1 2
Smarta$$ McPoopyPants
Smarta$$ McPoopyPants MegaDork
4/27/17 11:17 a.m.

Finally took delivery of my 2010 cts-v!

I've only driven it in the rain, sadly. It has what appear to be brand new sumitomos, but they're hard as rocks and suck ass in the rain.

I'm shopping for tires. I've been REALLY happy with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires on my V1. Any thoughts on those vs. the Super Sports? This will be my DD 80 miles a day, so decent wet traction is a must.

ALSO: I was shopping for a manual but the price on this one (auto) was too good to pass up. Problem is, it can't seem to figure out what gear it wants to be in. Total shiftasaurus. I've played around a little bit with sport mode, button-shifters, "double tap" mode, and am not sure what's going to suit me best. Manual shifting sucks, for sure. Any thoughts there? Move the stick to the right and leave it there? Do the "double tap?" Put it in "D" and go?

Also also: (random) I liked the seats in my V1 better than these non-recaros :/

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/27/17 11:21 a.m.

I drove an auto before I bought mine. I never did figure out what the hell the transmission was thinking. It was weird. The standard super sports they came with are good tires. I've only driven those and autocross level tires. Even with the stickiest street legal rubber you have more engine than tire, so you have to exercise restraint at legal speeds. I have the Recaros but it still takes forever to figure out which of the 11 billion combinations is comfortable. Thank God for memory seats.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/27/17 11:24 a.m.

For DD tires, I've been very pleased with the BFG Comp Sport 2 that I've been running on the M3. They are good in the dry, and exceptional in the rain----seriously, maybe the best rain tire I've ever used. They have enough dry stick that you can autocross them, as long as you aren't concerned with being ultra-competitive. They are also quiet, and refined in day to day driving. I"m a big fan.

Does your trans "learn" your driving style? Maybe it will get better once it figures you out?

Congrats--- we need pics!

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
4/27/17 11:37 a.m.

Interesting thing with that trans is I'm pretty sure it's the same 6L80 in my dad's truck. I really hope the TCU is programmed differently because this one loves to randomly drop 2 gears if you give it slightly more throttle than you need to, which is interesting enough with 315hp, probably not kosher with 500+.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
4/27/17 12:00 p.m.

Congrats on your 'V'. My 2010 (manual w/recaros) is rolling Cooper Zeon RS3-A's after my last set of mich PS A/S's barely made it to 27K. And when it rains here in the Houston area there are no surprises

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
4/27/17 12:02 p.m.

terrifying only in a sinister maniacal time warp kinda way......WAaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Smarta$$ McPoopyPants
4/27/17 12:34 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

Good to know. I was looking at those too while shopping on tirerack. Certainly would save me some cash. But I've been so pleased with the michelins, I'm scared to switch.

I just made a run to the gas station. Between the E36 M3 tires, slushbox, and wet roads, the car is MADDENING to drive right now. Anything other than a "lurch" of a throttle input lights up the rears and kicks the TC on.

Debating on putting new tires on, or just trading for a manual. I'll see how she does in the dry. She's definitely not Mrs. Right, but Mrs. "right now."

Aside from the added creature comforts, I'm currently missing my V1.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
4/27/17 12:36 p.m.

My next of tires will the new Conti's that Andy Hollis has been raving about.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
4/27/17 1:38 p.m.

Do not question our authority. Our engineers have determined the optimal gear for all situations. If you are unable to adapt to the obviously correct gear, you will be processed, and either sent to a re-education camp, or straight to the soylent green facility.

Smarta$$ McPoopyPants
4/27/17 1:42 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy:

Work will set us free!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
4/27/17 2:03 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: For DD tires, I've been very pleased with the BFG Comp Sport 2 that I've been running on the M3. They are good in the dry, and exceptional in the rain----seriously, maybe the best rain tire I've ever used. They have enough dry stick that you can autocross them, as long as you aren't concerned with being ultra-competitive. They are also quiet, and refined in day to day driving. I"m a big fan.

+1, very different car, but again the best wet tire I have ever run. I have even autocross them in the rain and they were amazing.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/27/17 2:51 p.m.

^^^ agreed I've been completely happy with the BFG Comp Sport 2. I actually have a second set waiting to go on the M3 once the current set wears out. I've autocrossed on them, ran a track day at Road America (that may have been a bit too demanding, as I had a small amount of "chunking") , and have driven thousands of street miles without complaint. As the chase car for the Mitty parade and touring laps, these tires have seen about 100 laps around Road Atlanta--- at moderate, but sometimes frisky speeds. I've been very happy with their performance.

As has been stated, if you drive in the South, where torrential downpours are a near-daily occurrence, a tire that can handle standing water / heavy rain is awfully handy. These are the best performing tires in the rain that I've used. Even worn, as mine are--- they are still very capable when things get wet. (like coming home from this year's Mitty!)

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
4/27/17 5:40 p.m.

I've felt more like i was going to die channeling 200hp in any number of my old beaters than flooring it in Mazdeuce's CTS-V. You need to drive something truly dangerous for perspective!!

Congrats on purchase. I'm sure you'll be able to sort out what it needs for you to love it.

Smarta$$ McPoopyPants
4/27/17 6:14 p.m.

Roads dried up. Even with the Sumi-homo tires and slushbox, it does not suck in the dry, especially while listening to Judas Priest on XM, passing a dozen cars in the right lane, and saying to myself: "Self, I had no berkeleying clue we were going this fast, and we've not even registered any boosts!"

Smarta$$ McPoopyPants
4/27/17 6:16 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

Death, taxes, and it always berkeleying rains at the Mitty.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
4/27/17 7:25 p.m.

In reply to Smarta$$ McPoopyPants:

If you're missing the v1, it's not the right car. Save the $$$ until the right one comes along, and maybe wear out the E36 M3bag tires a little in The meantime.

Smarta$$ McPoopyPants
4/27/17 7:32 p.m.
mndsm wrote: In reply to Smarta$$ McPoopyPants: If you're missing the v1, it's not the right car. Save the $$$ until the right one comes along, and maybe wear out the E36 M3bag tires a little in The meantime.

Agreed! The hunt for a manual Vagon that I can afford continues....

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
4/27/17 7:37 p.m.

I think the manual in those is one of the best available. Definitely much better than the older T56 transmissions. Although I could never get used to the electronic e brake in these cars.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
4/27/17 7:49 p.m.

I got to drive mine again tonight (wife has had it all week) and mother of God I've missed that power.

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
4/27/17 9:18 p.m.

Andy you're spot on with the electric e-brake, this thing would be other worldly with the 'HANDLE' Sitting in mine I wonder how difficult could it be to transplant the ZL-1 'HANDLE'

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
4/27/17 9:57 p.m.

Looks like trans tunes are available. That and new tires could make a world of difference.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
4/27/17 10:45 p.m.

I came to suggest the same as Cotton. Bet there are some ready-made tunes that will make the trans more decisive. You won't miss the couple of in-town mpg it would cost.

Smarta$$ McPoopyPants
4/28/17 8:52 a.m.

I'll look into the tune. I know a couple guys who know a couple guys. Thanks dudes!

Also: There are a lot of folks putting down 700+ HP to the wheels for not a ton of money, but I dunno what the hell you'd do with all that power unless you're running drag radials

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
4/28/17 9:23 a.m.

A lot of opposite lock looking out the PS window

759NRNG
759NRNG Reader
4/28/17 9:25 a.m.

While you're contemplating your next step, check out gforce-tx.com

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ixUuyALPCvTjqkh6zXTG6PN0v0GYjQUHr64EmXH8aZ8lrAlg2Gem94QSoPrj0eG0