speedblind
speedblind Reader
12/2/10 4:22 p.m.

I bought this car on this forum awhile back with the intent of fixing whatever was wrong and driving it, but in the meantime I decided to move 3,000 miles away and start a company. :)

So, unfortunately, I have to pass what was originally a smoking deal off to someone else on this forum. I'm asking exactly what I paid, even though I transported the car from TN to VA and bought a new battery for the car.

Quick rundown

The car is a 2004 1.8t GTI 2-door, non-sunroof car w/ manual transmission. The car has 153K (ish) miles on it, and was very well maintained by the previous owner. I have a lot of dealership receipts, and it looks like he pretty much did whatever the dealer recommended.

The body of the car is in overall very good condition, with a few bumps here and there, but no major damage. Interior is leather and could use a cleaning, but is in otherwise very good shape. This is not a $1,500 car, this is a $4-5k car with a mechanical issue.

Brief history

I bought the car because it was "running rough" and the PO was going to have to spend a lot of time and money with his mechanic to fix it. Brought the car home, and it looks like it skipped a tooth or two on the timing belt.

I suspect R/R the head and getting some basic machining done would do the trick, but I haven't dug into the car much further than pulling the codes due to a lack of time.

That's about it. I have some pics to post, but I'd like this thing gone as soon as possible. It's currently in Herndon, VA. You'll have to tow the car, as it drives but it's pretty rough. I'm pretty firm on the price - this is a great deal for anybody with a little time and know-how.

speedblind
speedblind Reader
12/2/10 4:25 p.m.

Some pics of the car:

Pumpkin Escobar
Pumpkin Escobar SuperDork
12/2/10 5:59 p.m.

boy am I glad you live sooo far away!

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
12/2/10 9:11 p.m.

That had better make next years challenge.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
12/2/10 9:42 p.m.

You have a very important message.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
12/3/10 9:04 a.m.

god, if this were closer, id be all over this!

RoadWarrior
RoadWarrior Reader
12/3/10 9:31 a.m.

Wow...time to start calling the friends to see who got a truck and trailer and wants todo a road trip

speedblind
speedblind Reader
12/3/10 4:35 p.m.

I haven't gotten any messages - maybe email is better. I can be reached at zocchi at hotmail dot com.

Thanks for the interest! It sucks to let this car go, but I'll be happy if it goes to someone from this board.

skruffy
skruffy SuperDork
12/3/10 4:48 p.m.

Damn, this would be right up my alley if you weren't 8 hours away and I hadn't just scrapped my free 1.8t motor with a spun rod bearing.

I stored that damn motor for like 6 years thinking a project would come along. Scrapped it this summer and like 10 nice candidates have come up since.

92dxman
92dxman HalfDork
12/3/10 4:48 p.m.

I have ideas of tdi swap dancing around in my head..

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
12/4/10 12:10 p.m.

If my girlfriend wouldn't kill me I'd be booking a one way ticket to dc and packing a bag of tools right now.

That sure would look good next to the GLI

paul
paul Reader
12/4/10 4:10 p.m.

This car would sell on a vw-specific site (e.g. vw vortex) for $3,000 very quickly...

Sonic
Sonic Dork
12/4/10 8:03 p.m.

Picking it up Thursday night. :)

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
12/4/10 8:26 p.m.

Colour me Green.

Congrats Sonic!

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
12/4/10 8:31 p.m.
Sonic wrote: Picking it up Thursday night. :)

Another Festivus Miracle!

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
12/6/10 12:47 a.m.

Congrats Sonic! I'm too slow.

Sonic
Sonic Dork
12/10/10 8:19 a.m.

The retrival last night went well. The car is exactly as described, and ran enough to drive on and off the trailer. Now it is in the garage waiting for me to start investigating the problem. The shell and interior are quite nice, this will be a nice car when done.

Thanks to Speedblind, who was great to deal with.

Updates to come over on the GRM board

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Reader
12/10/10 11:15 a.m.

Hit me up if you need parts, I might have some left over valves.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
G9fMD55zzHln90SvixhktuKm3ta39eGzTXHRqInl3iHdkM0223pAYoLUJyz7npuW