1 2
Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/13/16 2:05 p.m.

In reply to WOW Really Paul?:

Nissan's track record? What have they done so bad? I enjoyed every Nissan product I have dealt with.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
5/13/16 2:40 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: In reply to WOW Really Paul?: Nissan's track record? What have they done so bad? I enjoyed every Nissan product I have dealt with.

They're not exactly the top of the reliability charts. I mean, they're not Chrysler bad, but they ain't good either.

WOW Really Paul?
WOW Really Paul? MegaDork
5/13/16 3:27 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
Flight Service wrote: In reply to WOW Really Paul?: Nissan's track record? What have they done so bad? I enjoyed every Nissan product I have dealt with.
They're not exactly the top of the reliability charts. I mean, they're not Chrysler bad, but they ain't good either.

They're trying very very hard to unseat Toyota from the top of the "Mediocre Import" charts....add in several bouts with questionable engineering/manufacturing and you end up where we are at now. Hell, I'd honestly rather keep my pulsar over anything new in their lineup.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/13/16 3:54 p.m.
WOW Really Paul? wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
They're trying very very hard to unseat Toyota from the top of the "Mediocre Import" charts....add in several bouts with questionable engineering/manufacturing and you end up where we are at now. Hell, I'd honestly rather keep my pulsar over anything new in their lineup.

If it weren't for the fact that they're all fugly, I'd take anything in the Infiniti lineup or the Z car.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/13/16 3:58 p.m.

The interior materials in both my '06 350Z Grand Touring and '11 Frontier Pro-4X with leather were beyond cheap.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
5/13/16 5:32 p.m.

Don't even get me started on the hideousness that has become Nissan. Holy crap. Driving past one of their dealerships I feel they should be cited on a daily basis for having the most hideous curb appeal on the street. I understand now why the local Nissan dealer lines their roadside with used cars. No one wants to see that ugliness.

WOW Really Paul?
5/13/16 6:15 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Don't even get me started on the hideousness that has become Nissan. Holy crap. Driving past one of their dealerships I feel they should be cited on a daily basis for having the most hideous curb appeal on the street. I understand now why the local Nissan dealer lines their roadside with used cars. No one wants to see that ugliness.

They're probably doing what the local GM dealer has been doing......buying base package 4cyl mustangs and claiming they sell for $500 more than a leather equipped base camaro(typically with 10-20k mi on the clock) Yay misleading people.

stroker
stroker SuperDork
5/14/16 10:12 a.m.

Mitsubishi should have stuck to what they build best.

Zeroes.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
5/14/16 10:18 a.m.
stroker wrote: Mitsubishi should have stuck to what they build best. Zeroes.

Mitsubishi sticking to building Zeros is a lot of why Japan went from "kicking Allied ass" to "OH CRAP" in the early-mid 1940s. That and keeping their best pilots in the field, as opposed to rotating them back home to train the next group of pilots.

Having an edge on the other guys is useless if you don't maintain that edge.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/14/16 10:23 a.m.

Mitsubishis build great diesel and jet engines, high speed trains, elevators, HVAC units, food processing equipment, satellites, pieces for international space station.....

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan HalfDork
5/14/16 1:41 p.m.

Listening to the Nissan hatred on here sometimes makes me want to stand in the middle and yell "Shenanigans". D.C. goes through periods of group buy. In the early oughts it was the Jetta. Then it was the redone Elantra and the Versa hatch. The Versa may not have been a Rabbit Gti but isn't that our fault as enthusiasts? Or are we just dis-enthusiasts? BTW anyone want to help me rescue the execrable turd of a Focus SVT I just bought?

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
5/14/16 3:14 p.m.

In reply to nutherjrfan:

Put a V8 in it. Done

WOW Really Paul?
5/15/16 1:30 p.m.
Flight Service wrote: In reply to nutherjrfan: Put a V8 in it. Done

Duratec v6 with snails......where the back seat should be.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
5/15/16 3:04 p.m.

I used to be a hardcore Nissan fan, I am still actually but only the 01 and earlier era of the company.

They have made so many horrible choices and I guarantee they are not going to make the right choices here.

Basically like Toyota and Honda they are focusing hard on their luxury brands. Honda finally is making an illusion of a 180 and trying to develop an interesting civic at least. However Toyota, Nissan, and Honda are obsessed with their halo car, luxury items, and kick the grassroots enthusiasts to the curb that brought these brands to popularity.

If Nissan were doing it right they would have this stake in Misubishi for the takeover of factories, allowing use of the Evo X engine and DCT technology and use it to replace the CVT, develop a new Evo and maybe putting that engine in a new scaled down Fairlady Z (like they always say they will make) that will be around 30k or less and try to build a new Sentra SE-R and beg forgiveness from their former fanbase.

In reality Nissan is likely buying them for electric car tech, is going to use that TT V6 engine and increase Z prices to $45k, keep the E36 M3ty cvt in their cars as they gradually get worse with each generation, and allow companies like Ford to steal all their sales with their increasingly 90s JDMesque model lineup.

Nissan could have done the Renault thing correctly. They could have decided to bring their nice hatchbacks overhere, especially the renaultsport ones, or used their chassis to build some interesting cars. They however didn't do anything at all. In some alternate history the Clio V6 was sold here with a VQ35. They made no good choices after the Renault deal so they will not prove me wrong with Mitsubishi.

I am completely jaded when it comes to Japanese car companies. To me they are all E36 M3 now and I have no hope for the future of any of them. I DID have hope for Mazda but the new Mazdaspeed products are in development hell and are probably vaporware at this point. It's a strange thing too because the yen is so low right now unlike the 90s when they had to stop selling cars like that. Subaru is doing what they always did and added the BRZ which is a dim light on the island nation.

Right now all my hopes for interesting cars are targeted at Ford and Hyundai/Kia. I'm putting money on the next gen Genesis/Veloster type cars to be a serious progression.

All of this is from the point of view of an enthusiast not a "I want an appliance" perspective.

former520
former520 Reader
5/15/16 11:28 p.m.

I do agree that many of the offerings are a little beat with ugly sticks on both sides of the deal. That being said, I love my ugly g37 sedan. It has been stone reliable and fun to drive, it is not infallible though, but no issues beyond minor announce.

I would like to see thme blend a couple of different platforms. 1st on the sporting end, the EVO and GTR. How cool would a GTR sedan that was a little more attainable be? Something like a the q50 with bonkers power and smart AWD.

The other would be a great off roader. Mitsubishi and the full Montero are solid, the xterra is nor quite as good. You could put both together and get something xterra sized with the locking diffs of the montero and have something to compete with the land cruiser for half of the 80k the land cruiser demands.

Way out in the weeds in a dream, a return to wrc.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XAf4zASFPzPZY6a7b1HclLZLwW5dcifMCfZZeks0zZhmQ1tPaFBAMcInLmVKJoEK