/25/17 1:43 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG:

Bikes, or maybe a Volt, or a medium duty truck, or......something? Always something. But for now I should fix the R63.

Tightened all of the motor mount bolts, 53Nm. Reconnected the front driveshaft, 54Nm. Reattached the cats to the exhaust manifolds, 20Nm. Put the rest of the pulleys on, 20Nm, snugged up the AC compressor and alternator, 20Nm all around. The only thing I could still do today is tighten the crank pulley bolt. I'm waiting on that. No good reason, I just am. And now I wait for spark plug gaskets and injector O rings and the intake and then push this big bastard back under the van.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/25/17 2:44 p.m.

Anybody know what the proper name for the spark plug tube seals is? I can't find the on any parts diagrams.

mck1117
mck1117 New Reader
4/25/17 2:50 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

I've seen them referred to as part of the valvecover gasket (even though they're physically separate), but that was BMW.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/25/17 3:04 p.m.

Found it! Part number 1560162121 in case anyone needs them.

Edit: those little rubber circles are $6.12 each. Which is down from a list price of $8.50. I'm glad I'm spreading these parts orders over a long time so Mrs. Deuce doesn't catch on.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
4/25/17 11:15 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: I'm glad I'm spreading these parts orders over a long time so Mrs. Deuce doesn't catch on.

Too late.

Crackers
Crackers Reader
4/25/17 11:32 p.m.

While I think your van is awesome, $50 for a small parts envelope full of what amounts to "o-rings" is why I don't envy you. LOL

I just spent about the same to replace all the seals in Sheila's transmission and transfer case, and I'm not complaining.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
4/26/17 4:16 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: And now I wait for spark plug gaskets and injector O rings and the intake and then push this big bastard back under the van.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
4/26/17 8:16 a.m.

We await the reappearance of THOR's spanner

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/26/17 8:35 a.m.
Crackers wrote: While I think your van is awesome, $50 for a small parts envelope full of what amounts to "o-rings" is why I don't envy you. LOL

$50 for eight tiny rubber doughnuts is painful, but for some reason I'm all committed to doing this as right as possible. Maybe I'm hoping the gods of automotive luck smile upon my flaming pyre of cash?
I also spent $40 on special zip ties. A bunch of each of the three sizes. The car only uses two sizes and I think I only need three of them total, but I much as well buy a bunch for other projects. At least I'll have a part number for you guys for the proper part in a couple of days.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA SuperDork
4/26/17 10:35 a.m.

Look at it this way...not spending 50 bucks for injector seals means the resulting future intake leaks will play havoc with the computer. I would guess there was minor leaking already, given the mileage on them and the harsh conditions under which they function. Every time I ever replaced injector seals, there was a marked improvement in how the car ran, regardless of how good the old ones looked. They are precision machined for a tight seal. The rubber ages and hardens after a few thousand heat cycles and they don't do their job as well. That's 50 bucks you absolutely won't regret.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gGNy845OQACrh6esJGMqVChdNWtW3SsIyE95ygtypvIxqGgmfIWTunHZcf5ytpdI