Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) MegaDork
8/28/16 8:22 p.m.

Trendy ice cream shops.

I just wanted some mint chocolate chip on a waffle cone.

No I don't want dark chocolate with sea salt caramel, peanuts, yada yada.

No, I don't care where the ingredients came from.

I just ate a big burger and walked down to your shop and now I've braved the throngs of people, all of whom are piled in front of the cases so I can't actually see what you have to offer and I just want something light and minty on this hot day.

I should have just ordered a shake at the burger shop and avoided the walk, but I guess I was able to deposit some checks at the bank. Still though, how hard is it to manage customers in an ice cream shop so that you can find a flavor you actually want?

Basically people are still annoying and now my stomach hurts.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
8/28/16 8:36 p.m.
Jumper K. Balls wrote: I am wondering how long it is going to take to break me of my 20+ year old habit of using the backspace key to go back a page in the browser. Google has killed that function. The new one is alt-left arrow. Great those keys are in different locations on pretty much every keyboard ever made. They want me to actually look down?

As someone who's been using alt-left since day one (the use of this key combo is as old as backspace AFAIK) and has had much time and work wiped out by pressing backspace with the wrong object in focus (or even while focus is being stolen!) I welcome this move.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
8/28/16 9:17 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: I was kicking ass right up until the migraine started.

Seriously. A random person on some other site told me about Red Bull killing migraines. The only thing that would do it for me is sleep, I said, caffeine doesn't help, analgesics don't help, and Excedrin Migraine which is analgesic + caffeine doesn't help. No, seriously, try it, says this other person.

Damned if it doesn't do the trick. I start to get the warning signs, chug an 8.4oz can, and within 10 minutes it's gone. Still feel kinda like crap but kinda like crap is better than completely useless and want to find a drill to let the demons out.

I keep a case at work and a can or two in the car and at home at all times now.

They DO recur less often with age. At my worst I was getting them 3-4 times a month. Now it is maaaaaybe two a year.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
8/29/16 7:02 a.m.

In reply to Knurled:

I'll try it. I'm down to 1-2 a week, which is great, but still sucks. The doctor gave me some meds, but don't make any plans for the rest of the day if you take them.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
8/29/16 7:41 a.m.

Jesus guys. I was going to say 3-4 a month and I would be useless. 1-2 a week and I would move into an assisted care facility! I hope the red bull helps. Migraines suck.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/29/16 10:06 a.m.

Our club hosts 6 autocrosses each season, one Saturday per month in April through September (I'm chair). The dates are set and published in January. For EVERY autocross this year, I've had a major work deadline in the same week as the event, usually that Friday.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
8/29/16 10:35 a.m.

There are two types of people who use Instant Messaging in an office environment.

There are the people who send you a message that says, "Good morning, ." and then do nothing else, waiting for you to respond to them.

There are the people who send a message that says, "Good morning, <name, do you have a moment to talk about ?"

The first type of people aggravate me, because it is like a land mine sitting there. They tend to take a response as approval to keep talking, no matter how busy you are. The second people seem to understand if you say you're busy but can talk later.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun SuperDork
8/29/16 10:52 a.m.

We know that there will be at least some layoffs at our company tomorrow, but have no details regarding at what level or how many. Further I know (being inside the orbit of management here) that over the next half year that roughly 400 people will likely get let go- but again don't know if it will touch my discipline or site... it could either shut the site down or mean we have to hire tons more people to cover for those lost at other sites. So today and tomorrow are going to be rather tense.

I'd feel a lot less tense if I hadn't gotten a 'thanks but no thanks' from the two jobs elsewhere that I applied to a few weeks ago...

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/29/16 10:53 a.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy:

There are three.

I am the type who just says "Howdy Brett, can you tell me the tolerance of dimension blahbitty blah on drawing 1521433?"

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/29/16 11:17 a.m.

I miss instant messaging in the corporate environment. Very helpful.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
8/29/16 11:37 a.m.
Ashyukun wrote: I'd feel a lot less tense if I hadn't gotten a 'thanks but no thanks' from the two jobs elsewhere that I applied to a few weeks ago...

Twice, back in the dark ages (pre-internet), I sent out over 100 resumes before I got a job offer. I didn't get the courtesy of a rejection letter for many of those.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun SuperDork
8/29/16 11:47 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote:
Ashyukun wrote: I'd feel a lot less tense if I hadn't gotten a 'thanks but no thanks' from the two jobs elsewhere that I applied to a few weeks ago...
Twice, back in the dark ages (pre-internet), I sent out over 100 resumes before I got a job offer. I didn't get the courtesy of a rejection letter for many of those.

That is I suppose one of the nice features of the online applications that many places use now- they at least automatically send you a 'Thanks, but we'll continue to pursue other applicants,' email once the application has been passed over.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/29/16 11:52 a.m.

I'd really like a new job. I don't know why I don't like my job, I just am not enjoying the work. I find myself easily distracted from it, wishing I was winning the lottery.

I really, really wish I knew what I wanted to do though. That is the tough part. I'm not particularly specialized in anything. What should I do?

Le sigh.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
8/29/16 12:00 p.m.
mtn wrote: Moving. This would be a lot easier if my wife would stop asking me what I'm doing and just worried about packing herself. Or just let me pack up everything. We put E36 M3 in boxes. We package it so the E36 M3 doesn't break. We then divide said E36 M3 (now in boxes) into two groups: 1) those things that we will need for the next week or that we don't trust movers to move, and 2) everything else. Why is this so ducking hard? Just throw the stiff in the boxes! And, I wanted to pack the kitchen 2 weeks ago. She didn't because we need to cook. We've used 3 pans in that time. Everything else could have been packed up. Jeevers is this annoying.

I think youse guys could use some counseling.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/29/16 12:03 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote:
mtn wrote: Moving. This would be a lot easier if my wife would stop asking me what I'm doing and just worried about packing herself. Or just let me pack up everything. We put E36 M3 in boxes. We package it so the E36 M3 doesn't break. We then divide said E36 M3 (now in boxes) into two groups: 1) those things that we will need for the next week or that we don't trust movers to move, and 2) everything else. Why is this so ducking hard? Just throw the stiff in the boxes! And, I wanted to pack the kitchen 2 weeks ago. She didn't because we need to cook. We've used 3 pans in that time. Everything else could have been packed up. Jeevers is this annoying.

She's in it. She doesn't deal well with stress. PTSD is a bitch. I come here to vent.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) MegaDork
8/29/16 12:12 p.m.
mtn wrote:
spitfirebill wrote:
She's in it. She doesn't deal well with stress. PTSD is a bitch. I come here to vent.

You missed the point: You BOTH could use counseling, join her sessions or get some of your own so that YOU learn ways to help her reduce stress and reduce your own stress among other issues.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
8/29/16 12:12 p.m.
mtn wrote: I'd really like a new job. I don't know why I don't like my job, I just am not enjoying the work. I find myself easily distracted from it, wishing I was winning the lottery. I really, really wish I knew what I wanted to do though. That is the tough part. I'm not particularly specialized in anything. What should I do? Le sigh.

Maybe specialize in something? Either get your employer to invest in more training, or take it upon yourself and go job hunting when you're done.

What skills would you be looking to improve?

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/29/16 12:58 p.m.
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote:
mtn wrote:
spitfirebill wrote:
You missed the point: You BOTH could use counseling, join her sessions or get some of your own so that YOU learn ways to help her reduce stress and reduce your own stress among other issues.

99% of the time, I've got it. During a move? Nope--no controlling that ball of stress. (And we've been to counselling before, looking for help with that specific issue of her stress reduction. The only thing we've learned from it we really already knew, which was she needs a dog. We do need to find a counsellor that can actually help us though.)

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/29/16 1:04 p.m.
unevolved wrote:
mtn wrote: I'd really like a new job. I don't know why I don't like my job, I just am not enjoying the work. I find myself easily distracted from it, wishing I was winning the lottery. I really, really wish I knew what I wanted to do though. That is the tough part. I'm not particularly specialized in anything. What should I do? Le sigh.
Maybe specialize in something? Either get your employer to invest in more training, or take it upon yourself and go job hunting when you're done. What skills would you be looking to improve?

But what the hell would I specialize in? I've got the opportunity here at work to specialize in something, but I'm hesitant because I am NOT the best person for the job, and it isn't something I particularly enjoy--I just dislike it less than anyone else on the team.

But skills that I'd be looking to improve are primarily time management skills (step 1: Get off GRM), then adding in some technical skills--either a programming language, or some sort of validation abilities. I get bored easily though.

I'd also really like to own my own business and be my own boss. But again, what the hell would I do? I'm not particularly good at anything that is a standalone business. The one thing I think I'd really, really like to do is be a day trader. But that is a good way to not make money.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
8/29/16 1:30 p.m.
mtn wrote:
unevolved wrote:
Maybe specialize in something? Either get your employer to invest in more training, or take it upon yourself and go job hunting when you're done. What skills would you be looking to improve?
But what the hell would I specialize in? I've got the opportunity here at work to specialize in something, but I'm hesitant because I am NOT the best person for the job, and it isn't something I particularly enjoy--I just dislike it less than anyone else on the team. But skills that I'd be looking to improve are primarily time management skills (step 1: Get off GRM), then adding in some technical skills--either a programming language, or some sort of validation abilities. I get bored easily though. I'd also really like to own my own business and be my own boss. But again, what the hell would I do? I'm not particularly good at anything that is a standalone business. The one thing I think I'd really, really like to do is be a day trader. But that is a good way to not make money.

Maybe by doing some learning you'll figure that out. What sort of programming would you want to do? Python is pretty easy to learn and incredibly versatile.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/29/16 1:34 p.m.
unevolved wrote:
mtn wrote:
unevolved wrote:
But what the hell would I specialize in? I've got the opportunity here at work to specialize in something, but I'm hesitant because I am NOT the best person for the job, and it isn't something I particularly enjoy--I just dislike it less than anyone else on the team. But skills that I'd be looking to improve are primarily time management skills (step 1: Get off GRM), then adding in some technical skills--either a programming language, or some sort of validation abilities. I get bored easily though. I'd also really like to own my own business and be my own boss. But again, what the hell would I do? I'm not particularly good at anything that is a standalone business. The one thing I think I'd really, really like to do is be a day trader. But that is a good way to not make money.
Maybe by doing some learning you'll figure that out. What sort of programming would you want to do? Python is pretty easy to learn and incredibly versatile.

Anthing but Java. Sounds like Python is the way to go. I'd just like to open more doors.

I've been considering going for an MBA and taking a year off to do it. I can't afford that though.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
8/29/16 1:52 p.m.

I feel like this every morning. If you think you can or want to learn to do something else look into it now before you are locked into a situation you can't change. Pretty much all I can do now is count the time until I can leave. 14 more years.

When I was young I put off doing a lot of things until I was older and would have more free time and money. I'm 41 and have neither. I work as much as I can and still barely pay my bills. The rest of my time I spend taking care of the wife and house. I haven't had a day to do anything I enjoy in over a year and won't in the foreseeable future. I try and do things before or after work or around other commitments but even then it's rushed and I don't really enjoy it.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
8/29/16 2:04 p.m.
Wall-e wrote:
I feel like this every morning. If you think you can or want to learn to do something else look into it now before you are locked into a situation you can't change. Pretty much all I can do now is count the time until I can leave. 14 more years.

That is what I'm afraid of--I don't want to do this forever. I just don't know what I do want to do. I think I'm going to start applying to jobs and seeing what comes up. Who knows, maybe I'll find what is right for me.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor HalfDork
8/29/16 2:12 p.m.

In reply to mtn:

Good luck. I feel like that pretty much every day too.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
8/29/16 2:29 p.m.
mtn wrote:
Wall-e wrote:
That is what I'm afraid of--I don't want to do this forever. I just don't know what I do want to do. I think I'm going to start applying to jobs and seeing what comes up. Who knows, maybe I'll find what is right for me.

Sounds like you might benefit from being in a larger company. That way you'd have the ability to try different jobs within the same company (engineering, project management, QC) without all the usual hassle of changing jobs, and larger companies tend to have better continuing education programs too.

Of course, they come with their own set of problems, but there's definite advantages.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L4J0qfsUuJmsRmnym9Fv5NUJ9IDQX4fx927kAnJwBwRsKtA6V9AHHUaU7Dh1gG9a