singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
8/27/15 11:14 a.m.

I have an 81 Starlet that is partially apart that I bought with the intent of making it a challenge car. However, I have a baby on the way and the wife wants to clean the driveway out. It is time for someone else to take it over. It is rusty (will need floors) and has hail damage (primarily on the roof and hood), but the glass is all good and I have a clean title in my name for it. The motor and transmission are sold but who wants those anyway! I have other engines/transmissions that can come with it for a nominal fee (SHO 3.0L V6 and ranger transmission, Volvo T6 (2) straight 6, Toyota w58, 302). I would love to sell it but it isn't worth much of anything so I will accept trades or anything cool. Make something awesome out of it and let me drive it sometime and we can make it a REALLY cheap way into the challenge with a car the weighs basically nothing but is mostly watertight. Pictures later.

EvanB
EvanB UltimaDork
8/27/15 11:23 a.m.

Glad you are farther away than I want to drive right now.

I have some rotaries and transmissions that would work great in this for whoever buys it...

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
8/27/15 11:55 a.m.

Well, I don't really want to scrap it but that is likely its fate unless someone comes and gets it.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun Dork
8/27/15 1:41 p.m.

A rotary-powered Starlet? THAT would be fun...

bengro
bengro New Reader
8/27/15 1:57 p.m.

Look forward to seeing some pictures. Would this thing flat tow with a tow bar?

Would the miata drivetrain even make sense to bolt into this thing?

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
8/27/15 2:23 p.m.

With a little work, I would imagine it would flat tow. I took the the front crossmember out but it should be easy to put back in. A miata engine would almost double the stock power. It weighs very similar to a stock miata.

patgizz
patgizz PowerDork
8/27/15 9:20 p.m.

keep in mind you need at least some weight over front wheels to make flat towing work. i tried to flat tow a rolling chassis and the front wheels would not track. ended up strapping the steering linkage straight and dragging the fronts around turns. i had a rough time flat towing my impala with no engine as well. it kept trying to go straight into turns. such a light car might need a trailer.

psteav
psteav Dork
8/28/15 9:35 a.m.

Is this where I get to say "I told you so"?

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
8/28/15 1:17 p.m.

In reply to psteav:

And I respond with "Hi Kettle!"

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy HalfDork
8/29/15 9:42 a.m.
bengro wrote: Look forward to seeing some pictures. Would this thing flat tow with a tow bar? Would the miata drivetrain even make sense to bolt into this thing?

I have not been up to speed, but I flat tow my starlet with a home made tow bar. No issues. If it wants some weight, strap some wheels and tires in there???

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/29/15 10:24 a.m.

"Mostly watertight".

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
8/29/15 2:29 p.m.

Picture time!

I might have gotten a little overzealous with the mower.

I do have the entire front suspension and wheels with good tires. It is going to need a LOT of rust repair but it has a clean title and can be yours for a minor amount of horse trading.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
8/29/15 2:50 p.m.

I have the entire front clip too

stan
stan UltraDork
8/31/15 7:03 a.m.

I hate rust, but still seems like a good deal (for someone closer -not me!).

...and congratulations on the new baby!

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
8/31/15 11:33 a.m.

Thanks!

Come on though, OH isn't THAT far away.

bengro
bengro New Reader
9/1/15 9:13 p.m.

Will you all enable me by posting super cheap LS400s so this can get a 1UZ?

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
9/9/15 9:18 a.m.

This thing needs to get out of my driveway. I am open to offers of beer, scotch, good will, etc...

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
10/22/15 10:20 a.m.

It is still here and I am not really wanting to crush it.

captdownshift
captdownshift UltraDork
10/22/15 10:56 a.m.

Swank needs this in his life. It will cure his rut and allow for proper swap and boost insanity.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
10/22/15 11:00 a.m.

I couldn't agree more!

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
10/22/15 11:25 a.m.
captdownshift wrote: Swank needs this in his life. It will cure his rut and allow for proper swap and boost insanity.

A Starlet counts as "all the things", right?

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
10/22/15 11:26 a.m.

I would imagine it does.

captdownshift
captdownshift UltraDork
10/22/15 11:40 a.m.

In reply to tuna55:

Exactly! All that torque in something with the weight of a thimble

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kwWkhGukow7CPVQACVoed4Hf5NqDrl3qlzGU4u5TrRdv0WVJKpPyyC5pV2WrHpB8