1 2 3 4 5
Lof8
Lof8 HalfDork
4/17/17 5:43 p.m.

Suspension must remain all stock. What's a B spec car?

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
4/17/17 5:52 p.m.

In reply to mndsm:

1ZZ Corolla/Prizm was fixed cam timing for 98 and 99 only IIRC. They do handle ok (at least the ones with front and rear swaybars) and pull pretty good from 4k to the fuel cut. Stripped out you'd probably be approaching 2000lbs

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
4/17/17 5:57 p.m.

By stock, do they mean you have to use the stock parts, but can optimise camber settings, or do they have a camber number you need to stay within? If you can optimise, a Neon and a die grinder will net you eight degrees negative on the right, (front and rear) and at eight positive on the left. No die grinder, a Monroe strut with the slotted holes and a crash bolt will get you at around half of that.

If the second, find an Integra, because camber gain.

Forget horsepower. On an oval horsepower is useful only once you get around the corner.

I own a circle track Neon, with suspension well setup. I also own a supercharged 82 Camaro with well over twice the horsepower, koni's, eibachs, suspension techniques bars and better tires, but no circle track setup. The Neon is about a second a lap faster on a short 1/3 mile with eight degree banking.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
4/17/17 6:04 p.m.

Well you're in luck, there's no such thing as "Vtech" except for the old telephone maker. So Honda's VTEC should be totally legit right?

Why do they care so much about variable valve timing anyway? Tons of cars have it and it's only mega powerful in a Fast and Furious movie. Dumb.

I'd consider a Honda CRX Si as a result since they didn't have VTEC yet, had great double wishbone suspension and were pretty lightweight and fun to drive hard.

Next point to consider has been mentioned already, what has the biggest stock sized tires?

Since they're allowing 4 and 6 cylinder cars, I'd be interested in a Mazda MX3 V6. Small, lightweight, stock V6 powered. Might be a winner.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
4/17/17 6:12 p.m.

What would everyone recommend for same basic idea, but doesn't have to be fwd and on dirt?

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
4/17/17 8:31 p.m.

In reply to Petrolburner:

Prohibiting variable valve timing helps limit the field to older and cheaper cars, especially since this track's beater class doesn't seem to have a claimer rule. More historically it probably kept things from turning into circle track spec Integra GSR.

hobiercr
hobiercr Dork
4/18/17 8:55 a.m.

Just married and you're buying a circle track car? That is a ballsy move. I approve!

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
4/18/17 8:59 a.m.

In reply to hobiercr:

Yep. All Circle Track guys I know are either single or divorced.

hobiercr
hobiercr Dork
4/18/17 9:04 a.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem:

The cheaper the class the better the girlfriend fights in the stands!

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
4/18/17 9:07 a.m.
Petrolburner wrote: Why do they care so much about variable valve timing anyway?

They don't. There's no rule against VVT.

Those are very poorly written, thought out, and unfortunately, very typical circle track rules.

Lof8
Lof8 HalfDork
4/18/17 9:07 a.m.

Hahaha!! You guys are great! My wife kicks ass. She's actually encouraging of the idea and excited to be "on the pit crew". Although, we just found a cool house with a huge garage and 2 acres come on the market. Circle track plans may be on hold.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
4/18/17 9:13 a.m.
Lof8 wrote: Hahaha!! You guys are great! My wife kicks ass. She's actually encouraging of the idea and excited to be "on the pit crew". Although, we just found a cool house with a huge garage and 2 acres come on the market. Circle track plans may be on hold.

You'll have to buy Ms Lof8 a Dale Earnhardt halter top

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
4/18/17 9:56 a.m.

In reply to Lof8:

"Stock" is stock. Can you tell the difference in a spring visually ?

B spec is an SCCA class for sub compact cars. Fiesta, Fiat 500 etc. The cars have factory kits to enhance handling.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
4/18/17 10:07 a.m.
Zomby Woof wrote:
Petrolburner wrote: Why do they care so much about variable valve timing anyway?
They don't. There's no rule against VVT. Those are very poorly written, thought out, and unfortunately, very typical circle track rules.

Circle track rules like that generally seem to be a response to one particular car becoming dominant at that particular track. I've seen all sorts of examples of banned cars, some of them even weirder, like a ban on non turbo DSMs. And apparently whoever had been winning with a DSM did not just switch to a Galant or Avenger.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
4/18/17 10:20 a.m.

Just re-read the posted rules. All parts SHOULD be stock as supplied by the manufacturer. "should" opens up a whole can of worms. A 7" rim that is 5"bead to bead is usable. What! One inch of camber. Haven't heard that term in years.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Dork
4/18/17 12:00 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote:
They don't. There's no rule against VVT. Those are very poorly written, thought out, and unfortunately, very typical circle track rules.

E36 M3 you're right. VTEC is different cam profiles, not variable valve timing. V-TECH is still the old cordless phone we had when I was in elementary school.

Lof8
Lof8 HalfDork
4/18/17 12:15 p.m.
iceracer wrote: Just re-read the posted rules. All parts SHOULD be stock as supplied by the manufacturer. "should" opens up a whole can of worms. A 7" rim that is 5"bead to bead is usable. What! One inch of camber. Haven't heard that term in years.

lol. I thought "1 inch of camber" was a typo and they meant degree. I've never heard that term used. I assume an inch would mean 1 inch of difference between the bottom and top of the rim?

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin Dork
4/18/17 12:42 p.m.

Our track stresses that the stock (hornet) car class is for cars that race, as opposed to race cars. The intent is to allow beginners to get their feet wet, or for people with limited funds to get out on the track. As such, they get very irritated with racers who try to win with more expensive or superior equipment. And that is as it should be. Go get a cheap, competitive car and do the best you can. How much win is it when an experienced racer puts together a rulebook perfect car and blows away a bunch of 15 year olds in their moms old grocery getter? If you want to rulebook race, build a mini stock or street stock and race the serious guys.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
4/18/17 12:49 p.m.
Lof8 wrote:
iceracer wrote: Just re-read the posted rules. All parts SHOULD be stock as supplied by the manufacturer. "should" opens up a whole can of worms. A 7" rim that is 5"bead to bead is usable. What! One inch of camber. Haven't heard that term in years.
lol. I thought "1 inch of camber" was a typo and they meant degree. I've never heard that term used. I assume an inch would mean 1 inch of difference between the bottom and top of the rim?

Yes, so the shorter your wheel or tire, the more camber you are allowed to run

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
4/18/17 12:56 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote:

I like the rules where they specify steel heads and block only.

Well, that rules out... everything ever made.

yupididit
yupididit Dork
4/18/17 1:07 p.m.

I did circle track in Virginia which was asphalt. Used a 1g DSM. It was modded and extremly competitive given the other cars they had there. Wasnt heavily modded though.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Dork
4/18/17 2:47 p.m.

I think integra. There are plenty of beater 94-2000 out there. Strip out all of the extra crap and get it down to 2100 lbs. Have that nice factory style suspension under it and a reasonably torquey B18A. That should run just fine for something like that.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
4/18/17 2:51 p.m.

In reply to Zomby Woof:

Lol - A Stanza! That was my first car - gold on beige with A/C! Didn't know that thing was actually good for anything ...

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
4/18/17 4:20 p.m.

In reply to bearmtnmartin:

You're right. The track is trying to build a farm system. Get the young guys hooked on cheap racing so they move up to the faster, more expensive cars.

The reason I recommended a V6 GM is that it will be plenty fast, handle well enough, but also be cheap as hell and they're usually so overbuilt and rugged, you won't be able to kill it.

Lof8
Lof8 HalfDork
4/28/17 9:00 p.m.

I think I've found my canvas. 97 cavalier z24, 5 speed, 107k miles. Advertised for $2999. Offered 1200 with no paperwork and they accepted. Going to check it out tomorrow morning. The rule set says you gotta stay all stock, so the z24 gives me a few Hp and stiffer suspension over the other cavaliers. I hope this is fun! Can't race for much cheaper!  photo 2C7773B9-FC4B-497A-A0B4-3C63CE137736_zpsohs5zu6c.png

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CLNQqqk8AQz3SRF2hO3KTKKrvBHNkcqCrSHWvlzcBgaN0iICgsYtTOSh2hx59ylV