DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
11/15/15 6:11 p.m.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/pts/5316787282.html

Woody
Woody MegaDork
11/15/15 6:15 p.m.

Aside from the doors, that looks surprisingly complete.

rusty
rusty New Reader
11/15/15 6:19 p.m.

The rear is sitting pretty high. I bet there is no engine.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
11/15/15 7:16 p.m.
rusty wrote: The rear is sitting pretty high. I bet there is no engine.

Well, it does say "not running", which certainly could be "Craigslistian" for "no engine".

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
11/15/15 7:38 p.m.

It looks surprisingly ok without doors.

psteav
psteav Dork
11/15/15 7:45 p.m.

Most of the original GT's ran wihthout doors...you could get plexiglass "gullwings" but most of those have gone awol since the 60's. IIRC, the GT2's all had doors and look weird without.

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Dork
11/17/15 3:52 p.m.

Here in Massachusetts, without a title, it's a lawn ornament, even with a title, it's pretty much impossible to get it on the road. No insurance company will touch that thing and no inspection station is going to risk their license passing it as a VW Beetle.

Too bad things have tightened up to this point, I just LOVE weird old forgotten fiberglass cars, owned a bunch over the years, still have a Mini-T, but in Massachusetts, they're a no-go.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Reader
11/17/15 4:47 p.m.

Huh. That's very close to where I work. Wonder where it's parked?

lrrs
lrrs Reader
11/20/15 8:09 p.m.
TeamEvil wrote: Here in Massachusetts, without a title, it's a lawn ornament, even with a title, it's pretty much impossible to get it on the road. No insurance company will touch that thing and no inspection station is going to risk their license passing it as a VW Beetle. Too bad things have tightened up to this point, I just LOVE weird old forgotten fiberglass cars, owned a bunch over the years, still have a Mini-T, but in Massachusetts, they're a no-go.

The fix for the title is to find a NH resident to register it, bill of sale (may take a vist to state police for a VIN check) or past registration (prefered and less questions, no visit to State Police) needed, then sell it back to the MA resident. In NH, they do not issue titles for vehicles over 15 years old. If you show them one at the registry, they make you surrender it, even if its in your name, happen with my 88 FZR400 when I moved from MA to NH and would not reissue a new one even after stating I would pay for it. I was told it was to decreases theft rates, I can figure it out, how not having a title would do that. Any way, now when it goes back to MA, there is a reason for no title, and you have the registration from the NH owner to prove ownership. Now that that is said, I did not say it and I was never here as I am sure MA DMV would have some kind of issue with this.

As for the beetle part, my kelmark gt is registered as a beetle, that's what the title states, and that's what the NH registry registered as. I learned my lesson and showed up with a copy of the title in this case so I still have the original.

The NH inspection guy said, that's not a beetle, then he looked under it and said, yep its a beetle. Stickered. Its a beetle with a custom body. Registration stats beetle, vin states beetle, its a beetle as much as I wish it was not.

Insurance, Hagerty will do it, but they wont let you drive it, other than to car shows. I ended up with SafeCo (Liberty Mutual sub) with an agreed on value, and they had no problem with me stating I would be driving it to work and hope to put 6K a year on it, the cost of the Kelmark and 2 other cars was less than progressive wanted for the Kelmark alone.

If you need an engine, ping me in the spring, my dual port, dual carb 1600, good running when the pilot jets are clean, should be out and the subaru ej22 in. Thats the plan anyway.

Steve

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Dork
11/22/15 8:44 a.m.

Good for you ! ! !

Seems like a great time to buy a small "vacation home" in the New Hampshire woods and become a part-time resident for sure. Massachusetts is getting crazier by the day . . .

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dhsp1zDnUfhth363AzWwsWHvf7mf6FhJRTJe3bgwTgdTuRtDSX34xM0HhQft4Lsu