Rusnak_322 Dork
Aug. 10, 2017 2:41 p.m.

I picked this up for $400 with a title. 1980 Yamaha XS400

She wants it to look like this (but with tangerine wheels):

Here we are this past Saturday:

Where we are at now:

I know that the tires wont be to everyone's taste, but man do they look burley. This isn't a bike to be ridden in anger (or bad weather) or ever go off pavement.

Still need to work on the wiring for the lights and turn signals and need the brake lines to show up.

Aug. 10, 2017 3:30 p.m.

Masterfully done!

dculberson PowerDork
Aug. 10, 2017 3:42 p.m.

Gorgeous! Man, I was thinking she got hosed when you have the Ducatis sitting there, but she's got an attention grabber that's for sure.

Rusnak_322 Dork
Aug. 10, 2017 4:04 p.m.

Thanks!

The 1098 is hers. She got jealous when I built this last summer and wanted something less hardcore than a superbike to play with.

Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
Aug. 10, 2017 4:17 p.m.

Nicely done! Great looking bikes that still look rideable. (unlike most cafe racers)

Great job!

Bobzilla MegaDork
Aug. 10, 2017 4:19 p.m.

WHAT Is that headlight from?

Rusnak_322 Dork
Aug. 10, 2017 4:34 p.m.

That is a V-rod headlight.

Bobzilla MegaDork
Aug. 10, 2017 4:36 p.m.

looks better there than where it came from for sure. It just looks right

Aug. 10, 2017 5:55 p.m.

Looks great!

NEALSMO UberDork
Aug. 10, 2017 6:02 p.m.

That turned out great. You guys have some great toys to play with

Appleseed MegaDork
Aug. 11, 2017 9:43 a.m.

A week? I spent 3 months screwing with my handle bars and shortening my control cables. I feel like a chump.

fanfoy Dork
Aug. 11, 2017 11:09 a.m.

That's very nice! Mind sharing some details? (wheels, forks, etc?)

Rusnak_322 Dork
Aug. 11, 2017 11:50 a.m.

I bought a $80 parts bike for the mag wheels and disk front, but then found out that the 16" dia rear didn't allow any decent tires in the style that we wanted. So I bought a 18" dia rear rim, swingarm, and rear brake from another model XS400. I had to fab up a bracket for a master cylinder.

We bought the seat, but I had to make my own rear hoop as it wasn't a standard size for tubing benders.

I recessed the tail light with turn signals into the hoop.

I painted the motor a combo of wrinkle and gloss. Then added some polished bolts.

I did the paint myself, the only thing I farmed out was mounting the tires onto the freshly painted rims (couldn't powder coat - the cush rubbers are molded into the wheel) I built a battery tray under the seat to fit a small Shorai battery. I used a Trail tech Vapor speedo.

Still need to buy shocks. I rode it for the first time last night down the street after getting the brake lines installed and bled. I have to figure out the lighting. I have LED turns on the forks with resistors, but they are not working. Also the brake light isn't working. I have the stock rear light switch and one built into the front brake lever all hooked up to the stock wiring harness.

The plan is to get this ready for the Mods vs Rockers tomorrow night. I work better with a deadline.

Mods vs Rockers 2017

I have a more extensive build thread HERE

Rusnak_322 Dork
Aug. 13, 2017 9:50 a.m.

Almost.....

The battery is not charging.

cmcgregor Dork
Aug. 13, 2017 2:16 p.m.

I like that a lot. Nice work.

84FSP Dork
Aug. 13, 2017 4:07 p.m.

Beautiful work sir.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Classic Motorsports

Classic Motorsports Monterey Welcome Party Welcomes 2000-Plus Gearheads

22 hours ago in Articles

Last night we threw a party, and more than 2000 people came to celebrate.

Concours on the Avenue Draws Big Crowds

23 hours ago in Articles

This year’s show again didn’t disappoint.

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

1 day ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Tomorrow, August 15: Join our Monterey Kickoff Cruise-In

2 days ago in News

Our Monterey welcome party is taking over all of downtown Pacific Grove.

Deal of the Month: Free Glovebox Companion!

5 days ago in News

Ever wished you had a handy guide on how to care for and troubleshoot your classic?

Special Monterey Screening of McLaren Documentary Set for August 18 at Golden State Theater

5 days ago in News

Coming to Monterey for Car Week? You might be able to enjoy a special screening of "McLaren."

Classic Motorsports Car Catcher: J. Geils's Maserati Sebring, Some Assembly Required

6 days ago in News

A rock star project will be auctioned off in Monterey next week.

Mlassic Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Classic Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
juCVW4biFwkE8fQNLUo7ijgf9LI3mujN