1 2
sachilles
sachilles Dork
7/18/11 2:38 p.m.

Long story short, a co-worker had this car. I told him if he ever decided to sell it, to let me know. He finally decided to sell it. I had dreams of fixing the rear quarter panel rust they all seem to have, and make a daily driver of it. Getting it on a lift, the rear subframe is pretty rusted. At this point I don't think it's worth the effort for my needs. Though I think it would be a good rallycross beater for someone. I thought about keeping it for myself for that purpose....but since I'm lucky to get to one rallyx a year, that seems a waste.

Lots of issues with the car, hence the low price. However, I could part it out and make the asking price and then some. Car has been sitting for 3 months at least. 169k miles, most in northern new england. Rust on the rear quarters, and rear subframe is pretty soft. inside the trunk lid has some rust as well. Exhaust looks like hell, but doesn't leak as yet, but the heat shields rattle and at least one hanger has rusted off. It might survive one rallyx, but anything after the cat doesn't look long for life. Brakes will need to be done on all four corners. Both drivers sides stick a bit, but does come with a new(reman) front caliper. ABS light is on. Check engine light is on. Despite head gaskets being done around 130k, the driver side shows evidence of an external leak. Engine still runs strong. Wheels, even though they are in the picture, the rs five spokes are not included. It will come with your choice of oem wrx 16 rims, or "sport edition" 6 spoke 15" rims. Both choices come with well worn winter tires. Windshield has a small star in it, but not noticeable unless you really look. Dog hair....lots of it. Interior is well worn but serviceable. A/C.....doesn't work and is missing parts.

On the upside, the front part of the body is in amazing shape for the age. 5 speed tranny still seems good.

Basically, a really good car to beat the snot out of at a rallyx a couple of times, then part out. Maybe a winter beater, but more likely a parts donor. I've always wanted one as a street car, but I just couldn't justify making this one into a daily driver. Not really worth a cage etc.

If it doesn't sell, I'll end up parting her out, keeping the driveline components as backups for my fleet of subies. Not sure how well keeping a parts car in the yard will for my marriage.

Pictures at the below link. It looks better in the pictures than it actually is....how's that for a sales pitch? :D http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj91/sachilles/cookie/

Car is located in Waitsfield VT. And yes I could be persuaded to deliver via trailer to some place in new england after purchase if you make it worth my effort. Trades? Slide in bed camper? Life time supply of beer? Snowblower? Hans device or other head and neck restraint? fia approved seat?

Woody
Woody SuperDork
7/18/11 4:14 p.m.

Hmmm...snowblower, huh?

I currently have more Subarus than I need. But I also have more snowblowers than I need. I'd trade this one for just the wheels and rear spoiler.

Photobucket

Josh
Josh Dork
7/18/11 4:18 p.m.

Hah, I also have a snowblower I could stand to get rid of. It's an older craftsman, a big one with tracks. Blown 9hp tecumseh motor, but I have a new in crate tecumseh 11hp that I can install prior to delivery...

Woody
Woody SuperDork
7/18/11 4:57 p.m.
Josh wrote: Hah, I also have a snowblower I could stand to get rid of. It's an older craftsman, a big one with tracks. Blown 9hp tecumseh motor, but I have a new in crate tecumseh 11hp that I can install prior to delivery...

Bastard...

sachilles
sachilles Dork
7/19/11 8:15 a.m.

Woody, I'm not going to sell the RS wheels. It's my favorite subie rim, especially since it's 7 inches wide. One of my reasons for buying the car in the first place. Car comes with wrx rims or aftermarket 15" rims. Might have a source for an RS coupe spoiler as well, if you are looking for one.

Josh, you got a picture of the snow blower?

sachilles
sachilles Dork
7/19/11 9:23 a.m.

Oh, and it appears I should be open to the trade of a hot water heater (LP).

The_Jed
The_Jed Reader
7/19/11 7:47 p.m.

Why must it be in Vermont... or why must I be in Central Illinois!?

Josh
Josh Dork
7/19/11 8:00 p.m.

The snowblower is currently buried under crap in the shed. It's probably not actually worth a whole car, and I probably shouldn't be trying to acquire another vehicle right now anyway. If I did it ought to be something I can make a winter beater out of without endangering my life :). I really should look for an OBS for my intended purposes.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
7/20/11 8:02 a.m.

Honestly, I'm debating finding a rear subframe in good shape and swapping it in and running it. The more I look at my daily driver 2000 2.5rs, the more I realize this one is in better shape.

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
7/20/11 8:04 a.m.

Sounds like a great donor for one of those factory five jobs...

sachilles
sachilles Dork
8/17/11 2:11 p.m.

I toyed with the idea of turning this into a daily driver. Cost of body work that I can't do, made it cost prohibitive. I really should have a wagon anyway. Back up for sale. Would trade for another subaru in need of repair(wagon body style prefered). Would even consider cash to you.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
8/17/11 3:25 p.m.

FWIW we took the rear-sub out of a rusty 2.5RS cleaned it up, welded a couple plates to reinforce weak points, painted an re-installed it. Now the car is running 275 Hoosier A6's without incident.

There's a long wait for new OEM RS sub-frames.

Jay
Jay SuperDork
8/17/11 3:53 p.m.
The_Jed wrote: Why must it be in Vermont... or why must I be in Central Illinois!?

It's an old beater Subaru and you're wondering why it's in Vermont?

sachilles
sachilles Dork
8/17/11 5:24 p.m.

by the way, I have truck and trailer can could be convinced to deliver within 3 hour radius.

Cheese_Sandwich
Cheese_Sandwich
8/23/11 10:11 a.m.

This is pretty much exactly what I've been looking for. Sent you a pm.

The_Jed
The_Jed Reader
8/24/11 6:12 a.m.

In reply to Jay:

Not so much wondering as I am lamenting the distance. There are lots of "old beater" Subarus around St. Louis, I'm just whingey since this isn't one of them. It's probably for the best since I already have an on-going Brighton project.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
8/24/11 12:31 p.m.

Just to twist the knife Jed, I have another one 2000 RS sedan, that I'm selling in the near future, and I'm driving to Buffalo labor day weekend, so it could be half way there. Though I think I may have that one sold too. There was so much interest at the blue one, that I mentioned my other one to anybody that inquired about the first one. So I think it will go quickly. Rusty, but otherwise decent and Sti seats.

The_Jed
The_Jed Reader
8/24/11 7:41 p.m.

In reply to sachilles:

You are an evil, evil man.

There's just something about an old first generation Impreza.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
8/25/11 9:08 a.m.

In reply to The_Jed:

I know. That is why I bought three. Sadly, I expect I will not have a single first generation impreza in my driveway by the end of September, however, I'll still have 3 subarus(bugeye sedan race car, bugeye wrx wagon daily, and maybe a 05 legacy gt sedan if things go right this weekend).

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 Reader
8/25/11 10:31 a.m.

You would if you didn't throw them down the mountain

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
8/25/11 10:51 a.m.

I have a spare and new water heater. PM me

sachilles
sachilles Dork
8/25/11 12:54 p.m.
camaroz1985 wrote: You would if you didn't throw them down the mountain

Well, actually, I'll still have that one....it's just in an 02 impreza body now.

I realize it might looks like a bitchin' wrx, but underneath it's got all the slow parts.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
8/25/11 12:55 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote: I have a spare and new water heater. PM me

Sadly, so do I now.

RoadWarrior
RoadWarrior Reader
8/25/11 7:42 p.m.

Argh...too bad I don't got room for another car!

Taiden
Taiden Dork
8/25/11 9:28 p.m.

What the heck? Are you parting it out?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6O4Pg4dJbw3Gqemsi99RvnobQVPLRjqWDurloAP6Hjinmd40JKE4849jLlfRaqJH