dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
12/28/16 1:18 p.m.

I'm wrapping up the install of a Blackbird Fabworx single diagonal roll bar in my 1999 Miata. Currently, the car has no soft top installed. The PO used it as an auto-x car and kept a hard top on it when not competing. I'd like to install a new soft top, as I plan to DD the car when the weather is nice.

This bar will fit under a glass window top, per the manufacturer. But I am considering ordering a plastic window top instead, thinking it will be easier to operate and will lay better when open. In general, what are the experiences of those with a Miata and a roll bar when it comes to glass vs. plastic windows?

For reference, here is a picture. This is not my bar/car, but the exact style I'm installing.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
12/28/16 1:33 p.m.

IIRC the glass window top doesn't require you to unzip the window before putting the top down like the plastic window does. If you don't unzip the window you'll end up shortening its lifespan considerably. Given how much of a pain the in posterior it was to unzip the window on my NA with a Blackbird FabWorx rollbar, I'd go glass if you have the choice.

Kylini
Kylini HalfDork
12/28/16 1:45 p.m.

As an owner of a 1999 that used to have a roll bar designed for glass, a glass top works fine and is vastly preferred over plastic.

As an aside, it will take more effort to open and close any roof due to the placement of the bar. To minimize this effort, I strongly recommend canvas over vinyl material and, if and when I replace the roof in either of my Miatas, will switch myself. As an added perk, they're more accommodating to being stretched over a bar and/or padding and they're easier to repair than vinyl.

If you install padding (please do!!!), your main area of roof rubbing concerns will be the outer corners on top. Shaving your padding here won't affect its ability to protect your noggin. Obviously test-fit before cutting it up!

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
12/28/16 3:37 p.m.

It's been frustrating trying to decide. First question - glass or plastic? Second question - zip out or non-zip out?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
12/28/16 3:39 p.m.

I have plastic non zip on my 01. Id prefer glass due to clarity issues.

dyintorace
dyintorace PowerDork
12/30/16 9:34 a.m.

Thanks for the opinions. Man...Robbins cloth glass window tops are expensive!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xSsESFCCdi9PBiHiO5yZcx12kVVrQrQ45hPi3usew5fLAcBYYVcvga71qFViNbNl