1 2
thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
5/5/14 11:59 a.m.

Build thread: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/1996-saab-9000-aero-new-dd/55627/page1/

• 1996 Saab 9000 Aero
  • 5spd
  • 280,001 miles
  • Imola Red/Black
  • Located in Waterbury, VT

This car runs strong and always has. I've "known" this car since 220k, and owned it from 226k to 260k and from 265k until now, it has been extremely dependable in that time. It does, however, need its fair share of TLC. Inspected in the state of Vermont through December. Over this winter all 3 lower engine mounts were replaced, last summer saw the right rear caliper and water pump, and the winter before that I did the radiator and serpentine belt + tensioner & idler pulleys and ignition switch.

The bad. Needs ASAP:

• Left rear caliper sticking burned through the pads, has been metal on metal for a while.
  • Right outer CV boot open, axle beginning to bind intermittently.

Things that will need to be addressed at some point:

• The trans has had a whine and slight grind in 3rd gear for the past 60k miles
  • The clutch, while perfectly happy on the stock ECU, does slip with a tuned ECU making 20PSI
  • Cracked windshield
  • The left rear shock tower is beginning to show some rust, but is still solid at this time. The front jack points have been repaired.
  • Exhaust manifold gasket leaks
  • Plenty of oil leaks
  • A suspension clunk or two, too
  • CEL is on with the original ECU, P0420 - Catalytic converter efficiency below threshold. Little aftermarket 3" cat.
  • Right rear door doesn't open from either side. I removed the panel and seat bottom on that side to investigate and got no further than that. Right front door only opens from the inside (typical 9000 stuff).
  • Sunroof reportedly went SNAP and needed help closing during the year I had sold it to a friend and it hasn't been opened since. I have a good complete sunroof assembly to include.
  • Tachometer works intermittently (typical 9000)

The ugly:

• Rust in both rear wheel arches, left fender, etc. Nothing bad, but it's there and visble.
  • Drivers seat well worn, right rear has a seam blown out
  • Dash top cracked
  • Will have a crappy grille (keeping the good one for my new 9000)
  • Aero front valence cracked under the right fog light, but in above average condition
  • It's generally a 280k mile car...

Now the fun stuff!

• Koni adjustable dampers all around
  • B&G springs
  • SAS swaybars
  • SAS rear spring spacers not installed but included (evens out "reverse rake")
  • Turbo back exhaust consisting of a stainless Group9 downpipe mated to a locally made cat back. The cat back... is kinda crap. 2.5" over the rear axle, hangers don't line up, muffler hits rear suspension.
  • EIIIUSA FMIC
  • Clear corner lights and smoked fender lights
  • Sunpro boost gauge on the A pillar dates to my 18 year old self... but it works.
  • Will have crappy open intake in the engine bay
  • A/C has been removed
  • Comes with one of two ECUs, your choice. I have the original, never altered ECU for the car that runs fine. Or I have a Stage 3 tuned ECU with T7 BPC conversion and downstream O2 sensor deactivated. Makes ~20PSI, which the clutch no longer holds. Also has no CEL due to the deactivated O2.
  • You also have the choice of one of two set of wheels and tires. Either the 15" "Directional" wheels with Gislaved snow tires that are on it, or a set of 16" Aeros with mediocre but runnable all seasons.

I'm being very critical of this car, and probably making it sound worse than it is. I want to be completely transparent about anything it needs - nobody likes that kind of surprise. With an axle and a caliper, this would be a perfectly reasonable and safe cheap car. Add a new clutch and the tuned ECU and it gets pretty quick, too

Pictures taken yesterday. It's filthy and in dire need of a detail.

Left wheel arch:

Left fender:

Right wheel arch:

And, FWIW, the paint does clean up to be pretty presentable. This was taken last summer:

Looking for $1500, obo.

I'm probably forgetting stuff, will update if I think of anything.

schumithecat
schumithecat New Reader
5/5/14 2:50 p.m.

damn wish I had that suspension. I have a $400 9k turbo track car same color... these cars are pretty quick (mine has about 500 lbs. of weight loss from gutted interior and hvac etc. which helps).

thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
5/5/14 5:31 p.m.

Buy for $1500, swap suspension between two cars, sell for $1500, profit.

schumithecat
schumithecat New Reader
5/6/14 5:29 p.m.

yeah my wife would kill me if I bought another saab plus it is like 1500 miles away.

thestig99 wrote: Buy for $1500, swap suspension between two cars, sell for $1500, profit.
thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
5/11/14 9:11 a.m.

Knew I was forgetting something: The exhaust manifold gasket is leaking too.

And a couple assembled pics:

tjbell
tjbell New Reader
5/13/14 9:13 p.m.

Mmm my 9-5 is rather lonely hahah glws from one saab guy to another. Nice to see a real 9k aero

thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
5/20/14 6:11 p.m.

Thanks.

I think your 9-5 would love to meet its father

thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
5/24/14 8:46 p.m.

Put 80 or so miles on it today moving some parts around. Didn't miss a beat. Made me wonder if I'm asking too little for it.

thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
6/1/14 3:20 p.m.

So this car is sitting in my parents yard. This fb post tells me its probably time for it to find a new home...

$1500?!

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non HalfDork
6/1/14 3:34 p.m.
thestig99 wrote: So this car is sitting in my parents yard. This fb post tells me its probably time for it to find a new home... $1500?!

FB says FREE. I'll take it if that is the case.

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/1/14 3:48 p.m.
Sine_Qua_Non wrote:
thestig99 wrote: So this car is sitting in my parents yard. This fb post tells me its probably time for it to find a new home... $1500?!

Facebook says free thats a contract, when can I pick it up

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non HalfDork
6/1/14 3:53 p.m.
ryanty22 wrote:
Sine_Qua_Non wrote:
Facebook says free thats a contract, when can I pick it up

Sorry I already call dibs. Since I am nice, You can pick it up and deliver it to me.

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/1/14 3:55 p.m.

You didnt say claimed

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non HalfDork
6/1/14 4:04 p.m.

In reply to ryanty22:

This isn't a democracy no more and The Walking Dead rule don't exist here.

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/1/14 4:11 p.m.

LMAO

thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
6/2/14 11:58 a.m.

Dammit

OutsideGroove
OutsideGroove New Reader
6/2/14 5:12 p.m.

I am closer and seeing it is free I will even toss in a 6 pack of whatever you like to drink.

thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
6/3/14 5:07 p.m.

NOW we're getting somewhere

ryanty22
ryanty22 HalfDork
6/3/14 7:21 p.m.

12 pack

thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
7/2/14 11:51 a.m.

Bump? GRM price of $1300?

More beer?

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
7/2/14 12:29 p.m.

It would cost me another $1300 to come get it!

The wife wont let me get another vehicle since she has the e39 now. Otherwise I would try a weekend trip deal with her...

NordicSaab
NordicSaab New Reader
7/2/14 12:34 p.m.

How much is a plane ticket from FL to VT w/ a check bag of tools?

Potential plan...

1) Fly to Vermont 2) Enjoy amazing waffles and maple syrup 3) Go to parts store and swap out axel and calipers in parking lot. 4) Drive home to FL 5) have wife stab me to death 6) Compete is GRM challenge as an undead zombie?

thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
7/2/14 4:35 p.m.

I approve of this plan. I'll pick you up at BTV.

I see <$150 for a ticket from Orlando to Burlington.

tjbell
tjbell New Reader
7/3/14 8:32 a.m.

I just want this so badly every time i read it, how much more abuse can that engine handle at 280k at 20 psi?!?!

thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
7/3/14 4:57 p.m.

These engines are seriously stout. That doesn't concern me at all.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EznoiYtcPzdAYF1POxuIYCXwtuE6a1ESDgRx3cl1TA4yp8JuRl7wS88OJY5ktfOn