patgizz
patgizz SuperDork
1/11/12 5:09 p.m.

1968 C20. 292 inline 6 with 4 speed manual and 4.56 dana rear axle.

runs very good, trans works well. throwout bearing makes a little noise when the pedal is pressed. manual steering. manual everything actually.

body is probably a 4 on a scale of 1-10 where 10 is mint and 1 has been in the ocean for a decade. there is rust, some panels have had work, there are holes, and the floors could use attention as there is some great stuff expanding foam between floor and rocker on drivers side.

speedo needs fixed(needle broken and starts at 70 but it does move), oil press gauge non functional. doesnt appear the heat controller will work, etc... wipers work. bed wood was covered with metal inside. tailgate is beat. has 2" receiver, thats as far as i've been under it. has the arms/coil rear suspenion, not leaf springs. 8 lug. front tires excellent, matching pair in bed for rear. exhaust is new and it runs quiet. does put out good heat, i just think the control on the dash is messed up.

118k miles

truck is ugly but has potential to be an awesome classic hauler or home depot beater with cheap registration and insurance. i think it's cool as hell. comes with v8 motor mounts if one cared to swap the six out, but the 292 is torquey and moves the truck very well. $1200 cash/OBO no trades.

truck is in cleveland ohio, title is ready to go.

edit: i just installed the mirrors, brand new taillight lenses, and purchased a power brake bracket and linkage assembly for $70(brand new) that will be included along with a power booster from an 88-89 silverado.

wbjones
wbjones SuperDork
1/11/12 5:26 p.m.

I assume that could haul an open trailer with a CRX on it ...?

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
1/11/12 6:26 p.m.

about 6 months too early but just what I'll be shopping for later this year.

patgizz
patgizz SuperDork
1/11/12 6:35 p.m.
wbjones wrote: I assume that could haul an open trailer with a CRX on it ...?

i don't see why not. not sure on the rating but it is an 8 lug 3/4 ton with a heavy duty cast iron 4 speed with a really low first gear and a beefy full floater rear axle.

patgizz
patgizz SuperDork
1/11/12 7:23 p.m.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Reader
1/16/12 5:55 p.m.

That needs an old school 327 with dual 4's and too big of a cam with headers/glasspacks/side exit exhaust.

Leave the outside as is

patgizz
patgizz SuperDork
1/16/12 6:07 p.m.

no way, the 292 is staying.

integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
1/16/12 8:28 p.m.

If it were mine, I'd leave it as is or at least try to upgrade the brakes to power assisted and if necessary disc brakes at the front. I'd also pop for power steering if it could be added. Most trucks of this vintage, at least the Chevys, (Dodges and Fords not so much) have badly rusted rockers and trashed beds...this one doesn't look too bad for being 43 years old. I'd buy it if I lived somewheres where A/C wasn't really necessary.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill SuperDork
1/17/12 7:39 a.m.

Now that's what I call a truck.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
1/17/12 8:07 a.m.

Pat, I would be interested if you ultimately decide to sell it. I live near Akron and work in Cleveland, so I'm local. PM me if you want to sell it and we'll work out a time for me to come look at it. Thanks, Jim

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku SuperDork
1/17/12 8:08 a.m.

looks better than described. Add 1971 front disc brakes and correct gauge pkg. Truck will run forever. If the shifter feels sloppy, its and easy fix. 4.56 sounds crazy low are you sure thats right?

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
1/17/12 8:22 a.m.

Most of these old trucks were geared really low. 4.11:1 is pretty standard. 4.56 wouldn't surprise me at all. They were made in a day when you could safely drive 55 mph, remember.

And they always look better in pictures than a good description ;)

The whole front suspension from a '73-'87 truck (crossmember and all) should bolt in with minimal hassle...if whoever owns it in the spring is desirous of disk brakes.

Clem

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku SuperDork
1/17/12 9:41 a.m.

my 70 Suburban was a 292 4 speed combo, but had 3.08 gears. It was a 1/2 ton though. The double nickle didn't come along till 74, right?

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
1/17/12 1:03 p.m.

classic chevrolet truck. rarely seen in Chicago due to salt and rust.

drive it 2-3 years and you will probably sell it for more than $1200.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
1/17/12 1:13 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: my 70 Suburban was a 292 4 speed combo, but had 3.08 gears. It was a 1/2 ton though. The double nickle didn't come along till 74, right?

I'm not sure when the 55 mph speed limit came into effect (if '74, it was before I was born). Regardless...I said you could safely travel at 55 mph. Not that you had to .

Things have changed a LOT since then (many more interstates, the amount of traffic on said interstates, etc).

I guess my point is that in the '60s, I think a truck that topped out at about 60 mph (give or take) was perfectly acceptable to the truck-buying public.

Clem

NGTD
NGTD Dork
1/17/12 3:42 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: 4.56 sounds crazy low are you sure thats right?

292 straight six in a 3/4 ton.

It's called torque multiplication. I wouldn't doubt the 4.56:1 for a second.

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
1/17/12 3:48 p.m.

geesus, I haven't even heard a 292 mentioned in the last 10 or more so years.... but if ya got one rock it.

patgizz
patgizz SuperDork
3/10/12 10:00 a.m.

bump.

Jim(bravenrace) has first dibs.

i have installed the mirrors, put on brand new taillight lenses, purchased new power brake booster brackets and linkage, and include a 88 silverado booster.

i have been driving the truck for a month and am in love with it but cash makes more sense right now.

more observations - the passenger side of the floor seems fine, the driver's side is the soft part. the cab is in better shape than i thought as i based my entire judgement on the driver's side where the floor meets the rocker. it's a fun truck to run to the home depot in, it turns lots of heads. there aren't many trucks this old still driving around.

baby not included

racerboy000
racerboy000 Reader
3/10/12 8:27 p.m.

has a title?

Goldmember
Goldmember Reader
3/11/12 7:50 a.m.

Damn. About 500 miles too far. Damn good deal though.

patgizz
patgizz SuperDork
3/11/12 1:45 p.m.
racerboy000 wrote: has a title?

yes, in first post. title is clear, good, in my name ready to transfer, etc...

patgizz
patgizz UltraDork
3/15/12 8:58 a.m.

lotsa pics

http://s1134.photobucket.com/albums/m619/patguzowski/c20/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3EZul06iZDeTH8yfRAvjddIef5tP6pWLFJlFDNjK0pcC8iwHhSR1yX0GkFkr3pQy