DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
8/12/10 1:08 p.m.

Not mine

Formula 440 – Red Devil This is an older model Red Devil (I am told) that is in need of a total rebuild/restoration. It was running a year and half ago when I bought it but has never run since then so I would consider it a non-running vehicle. The frame-work looks like it was hand painted in green and it shows. There is also a spot where the frame was bent and was then repaired with two pieces bolted on to form a structural sandwich (see picture). The tires appear to be in decent shape and hold air for about a week before softening. There is surface rust on the exhaust and on some of the other drive train components. The fiberglass bodywork seems to be complete but needs some patching and about half of the Dzus attachment bolts are missing. The engine is a Kawasaki 440 motorcycle motor and most, if not all, parts can be found on EBay for very little expense. The car is complete but needs a thorough going over. While it could be run in SCCA Formula 500 class I feel it would be better suited competing in Solo Events. This would be a great team-building project for a school or weekend project for the do-it-yourself. I'm asking $599.00 but come take a look and if you like it make an offer. It should fit in a standard size pickup bed and can also help with delivery. Please email me or call 770-595-8417 for more pictures and with any questions. Thanks for looking - Greg

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/1894639896.html

Woody
Woody SuperDork
8/12/10 1:21 p.m.

Damn you, Atlanta Craigslist.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
8/12/10 1:59 p.m.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeff
Jeff Dork
8/12/10 2:58 p.m.

If I end up moving there, I'm going to have so many cars................

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
8/12/10 4:01 p.m.

I said it before, i'll say it again, i need to move to Atlanta.

triumph5
triumph5 Reader
8/12/10 4:09 p.m.

Atlanta and Ohio? What is going on with these places and the hard-to-find stuff and deals? The economy??? DITTO all posts above.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
8/12/10 4:12 p.m.

I'm going to guess that car is too old to meet current safety regs for road racing, but I'm no expert. Still for $600, it could make for one hell of an auto-x car.

modernbeat
modernbeat HalfDork
8/12/10 4:27 p.m.

There's a move to get 600cc four-stroke engines legalized in these cars.

Ian_F
Ian_F Reader
8/12/10 9:54 p.m.

Yes... we know...

eebasist
eebasist New Reader
8/13/10 6:34 a.m.

Would be a fun go cart.....but there is absolutely no suspension in these old F440s from the 1970s. They aren't competitive, and are brutal on the driver....that said, it would be a fun toy.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
8/13/10 10:26 a.m.

Yeah, I would buy this assuming that most of it would need to be rebuilt. They changed the roll-bar diameter requirement sometime after this car was built, thus making it impractical to be rebuilt into a road-racing car. Plus, the driver's feet are too far ahead of the wheels. However, none of this a problem in auto-x. One would likely re-engineer the suspension and change the cooling system to something more appropriate for auto-x. Probably completely redo the brakes as well. Who knows what condition the engine is in... Regardless, $600 for the base chassis and bodywork is still a great price.

That said, I'm lucky I don't have $600 sitting around... nor any place to put it if I were to get it... otherwise, I could very well be hopping in the truck and driving down to Atlanta.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
8/13/10 10:47 a.m.

Im in the same position as the rest of you guys. I would so get this today, but i am getting that Volvo Wagon and still finishing up the Eurovan. Who knows, if its still up in 2 weeks time, there might be a F500 in the fleet...

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
8/14/10 11:17 a.m.

I was ready to buy that about a year ago...I called on it, and was told it was sold....

Spinout007
Spinout007 Dork
8/14/10 6:29 p.m.

1000cc engines are getting cheaper and cheaper.......just sayin

eebasist
eebasist New Reader
8/14/10 6:39 p.m.

Someone please buy it.......I've got the wife convinced to let me go to ATL next weekend.

dorri732
dorri732 New Reader
8/14/10 6:58 p.m.

Sold, or so I'm told.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ViAftwIPabklkDEv50F6YyAtHfblwx623VGNaglHrczvftSQbHLzjpduivpAUhN6