1 2 3 4
93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
11/8/17 1:07 p.m.

More of a shooting brake if anything, but I would must call it "ugly"

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
11/8/17 3:48 p.m.

I think I'd just take the SLK. And I don't particularly want an SLK. 

car39
car39 HalfDork
11/8/17 4:20 p.m.

They sold them on overstock.com  "Nuff said.

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
11/8/17 4:29 p.m.
Aspen said:
Robbie said:

I guess the real question is:

Is a crossfire a wagon?

No D-pillar so not a wagon, heck it doesn't even have a C-pillar.

Looks like a coupe to me.

Indy-Cougar-Guy
Indy-Cougar-Guy SuperDork
11/8/17 5:24 p.m.

I for one, really like the styling.... as they say, it's in the eye of the beholder. cool

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
11/8/17 7:25 p.m.

I did some googling after this thread came up and saw they have recirculating ball steering.  No wonder the steering is meh. 

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
11/8/17 7:34 p.m.

Never in the history of Crossfire have so many people researched Crossfires on the same day. Ha. 

M2Pilot
M2Pilot HalfDork
11/8/17 8:01 p.m.

When Crossfires first hit the market, the local dealer marked them up an additional $10K or so.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
11/8/17 8:05 p.m.
spitfirebill said:

I did some googling after this thread came up and saw they have recirculating ball steering.  No wonder the steering is meh. 

The e39 m5 also has recirculating ball, and I don't hear a lot of people complaining about its steering. 

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage HalfDork
11/8/17 8:06 p.m.

They have the profile of a squatting dog.

Apple Cougar Mellonseed
Apple Cougar Mellonseed MegaDork
11/8/17 9:03 p.m.
AClockworkGarage said:

They have the profile of a E36 M3ing dog.

Fixord

chandler
chandler PowerDork
11/8/17 9:04 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

My brother lives in Detroit, he's a retired Chrysler engineer.  I was visiting him one time back when those cars were new, and there were tons of them driving around.  My understanding was they were all employee lease cars, the company was making a sweet deal on them for employees since they were having a hard time selling them to the public.  Anyway, if you're thinking about one, Detroit (or possibly other cities that had Chrysler assembly plants at that time) may be a good place to look for one.

this is true, I’m an hour and a half south of Detroit and there is a dealer here that usually has ten crossfire’s on their lot. It’s owned by the father and son who owned the Chrysler dealership 80’s - 2016 so they have the experience. They also have three or four sky/solstices and some 350zs so it’s that type of lot. Treadway Used Cars

RossD
RossD MegaDork
11/8/17 9:05 p.m.

Perfect engine swap candidate. Especially one with a clutch pedal already installed. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
11/8/17 9:10 p.m.

Im ok regurgitating complaints about stock components... to a point. 

But i also tripled the power of a minivan and made it turn and took it across 5 states to race some of the people on this very forum. 

So........ let's stop being boring and make the car better? What is it about recirculating ball m5 steering, for example? 

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
11/8/17 10:28 p.m.

Obvious question is what's the biggest engine that will fit and is it a hellcat?

I really wanted one when they were new. Then I stood next to one when it showed up at my great uncles dealership and it just dashed all of my hopes and dreams.

Same issue I have with a lot of cars in that there's 0 chance of me fitting comfortably. Sadboi is I.

Luckily the idea of ludicrously fast land barges has always appealed to me so I just pine for a rolling living room that can go plaid.

Apple Cougar Mellonseed
Apple Cougar Mellonseed MegaDork
11/9/17 10:19 a.m.

You know if you Hellcrated a Crossfire, you must call the car "Hellfire."

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
11/9/17 10:20 a.m.

I saw a Crossfire in the parking lot at the grocery store the other day.  I liked those cars

NickD
NickD SuperDork
11/9/17 10:31 a.m.

There was a kit to put 5.7L/6.1L Hemis in Crossfires. A Hellcat is just a different bore/stroke with a blower on top, so in theory it's possible to jam one in there. Whack a hole in the hood, put a Powerglide with a transbrake behind it, narrowed 9", 4-link rear, tub it. Yeeeaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/9/17 10:41 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

"Because sliding through the Pearly Gates backwards in a blazing fireball is a great way to die."

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
11/9/17 10:45 a.m.

Well we know a 5.5L AMG engine will fit

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) PowerDork
11/14/17 1:52 p.m.

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/d/2004-chrysler-crossfire/6353057359.html

A three pedal Crossfire for 5 grand.  NMNA of course.  Doesn't look bad....

RossD
RossD MegaDork
11/14/17 3:58 p.m.

So wiki says that the 6 speed is the Chrysler NSG370. It's the same trans in the Wrangler behind the 3.6 Pentastar. You could swap case parts to get the Crossfire's transmission to bolt up to the Pentastar.

https://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmissions/manual/nsg370/

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/threads/72-dart-swinger-3-6l-pentastar-t5.361683/

Local Car-part.com search shows the crossfire 6speed to be very reasonably priced.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
11/15/17 10:06 a.m.

Aspen said:
Robbie said:

I guess the real question is:

Is a crossfire a wagon?

No D-pillar so not a wagon, heck it doesn't even have a C-pillar.

That last pillar looks very C to me!  cheeky

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/15/17 10:18 a.m.

I looked at one years ago when they were first starting to get cheap. It drove alright to my early 20 something mind (I have become more discerning since then) but the interior was falling apart already (Probably 09, so 5 years old at most) and the rims were beat to hell from parallel parking. I passed. I would love to snag one for challenge prices now though. The local craigslist is full of $10k + base model autos with lowish miles (two had salvage titles!) and a couple of higher mile units around $5k. Still seems steep for what you are getting. There was an $8k SRT-6 that looked like an alright deal. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
11/15/17 10:39 a.m.

In reply to RossD :

oooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6hITvgmr1YBSqFa90LrkZPmlIoyyItjJTvUhT02DCzx82do1AG6GZvivMs0yTcwn