1 2
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
11/2/13 8:42 p.m.

so I may have worked out a deal that nets me an effectively free 70914. currently a pretty large, flaming pile of crap. but, ive always wanted a 914. they do it for me.

yes, its rusty (can see the ground pretty good through the floor pan area), and no, it doesn't run (engine supposedly seized, 2.0 5 speed car according to owner).

my thoughts are challenge car. add lightness, hit hard with lowering stick, and get it running.

in the running area, im looking for options. my google-fu is faling me yet again. have found plenty on sbc swaps, and a couple of Subaru swaps mentioned.

my thoughts are leaning towards a FWD drivetrain of some fashion. current thoughts are northstar or 3400 GMv6. woulod be retaining automatic transaxle.

I cant find any info on this. anyone know id its do-able without cutting into the passengers compartment? any links or more reading I should do? any reason I should just part the damn thing out and make some money?

I do love the lines of these. they are my favorit Porsche, though I never believed I could afford one.

michael

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
11/2/13 8:56 p.m.

The best one I have seen (in pictures here actually) was a VW 1.8t and boxster trans. A tdi would be cool too.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UltraDork
11/2/13 9:01 p.m.

Subaru? EJ33 or Turbo 2.2?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
11/2/13 9:59 p.m.

the subarus are hard to find cheap in my area, and again, needs to be automatic. so im already in it for the transaxle as well. the subarus appear to mate very well to the factory 914 transaxle, though.

and the vw 1.8t sounds intriguing. got a link? might be able to get one cheap.

so were clear: were looking at an entire engine/transaxle swap. I have a sawzall, welder, and little regard for purity. it IS a rusty flaming pile of crap after all. I think the wartburg was probably nicer....

and in my area, northstars/gm 60*v6 fwd drivetrains/cars are dirt cheap. im pretty sure after getting the motor, trans, and Porsche, id still be under 400 bucks. which leaves me a ton of room to make it work. ifit can work.

Michael

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 SuperDork
11/2/13 10:21 p.m.

Dare I saw V8? SBC/LSx.
Sample

Remember when I was a teen in SoCal, a car featured in a mag back then called the Scarab Beater terrorizing the LA Freeways. Was a 914 w/327 SBC installed. Not a new proposition but when nicely done they're impressive.

driver109x
driver109x HalfDork
11/2/13 10:25 p.m.

How about a Volvo 5cyl turbo from a fwd 850/V70 t5...

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
11/2/13 10:38 p.m.

Anything is swappable with the right welder, both the person and the machine. I vote 7.3 Powerstroke, because it'd be hilarious to see a 914 rolling coal.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
11/2/13 10:50 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: </ and the vw 1.8t sounds intriguing. got a link? might be able to get one cheap.

It was in the readers rides on here, and the car was yellow. It was installed so it would be oriented like in a Passat (longitudinal vs transverse), and it seemed to turn out well. Either that or a Subaru are probably the best options.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
11/3/13 1:05 a.m.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3933428-1.8t-Porsche-914-swap

Thats the type of thing I was talking about with the 1.8t swap. I would think the engine and transaxle out of a passat would work, and that should be easily available. Even finding an automatic one shouldnt be hard, although I dont know if I can recomend anyone buy a vw automatic lol.

turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
11/3/13 1:23 a.m.

I vote Audi V8 or twin turbo V6 mated to an Audi transaxle.

This transaxle is essentially the same as the Boxster unit and widely used in GT-40 and Lamborghini replicas.

Search Google for the Lotus Esprit with the Audi V8 and begin drooling :)

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
11/3/13 1:27 a.m.
turboswede wrote: I vote Audi V8 or twin turbo V6 mated to an Audi transaxle. This transaxle is essentially the same as the Boxster unit and widely used in GT-40 and Lamborghini replicas. Search Google for the Lotus Esprit with the Audi V8 and begin drooling :)

Also, this swap has been done in AW 11's as well.

www.woodsport.org/

Lancer007
Lancer007 New Reader
11/3/13 1:30 a.m.

If we are spitballing here, the 4g63 out of a DSM or and EVO 8 would be bulletproof and go like stink. Either that or the Subaru swap is where I would go.

In any event I support your endeavour. Seeing a 914 on the road always males me smile.

octavious
octavious Reader
11/3/13 6:33 a.m.

If talking Subaru and automatic, why not an H6 with their trans? Put Porsche stickers wherever it says Subaru and call it a 914-6. Didn't the H6 have something lime 225 HP? That would make the 914 scoot.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
11/3/13 6:53 a.m.

There was one at the $2004 (?) Challenge with a 2.3 Ford engine.

mblommel
mblommel Reader
11/3/13 7:42 a.m.

What about the flat 6/trans from a Subaru SVX? Those were all automatic. A little hard to find, but can be had for cheap.

If It were my project I'd I go 4.8L or 5.3L LS engine.

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
11/3/13 8:08 a.m.

There's a surprising amount of room in the engine compartment. As far as a swap idea, I like the Subie H6 as well. Question: is there an overwhelming reason for sticking with a slushbox? I like to row my own is why I ask.

Also if it's a 1970 it should have a 1.7. If it has a 2.0 it was swapped from a later car and the heads, if not cracked, are pretty valuable. If the transaxle is a 'rear shift' it's the early type which no one really wants, if it's a 'side shift' again they are pretty valuable.

Rear shift is on the right in this pic:

Side shift box:

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
11/3/13 8:12 a.m.

A phone call to Kennedy and anything will bolt up to your Porsche transaxle.

Given the trans layout, if cost is an issue and it has to be an automatic, my recommendation is a Dodge intrepid drive train. You should be able to get a whole car for $500.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
11/3/13 8:45 a.m.

Honestly, it has to be an automatic due to my knee. There are very few stick cars that I can drive due to it, and then I have to pick my day and fill up on ib profin. So auto means I can drive it any day. The lack of being able to row my oun is also why I'm investigating paddle shifters for this. They loook to be the best compromise in my situationh. I don't know if megasquirt has the ability to do trans control yet.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
11/3/13 9:06 a.m.

If you go with the LH option most of them had autostick iirc. Might make paddles easier, or just use the stock shifter setup.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
11/3/13 9:35 a.m.

i had a rainfart after my last post: fwd would not be an easy whole drivetrain swap, as if I go longitudinally, the axles are in the wrong place. transverse mounted, the strut towers would get in the way.

how stiff is the clutch action on these things?

and I like the LH platform idea, honestly. the prowler I drove had the 3.5, and moved pretty good. with added lightness, it could be a riot.

and the autostic in those didn't suck horribly. still took too long to shift between gears when you pulled it.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
11/3/13 9:46 a.m.

Bike engine? Can't you shift those without a clutch once you're moving?

(Obviously I don't ride.)

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs HalfDork
11/3/13 11:21 a.m.

Jdm 2.0 twin turbo subie? Can be had for around 500 bucks

bgkast
bgkast HalfDork
11/3/13 2:54 p.m.

MegaShift: http://www.msgpio.com/manuals/mshift/4L60e.html

MichaelYount
MichaelYount Reader
11/3/13 7:22 p.m.

Sterling Skinner at GaTech put a Toyota ohc V8 in his -- some detail on it here in post #3.....

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5931

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
11/3/13 8:04 p.m.

Rotary Maybe a turbo too

Check this thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=31763

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zT3AZmTEC5397aVf7iGBv4EaqREkEigenKoZC4VyWszsJs4vBqGyN6bV1jbKMuoo