BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
9/5/11 7:29 p.m.

This car should have all the bits that you need to make a rather decent track car and $2012 contender. The spec list is from the PO, unfortunately not backed up by paperwork (but most of the parts are obvious) but here we go:

'93 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD, green/black with sunroof. Odometer currently showing 92300 miles and from the condition of the car I believe that's the genuine mileage.

The good:

• Uprated turbo, I was told it's an FP Green "Spec" turbo - no manufacturer's plates to confirm this. Supposedly good for 400-500hp. It is much bigger than the OEM turbo
  • Tial waste gate
  • Large FMIC with appropriate piping
  • 660cc injectors, currently running @46-ish psi. IIRC it does have an uprated pump as I don't think the stock pump can handle that sort of flow. Unfortunately these injectors aren't big enough to run the car on E85
  • 3" GM MAF instead of the Mitsubishi MAF, with appropriate ECM Tuning connector cable (not MAFT, makes tuning a lot easier)
  • Uprated clutch
  • PO told me the gearbox is uprated and front driveshafts have been upgraded, too. Again, no paperwork to confirm it, but no known issue with gearbox or driveshafts either
  • Aluminum radiator
  • 3" downpipe and exhaust (Buschur Racing, IIRC)
  • Just had a new waterpump, timing belt and knock sensor within the last 300 miles (and yes, I've got paperwork for that)
  • ECMLink V3 ECU (full version, not V3 Lite) with ECMTuning USB cable.

The bad - it's got a couple of electrical issues that need sorting out, plus the aftermarket boost gauge is busted. Essentially, the ECMLink software loses connection to the ECU ever so often, so tuning it is a pain atm. It's just started doing that and I'm not sure what the cause for it is and TBH I can't be bothered to find out - I need something that spends a little more time driving and a little less time being worked on. The car drives OK but does tend to run hot under load in hot weather (common problem with DSMs with large ICs and no ducting). Needs to have a couple of ECU parameters reset as they're currently tweaked for data logging but I should be able to sort that out if I can get the laptop and the ECU to talk to each other long enough.

The parts alone would cost way more than the asking price so it's a bargain for anybody willing to put in the time to track down the gremlins.

Located about 1/2 hour south of Carson City, NV.

Joshua
Joshua HalfDork
9/5/11 7:57 p.m.

Rally car...

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
9/5/11 8:01 p.m.

want.

not a need though. looks killer

corytate
corytate Reader
9/5/11 8:53 p.m.

thats a good deal. best looking 1g dsm I've seen.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
9/5/11 9:20 p.m.

Thanks!

Forgot to mention that it's sitting on KYB AGXs with lowering springs, but it's only been lowered about 1" from stock, so it's actually still usable.

Spinout007
Spinout007 Dork
9/6/11 2:05 a.m.

If I didn't have my heart set on a wrx..... I love these cars.

spoolin
spoolin New Reader
9/6/11 4:43 a.m.

Good deal. Too far.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
9/6/11 8:09 a.m.

That's the feeling I tend to get when I see a lot of cars on here .

Also forgot to mention that the car comes with both volumes of the OEM workshop manual, too.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
9/6/11 8:09 a.m.

sweet jesus, I cant wait to make real money

miatame
miatame HalfDork
9/6/11 12:11 p.m.

Glad this isn't near me. I've had a thirst for a DSM since the 90's.

corytate
corytate Reader
9/6/11 8:42 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: sweet jesus, I cant wait to make real money

I second that motion.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
9/6/11 11:35 p.m.

Well, turns out that if you try tuning in civilised temperatures instead of the desert heat, the laptop happily talks to the ECU. Ooops. So I'm back to dialling in the MAF...

Armitage
Armitage Reader
9/7/11 10:35 a.m.

Bump for a clean DSM and a great deal. Also glad this is far away!

Armitage
Armitage Reader
9/8/11 11:24 a.m.

Let me know if you ever decide to part some of the go-fast bits and sell the car closer to stock. I've had my eye on ECMLink for some time now ::hint hint::

RoadWarrior
RoadWarrior Reader
9/8/11 9:28 p.m.

Man...I wonder how much it'd be to ship to the boston area, I haven't seen a 1g this clean in a long time! Think it'd make a cross country trip alright?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
9/9/11 5:18 p.m.

@RoadWarrior - The one thing that would stop me from driving it cross-country at the moment is the bit about it running hot under load in warm/hot weather.

@Armitage - TBH I don't have the time to part it out, even though that would net me more money. Plus I don't think the wife would appreciate another partially dismantled car on the property.

After talking it over with my wife, we've decided to keep the DSM at least until our CPA has sorted out our tax returns so we know if we've got some spare cash to throw at an another vehicle in the hope that I don't have to (a) borrow money or (b) buy another crap can that's just got different issues.

So I guess I'll be fixing at least some of the issues, starting with the ground to the temp gauge and fabbing up some sort of ducting to the radiator.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
10/5/11 8:34 a.m.

Well, after putting in the ducting between the radiator and the FMIC, plus adding water wetter, the engine now seems to be running at more sensible temperatures going over the hills here. Oh, and the temp gauge is still reading low.

It's definitely for sale now, GRM special pricing applies as I've decided to go get myself a non-project 911 sooner than originally planned.

I've also got the OEM sunshade and wind deflector plus sunroof bag for the car, they come with it and are pretty rare.

ardesign
ardesign
10/7/11 1:19 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

Sent you an email, interested in the car give me a call!

dean1484
dean1484 SuperDork
10/9/11 8:24 a.m.

Why do you have to be at the opposit side of the country. That is my favorite body style of that car.

ardesign
ardesign New Reader
10/10/11 11:35 p.m.

Bueller?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
10/11/11 10:29 a.m.

Yeah, sorry, got your PM. I'm on vacation at the moment and running around a lot so sorry for the delay.

I've got a local buyer (or something that looks like a local buyer ). I'll get back to you in case his wife changes his mind .

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim SuperDork
10/11/11 10:59 p.m.

Sold.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0BcGJC5zL0Pe0YkHHIXrnInBzCRAgJEKGHV2JeqKQ8UZHAdoHKRwRurySx6UflEG