patgizz
patgizz PowerDork
6/3/14 4:48 p.m.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/4499561088.html

why does every other ad on CL say the brakes need bled? don't people know how to pump pump hold?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
6/3/14 5:23 p.m.

You could probably strip that down into a nice truck.

Cone_Junkie
Cone_Junkie SuperDork
6/3/14 6:28 p.m.

Because they don't want to admit that the breaks(sic) actually need a master cylinder and wheel cylinders.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/3/14 6:35 p.m.

A half ton V-6 with a flat bed. Bet that's a real power house..

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
6/3/14 7:36 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

What the 4.3 lacks in power, it makes up in making peak torque at like 1800rpm and being UN-berkeleyING-KILLABLE.

This truck did this around once a month the last 10 years of its life(and was a construction truck before that), and was run WOT several times a day as a commuter, it didn't get oil changes the last 3 years, just top offs(qt every 1000) and a filter now and then. Made it to 280k before being sold as a farm truck  photo Load.jpg

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/3/14 7:56 p.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic:

I knew it would have to be someone...

dj06482
dj06482 Dork
6/3/14 9:01 p.m.

I'm sure all the hard lines have either been replaced, or will need to be within the next month. Ask me how I know :-)

patgizz
patgizz PowerDork
6/3/14 9:55 p.m.

i don't mind my 4.3, but i will be yanking it out for something larger just because bigger is better. i'd probably go look at this truck if i didn't really want another 73-87.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
6/3/14 9:56 p.m.
patgizz wrote: http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/4499561088.html why does every other ad on CL say the brakes need bled? don't people know how to pump pump hold?

They all say the breaks need to be bleed...

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/4/14 7:11 a.m.
patgizz wrote: i don't mind my 4.3, but i will be yanking it out for something larger just because bigger is better. i'd probably go look at this truck if i didn't really want another 73-87.

I'm looking for a 73-87 Crew Cab myself. I'm thinking I'm going to have to go south for it though. BTW, my comment about the capacity of the truck wasn't a slam on the 4.3. My thinking is that one of the main reasons to put a flat bed on a truck is to make it more capable than it was with the standard bed. For that reason you usually see them (aside from the home built beds that are to replace the rusted out original) on 3/4 or 1 ton trucks. Despite Kenny's defense of the 4.3, your not going to haul with that truck what you can with a heavier duty V-8 truck.
That said, the truck in the ad is probably worth the money just for the bed.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
6/4/14 11:39 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

I towed with a 4.3/5sp combo with an s10......they're actually decently capable little berkeleyers.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
6/5/14 12:01 a.m.

I think a lot of people forget it was only quite recently "powerful" trucks became a thing. Ford used the 300 I6 in dump trucks and all sorts of medium duty stuff. Will it maintain speed on a grade?, no, but it will get over that hill screaming away at 4000 rpm.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
6/5/14 4:46 a.m.

I wish my F150 was a 300 6 instead of the 4.6L

btabacchi
btabacchi New Reader
6/5/14 5:02 a.m.
patgizz wrote: i don't mind my 4.3, but i will be yanking it out for something larger just because bigger is better. i'd probably go look at this truck if i didn't really want another 73-87.

ehem... this '83 will be on the market soon.

[URL=http://s290.photobucket.com/user/pylnrcr/media/ec026960-dd6a-4856-a20d-3c34dbe0d909_zpsae42c7b2.jpg.html][/URL]

(wow, only took me 5 edits to get this post right. I gotta go back to bed)

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
6/5/14 1:53 p.m.

In reply to btabacchi:

Is it your truck? Any rust? What engine? How much?

btabacchi
btabacchi New Reader
6/5/14 8:38 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to btabacchi: Is it your truck? Any rust? What engine? How much?

Yes. Little. 350. $3500

We've had it for a few years and used it solely to haul mulch, brush and occasional gravel for a lawn service that we had. We're planning a move in the near future and likely won't have space to keep the truck, plus I have to many things with wheels so it's time to thin the herd.

If you want more info including all the good/bad and additional pics I'll be happy to pass it on. Send me a pm with your email and I'll follow up.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nF4l0gZckrS3EmzApos4TowEZrbody2dEMDf0dNirm9qFRxbvj8YUQojo8FdjaFK