Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/17/17 3:25 p.m.

Yes, I SEARCHED N00B!!!!!1! Nothing particularly current or relevant was found. Sorry.

Driving home from the autocross last Saturday evening I got caught in the rain. Returning to the freeway after putting the top up on the shoulder, I experienced a, uhhh, "spontaneous self-actuating retraction event." Guess it wasn't latched as securely as I thought.

The top frame and fabric don't appear to be damaged, but the plastic back window is split horizontally about 4" down from the top, most of the way across.

It doesn't have a zip-in window that I see. I don't know the brand of the top or even if it is OE. It's old but in good shape, except for fading on the inside.

I can do the whole top if necessary, but what are my options for just a window replacement? I'd like it to look good and not leak.

Blaise
Blaise Reader
8/17/17 3:44 p.m.

I've tried twice.

https://www.miata.net/garage/rear_window/

It didn't work (couldn't get a good bond). A new top is $200 or so. I'd just replace it all.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/17/17 4:24 p.m.

Thanks! Actually a new Robbins top is $450 or so. Everything I've read says go with the Robbins.

[EDIT] Actually, looks like the panorama-style is about $100 cheaper.

pappatho
pappatho New Reader
8/17/17 8:06 p.m.

In reply to Duke:

I've cut out the old and replaced with marine vinyl. I followed some online guide that I think said to use Marine Goop. If I remember right that didn't hold until I also sewed over the top of the seam. That held up fine and probably would have outlasted the rest of the old top had I not sold the car.

If I remember right that was on a zip out rear window, so sewing would be more challenging with what you have.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/18/17 8:06 a.m.

Yeah, and I have a big fat dual diagonal rollbar, too. Thanks.

Blaise
Blaise Reader
8/18/17 9:50 a.m.

$185 for a top on amazon. I Have a Robbins and I'm not that impressed with it. It's a tough sell to spend 2-3x. Esp when all I use it for is to keep rain out when I'm not driving it (hard top all winter, top down all summer).

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane Dork
8/18/17 9:54 a.m.

Just as a point of reference, I have a "cheap" top (although I got spendy for the glass window), and mine is finally starting to wear out after 9 years. I'll probably replace it next year. It lives outside all the time, though, so I'm fairly happy with that. I can't imagine the Robbins looking any better or lasting any longer in the same conditions.

Oh, and I don't wash that car, either, so it never got any vinyl conditioner or stuff I'd do if I actually cosmetically maintained it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HqcBwtCMOkDDIelRPn4nPE2hyVjpdYxFMq6CucYzBgnBmpQ5nLxVFmDw99qvZzzp