dropstep
dropstep SuperDork
12/6/17 5:21 p.m.

I got so caried away at the tire shop my friend works at that i got home too late to adjust my brakes and put the new to me wheels and tires on

NickD
NickD UltraDork
12/7/17 7:16 a.m.

Last week at my work they fired the HR person (who also did payroll) after finding that she had been misappropriating money. For example, yesterday the owners gave one of the employees a check because HR had been deducting extra for something and pocketing it. So today our service manager announces that they have hired a new HR person. And it's his wife. How the berkeley does that work? That's a major conflict of interest. If I have a complaint about my boss, I have to go talk to his wife? Really? There wasn't anyone qualified for the job who wasn't related to another employee?

Ashyukun
Ashyukun UltraDork
12/7/17 7:28 a.m.

How is it that not a SINGLE hardware store in town has normal, non-rubberized #15 key blanks (read: what most older Chrysler/Dodge vehicles like the Rampage use)??? I only have one key for the Rampage and want a spare- but now it looks like I'm going to have to find a way to make it to a locksmith shop when they're open to have a simple copy of the ignition key made because the rubberized versions won't fit in the ignition (the rubber part is too wide). Only good thing is that I can probably get a copy of the gas door key at the same time, since none of the hardware stores seem to be able to copy THAT either...

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
12/7/17 7:40 a.m.

My wife being a stay at home mom and unemployed is NOT working.  And i have no idea how to have the conversation without it turning into a hell of a fight.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
12/7/17 7:57 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

My wife being a stay at home mom and unemployed is NOT working.  And i have no idea how to have the conversation without it turning into a hell of a fight.

Well, yes,  usually the definition of unemployed is "not working". I kid, I kid. Sorry, brother, no idea how to broach that subject.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
12/7/17 8:09 a.m.
Ashyukun said:

How is it that not a SINGLE hardware store in town has normal, non-rubberized #15 key blanks (read: what most older Chrysler/Dodge vehicles like the Rampage use)??? I only have one key for the Rampage and want a spare- but now it looks like I'm going to have to find a way to make it to a locksmith shop when they're open to have a simple copy of the ignition key made because the rubberized versions won't fit in the ignition (the rubber part is too wide). Only good thing is that I can probably get a copy of the gas door key at the same time, since none of the hardware stores seem to be able to copy THAT either...

Can you just grind away the rubber form one of the keys in order to have a working spare?  It may not look good, but as long as it works, it'd be alright as a spare.  I still need to find someone with a blank for the Miata, everywhere I've gone so far doesn't have it.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
12/7/17 8:28 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
Ashyukun said:

Can you just grind away the rubber form one of the keys in order to have a working spare?  It may not look good, but as long as it works, it'd be alright as a spare.  I still need to find someone with a blank for the Miata, everywhere I've gone so far doesn't have it.

Ace Hardware stocked the blanks for me, problem was that mine were so worn that when they traced them, they didn't work. I called Mazda, and not only was Mazda still able to get new key blanks, they still had the VIN codes for keys 25 years later and were able to cut me a new key to VIN

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 Dork
12/7/17 8:42 a.m.
eastsideTim said:
Ashyukun said:

That's what I was going to say, just cut away the rubber and it'll work as a spare. 

OR! Depending on how nice the guys at your hardware store are, order a key blank off eBay or something and then have them cut it. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/7/17 8:52 a.m.

My feet are perpetually cold like ice and in super pain. The outside temperature doesn't matter.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/7/17 8:52 a.m.

Layoffs again at work, 12,000 this time.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun UltraDork
12/7/17 8:59 a.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

That's why I didn't return the rubber key- worst case I can do that or just completely remove the rubber. It looks like KYAllroad may be able to hook me up though, so it should work out.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
12/7/17 9:33 a.m.
NickD said:

Last week at my work they fired the HR person (who also did payroll) after finding that she had been misappropriating money. For example, yesterday the owners gave one of the employees a check because HR had been deducting extra for something and pocketing it. So today our service manager announces that they have hired a new HR person. And it's his wife. How the berkeley does that work? That's a major conflict of interest. If I have a complaint about my boss, I have to go talk to his wife? Really? There wasn't anyone qualified for the job who wasn't related to another employee?

So, this one gets even more interesting. There's a big storm on the horizon here. Did a little investigating and digging and learned that a lot of people are pissed in other departments as well. Recently, the used car sales manager wanted to get his son moved from the detail department to training as a salesman. Got denied because "you're son can't work under you." We needed an appointment coordinator and a tech had his wife apply because she's been a receptionist at a doctor's office for years. Got denied because she is married to him. The dispatcher and a tech were having a secret/not-so-secret relationship outside of work and the service manager quite bluntly told the tech to "stop berkeleying my employee". But now they go and hire the service manager's wife for a very crucial position? Not to mention that the one service write already got her husband hired as the body shop manager and then proceeded to get her son hired working under his father in the body shop. Boy, Conflicts Of Interest R Us. Also opens the dealership up to a nasty situation if they fire anyone in the service department. "Well, the manager didn't like me and his wife is the head of HR, so it was a conspiracy against me"

Duke
Duke MegaDork
12/7/17 10:19 a.m.
tuna55 said:

My feet are perpetually cold like ice and in super pain. The outside temperature doesn't matter.

That sounds like a potentially serious circulation issue.  Are you able to / have you seen somebody about it?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/7/17 10:26 a.m.
Duke said:
tuna55 said:

That sounds like a potentially serious circulation issue.  Are you able to / have you seen somebody about it?

Yes. Many doctors. They checked circulation among other things. Oddly enough, if you were to touch my feet now (don't get any ideas!) they would feel normal to you. To me, they feel like blocks of ice, esp the parts that touch the floor. Wool socks help, but only a little.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/7/17 10:30 a.m.

Tunawife got a prescription for a cancer-preventing drug a few months back, and we fought like mad to get the insurance company to actually cover it. They finally did, and things have been relatively normal for a while. She got a note from them saying they could save her money by providing a 90 day supply through their mail order pharmacy, so she placed an order. In just a few short weeks, nothing at all happened. The order disappeared and we got no notifications. I called and wrote. They claimed that they called and faxed the doctor numerous times and also called me several times (they didn't).

Here is the rub. They called the wrong doctor, meaning the doctor which placed the initial prescription is not the one they called to ask about the 90 day version of the same prescription. They called another one altogether. When asked why, they said "well it was the first one on the list", what!? Are they in alphabetical order or something? Why not just call the doctor that actually wrote the prescription? "well, it's a big company and it's hard to get everything right."

!!!!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/7/17 10:40 a.m.

Have you been checked for type 1 diabetes?  Because when I lost the bet with God and got it, my circulation in my extremities, hands, and feet, went down the toilet. My feet feel ice cold from October to April. I'd ask my endocrinologist, but I haven't seen him in over a year and a half, for I have no insurance or a way to pay for it. 

My rant: no insurance or a way to pay for it.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/7/17 10:42 a.m.
tuna55 said:

My I ask what firm you're associated with......we're in similar lines of 'work'.....hope you dodge the bullett wink

NickD
NickD UltraDork
12/7/17 10:47 a.m.
759NRNG said:
tuna55 said:

My I ask what firm you're associated with......we're in similar lines of 'work'.....hope you dodge the bullett wink

I'm going to guess General Electric, having seen the news today

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/7/17 10:47 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Details first ......has she ever been part of the gainfully employed?  Does the 'NOT' working part cause the budget conversation to go nuclear ? 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/7/17 10:49 a.m.
759NRNG said:
tuna55 said:

It would be unwise of me to say, but trivial for you to guess correctly. Hopefully, I remain in this line of work for a long time yet.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/7/17 10:50 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Have you been checked for type 1 diabetes?  Because when I lost the bet with God and got it, my circulation in my extremities, hands, and feet, went down the toilet. My feet feel ice cold from October to April. I'd ask my endocrinologist, but I haven't seen him in over a year and a half, for I have no insurance or a way to pay for it. 

My rant: no insurance or a way to pay for it.

No, interesting. I will talk about that.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/7/17 11:02 a.m.
tuna55 said:
759NRNG said:
tuna55 said:

It would be unwise of me to say, but trivial for you to guess correctly. Hopefully, I remain in this line of work for a long time yet.

I also was hoping that the party wouldn't end and the road goes on forever......but, being unemployed these past two years is way below average. To which I attribute  a wait and see mentality regrading the current administrations direction on immigration and energy policy (nuclear?). 

Ashyukun
Ashyukun UltraDork
12/7/17 12:06 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

The same happens with Type 2 (though that may be what Appleseed meant), my Dad has the same issues...

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
12/7/17 12:13 p.m.

Living in a place that has a pretty heavy economic reliance on mining, I really feel like we are the poor cousin whenever the economic news comes on.  Price of oil tanks?  Good for you, bad for us.  Environmentalists hate nukes?  Good for you, bad for us.  El Nino year?  Bad for you, good for us. California desertification? We get more rain. 

Everything that's good for the rest of the planet sucks for us, and vice versa. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/7/17 12:18 p.m.
759NRNG said:
tuna55 said:
759NRNG said:
tuna55 said:

I also was hoping that the party wouldn't end and the road goes on forever......but, being unemployed these past two years is way below average. To which I attribute  a wait and see mentality regrading the current administrations direction on immigration and energy policy (nuclear?). 

The natural gas power generation market should be going through the roof. Cheap and easy fuel, super low emissions, but the world government wants renewables no matter what makes actual logical sense.

The current administration is clearly more friendly towards natural gas, but even at eight years, it isn't long enough to make a difference on our time scales.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vIrcOf4WPOHha9dBehycOlVJgXVre0ZIomatfSGseLrwuvoXZgXT7El9NIBHaJ3T