1 2
Blaise
Blaise New Reader
4/28/17 2:45 p.m.

Guy next to me at work is retiring and getting rid of everything. Extra houses, tools, you name it - all gone. He tried to list this on CL but got nothing but insane lowball offers. He said he'd part with it for $6k. Runs and drives, radiator needs a new drain plug (haven't looked at it yet).

I honestly have no idea what this is worth, nor do I think he does, but the $2-3k offers seemed nuts. It's got new tie rod ends and ball joints and wheel cylinders.

Anyone?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
4/28/17 2:49 p.m.

It's not the kind of car that people are looking for. If he can get three grand he should grab it.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Dork
4/28/17 3:14 p.m.

That's really a specialized market. I think 4-5K is reasonable but that market is dying fast. The demand for non super special pre-80's stuff is getting pretty thin right now. This is a good car to try and get on a more national stage like hemmings or BAT and take what the market gives you.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/28/17 3:16 p.m.

I disagree---- any car that old, in that nice a condition has got to be worth close to $10K. I'd think $6k is a steal.

Have him post it on a site like these.....or even (gasp) in Hemming's online, or in their big book. Judging by similar examples, he's way undervaluing his car:

1937 Dodge

1936 Dodge

dropstep
dropstep Dork
4/28/17 3:29 p.m.

Yeah something that solid at that age is an easy 8-10k around here. Prewar sheet metal isnt as hot as it once was but its still well loved.

GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
4/28/17 3:34 p.m.

Hell yes start at 12 and don't take less than 10. A DAY LONG!!! that is a beauty

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
4/28/17 3:38 p.m.

I'd say $6k is a pretty good price.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
4/28/17 3:40 p.m.

Anybody that has ever restored an old car knows you cannot get one to that condition for nowhere near $6k.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau HalfDork
4/28/17 3:51 p.m.

Let me put this in perspective. Guy up the street pulled a '37 Chevy Sedan out of a barn. Complete original car, with very little rust, but definitely not touched or run in multiple decades. Plopped it in his front yard with a sign for $4900. It was gone within two weeks. This was in the past month.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
4/28/17 4:46 p.m.

Suicide rear doors?

Nice.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo Mod Squad
4/28/17 5:18 p.m.

That's beautiful. Someone obviously loved it and took great care of it. I hope it finds a good home!

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
4/28/17 5:25 p.m.

I was thinking 10-12. 2-3 is rusting hulk rat rod territory. At 5-6k I'm interested

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
4/28/17 6:13 p.m.

In reply to oldtin:

Me too, but I have nowhere to put it.

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
4/28/17 6:14 p.m.

I would not feel bad about paying 10k for that at all.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
4/28/17 8:41 p.m.

damn.. I have the cash too. Too far away and no where to put it

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/28/17 9:04 p.m.

Crap. That has a Texas plate. Did anyone ask where it is yet? Please don't tell me..........

dropstep
dropstep Dork
4/28/17 10:17 p.m.

i keep coming back too this and staring at it. Not even a desirable car to me and i know its worth over 6k as a basket case project in ohio with sheetmetal that solid.

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
4/28/17 10:32 p.m.

If i had 6k laying around I would be getting shipping quotes right now

gunner
gunner Reader
4/28/17 10:44 p.m.

The first thing I thought when I saw the pics was 25k easy. He should negotiate down from there.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
4/28/17 11:06 p.m.

His problem is he needs to raise his price, people are stupid and won't let you give them a deal like that. If you're into that kind of thing you could probably pick it up for $6k, enjoy it for a couple years, and then sell it for double what you paid.

Blaise
Blaise New Reader
4/29/17 7:35 a.m.

Car is in southeastern Pennsylvania.

I've had similar reactions as you guys... I know that trying to create one would cost infinitely more, and I'm sure they paid a lot more before they fixed it up as well. But it's only worth as much as somebody will pay.

How does one go about getting BAT coverage?

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
4/29/17 7:55 a.m.
Blaise wrote: But it's only worth as much as somebody will pay.

The problem there is that the shiny happy people who are offering three grand and less are just hoping to get a decent starting point for something they're going to cut the hell up and ruin.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
4/29/17 8:05 a.m.

Pennsylkucky????

God why can't I get some storage?

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
4/29/17 8:06 a.m.

That looks too good to cut up or restomod. Hard to tell the true condition just from pics tho. A little rechroming, paint polishing and detailing and that there's a keeper. When I was a kid an old lady a few doors down had a '36, really dug that car.

At $6K that car oughta sell fast.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
4/29/17 8:09 a.m.

Ummm. How do we contact him. At that $$$ I am interested.

Southern Pennsylvania is a half day drive.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X03unKXJvSff3InnveDUXBSKejDZ4AEQ1buv2ONPxYgV4YBDANCJGCr7Rb6rIe5z