EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
4/2/17 2:34 a.m.

Couple years ago, I tried a C70 Passport. Wasn't enough bike to keep up on 45mph surface streets. I wound up giving it up when I moved, because it was essentially useless for my needs.

Twice the motor might help. Then again, Elite has a CVT vs gears, so I'm not really sure you wind up with twice the power at the tire.

Anyone with knowledge of these scoots, please chime in.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy PowerDork
4/2/17 6:43 a.m.

I can't speak for that Honda in particular, but can tell you that A Chinese Gy6 150 scoot will have no trouble pulling my fat but up a hill a 50mph if I come at with a running start. I also don't get the sense that the CVT is robing a lot of power, but it does tend to react slowly to changes in load.

What size tires does this Honda have? If it has 10" I don't think I'd want to go that fast on the street. Hopefully it has 12" or better yet 13".

smokindav
smokindav Reader
4/2/17 8:07 a.m.

Check out the Grom. Are you looking for a scooter or will a small motorcycle work?

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
4/2/17 1:24 p.m.

Although I've driven manual transmission cars all my life, I never fully got the hang of shifting the C70 - and that bike has an auto-clutch!

Hence the big scooter vs. a small bike.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
4/2/17 2:32 p.m.

I'm taking for granted you mean the 84-87 Elite. An Elite 150 should top out around 60-65mph and have no problem running 45-55 all day long. The CVTs are slightly doggy off the line generally, compared to bikes, but still will beat most cagers from the light. Even so, they can be altered easily by changing the the variator weights and the clutch springs-but I wouldn't. The only knock on the Elites are body parts are getting harder to find, and there isn't any under the seat storage. Being liquid cooled, they will run for ever and return 70mpgs easily. They run 10" tires front and rear, so you need to dodge potholes and be careful in strong crosswinds. The brake pedal takes about two minutes to get used to, then it's like second nature.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
4/2/17 3:07 p.m.

I've wanted one of those things since they were new. I still have a dealership brochure for them somewhere.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
4/2/17 3:28 p.m.

This is the one I have my eye on, but they pop up on CL fairly often.

Elite 150D

It was listed at $1k in February, went down to $700 in March. Waiting to see what April brings :)

Woody
Woody MegaDork
4/2/17 6:11 p.m.

In reply to EvanR:

Aside from the awful seat, that's a bargain.

minimac
minimac SuperDork
4/3/17 9:37 a.m.

Woody is correct- that's a good deal. Seat covers are cheap and there's a good market for the spares. If that was on the east side of the country, I'd be on that like flies on stink.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/3/17 4:25 p.m.

A friend of mine had one in college. We had the bright idea to ride it two-up from Macomb IL to Chicago for a Lou Reed concert........in the middle of Winter!

I'm glad someone talked us out of that horrible, horrible idea, as we would have died. Decent scooter though---never gave him any trouble.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tYN3L1AD42DPgmSCeK6O0A4RXydRwpg7Av057D9cxEzTAPjrnZ5fY7Qu9RHILlEc