bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/4/19 3:05 p.m.

is there still valve cover racing?

stafford1500
stafford1500 Dork
9/4/19 3:29 p.m.

Yes there is. The rules are listed in the challenge web site at 2000challenge.com

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/4/19 3:53 p.m.

In reply to stafford1500 :

sweet. I have a G13B cam cover I've been wanting to do this with and I also have the extras from the Tib's Delta. I need to measure them though. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
9/5/19 9:18 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/12/19 2:27 p.m.

Still adding people to the pre-Challenge shirt order for the next 10 days or so. At that point I'll make a shirt order and start assembling everything. Shirts will still be available later, but you'll have to wait until after the Challenge for me to mail them to you. About 30 people on the list right now which has me excited. We're going to have ourselves a good time. 

I should buy a banquet ticket.......

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
9/13/19 6:40 a.m.

Seth do you have a list or count of who is in the gastropods so far?

mazdeuce - Seth
9/13/19 7:12 a.m.

In reply to pimpm3 :

It's a fluid situation. I do have some people that have told me they're coming, what car they're going to be in, and how excited they are for tacos. Other people have a car and are still working on schedules. Still others are shopping. I can say that right now "greater than 10" is a reasonable guess. I think we're going to have a good time. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/13/19 7:34 a.m.

I know I'm in.... I even have a source for quality parts in case I blow this one up. 

pimpm3
pimpm3 UltraDork
9/14/19 8:18 a.m.

I am in for sure

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
9/16/19 1:12 p.m.

Is there any kind of consensus as to what are the good 250 tw tires?  Or is the extensive testing happening secretly? ;)

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 HalfDork
9/16/19 1:18 p.m.

In reply to Lof8 :

It seems like OLOA and GTA enthusiast class tires will be the hot choices perhaps. GTA does utilize 220tw so there is one tire they run (Achilles 123S) which won't work on a gastropod due to 220tw but the other usual suspects seem to be fine.

In no particular order the tires on my short list for gastropod contention are:

GT Radial Champiro SX2

Michelin P4S

Continental Extreme Contact Sport (and pray it rains)

Lof8
Lof8 Dork
9/16/19 1:47 p.m.

this is an interesting conundrum.  I have literally no use for a 250 tw tire other than Gastropod class at the Challenge.  I'll check the tires the car came with after work and hopefully they're not too junked - and I can just use those. 

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 HalfDork
9/16/19 2:42 p.m.
Lof8 said:

this is an interesting conundrum.  I have literally no use for a 250 tw tire other than Gastropod class at the Challenge.  I'll check the tires the car came with after work and hopefully they're not too junked - and I can just use those. 

That is much the same boat I am in. I have a set of 17x9's with re71's (not gastropod legal) which are far more fun to drive on. Or I have the stock 16" wheels with 480tw tires. My goal had been to buy a set of gasto legal tires for the 17x9's before the challenge, but my personal budget is disagreeing currently, despite challenge budget saying they're a $0 hit.

mazdeuce - Seth
9/16/19 4:58 p.m.

We'll have a chat about rules at the Challenge this year. I'm sure tires will be part of that discussion. I want to thank the lot of you for being understanding and just rolling with things the way they are. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/16/19 6:28 p.m.

There's some good tires in the 300 TW rating. The Firehawk is a good one. I'm not allowed to buy any so I'm rolling some 500 TW mix-matched all seasons. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/16/19 6:29 p.m.

Also, just realized that the host hotel is less than a mile from the wife's aunt's house. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
9/16/19 7:13 p.m.
bobzilla said:

There's some good tires in the 300 TW rating. The Firehawk is a good one. I'm not allowed to buy any so I'm rolling some 500 TW mix-matched all seasons. 

I'm running 500 TW all seasons as well, because Indiana Winters and daily driver.

slowbird
slowbird HalfDork
9/16/19 7:41 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

We'll have a chat about rules at the Challenge this year. I'm sure tires will be part of that discussion. I want to thank the lot of you for being understanding and just rolling with things the way they are. 

I have lots of bad ideas I can suggest for next year. cheeky Such as:

Gastropod tires have to be at least 600tw (what's the highest tw rating ever? can we get prius eco-tires in normal sizes)

You *must* use drag slicks on the drive wheels - including in the autocross (might be unsafe? if so never mind)

everyone has to race on the same exact set of used mud tires (not sure how we'd get them to fit every car, mind you)

Okay okay, stop pelting me with rotten fruit, I'll shut up laugh

gumby
gumby Reader
9/16/19 8:16 p.m.
bobzilla said:

There's some good tires in the 300 TW rating. The Firehawk is a good one.

The Firehawk is what I picked out. Unfortunately, I have not been afforded a chance to test them beyond holding up the car....

packrat
packrat New Reader
9/17/19 10:21 a.m.

In reply to klodkrawler05 :

I haven’t bought them yet, but I found a set of 300AAA tires in 18”s called the Cosmo MM for $287ish with free shipping from Priority Tire.  I don’t know anything about them, but the few reviews I found were positive and it appears they make them in quite a few sizes.  It’s the only new tire I’ve found that is personal budget friendly for me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
9/17/19 12:02 p.m.
bluej
bluej UberDork
9/17/19 1:39 p.m.

our tire choice ended up as sticker fresh:

(4) 275/40-18 HANKOOK VENTUS V12 EVO2 K120 TIRES

They feel fairly soft for 320 tw..

stan_d
stan_d SuperDork
9/17/19 7:20 p.m.

How wide of rim for those ?

bluej
bluej UberDork
9/17/19 9:46 p.m.
stan_d said:

How wide of rim for those ?

I've got em on 9's. I had the wheels, so was looking for a good value at the widest i could stuff on.

Greg Smith
Greg Smith Dork
9/19/19 12:24 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

This is the final T-shirt design and color. Yes, it's burgundy...

I love it! Looking forward to another year at the Challenge and good times with the slow folks. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VMXYUkNz61LmuhNH2MR1R6rYHoKOwnrSkhSQo04M3pbEG0gpCq5H1hrCJg1n8AUm