Burrito
Burrito Dork
8/23/17 12:42 p.m.

I bought this for a Vintage Dualsport camping trip that happened the first weekend of August and now it is taking up valuable garage real estate and fun money. It's located at my home in Vancouver, WA 98661.

I had a short build thread/ ownership log on the bike before Photobucket berkeleyed the internet; the pictures are gone, but all the text remains here.

Cliff notes are ~5.4k miles, clean title in my name. Starts after 2-3 good kicks when cold, 1-2 kicks when warm, runs great once hot. Has a spark arrestor, so you can ride it in the woods where it belongs. It will keep up with modern freeway traffic, but you have to lean on it pretty hard to do so, and it probably wouldn't last long like that.

Fastest bike up the Larison Rock Hillclimb course at VD'17; which is not saying much considering it was up against a bunch of Suzuki TS/TC 185s, a TC90, and a 320lb man on a TS400.

The not totally great news / full disclosure. I perforated the clutch cover on a big ol' rock on "Noon Day Wagon Trail", and it crapped the oil out of the transmission.

The reasonably OK news is I patched the hole up in camp and it's leak free, but the hole is plugged with a chunk of the rear tire and some RTV. The center case is fine and received no damage, non-perforated clutch covers go for $25 shipped all day long on eBay.

I prefer local sales because I would like to see it at VD'18 which will be in the Umpqua National Forest sometime around late July 2018.

$1250 for GRM dorks. Or less if you're super cool, bring beer, and speak Fiat.

Cooter
Cooter HalfDork
8/23/17 5:13 p.m.

My very-firstest ever motorcycle was a 1974 MT125 that I bought for $400 when I was 13.

I'm larger than I was then, but this is comfortably far enough away to keep me safe from adding to my stable.

metalman
metalman Reader
8/23/17 6:06 p.m.

Cool bike.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
8/23/17 6:26 p.m.

If I did a fly and drive, I would put almost as many miles on it on the return as are on it now.

Burrito
Burrito Dork
8/23/17 6:36 p.m.
spitfirebill wrote: If I did a fly and drive, I would put almost as many miles on it on the return as are on it now.

Sounds like a great plan to me!

scs
scs New Reader
8/26/17 1:50 a.m.

Man, those pix bring back memories when I was actually riding with bikes that old, me on my 1970 Yamaha DT1 that a military transport pilot smuggled back, in the crate, from Japan.

Justjim75
Justjim75 New Reader
8/26/17 9:56 p.m.

So are there any trade possibilities? I'd LOVE this bike!

nymalo
nymalo New Reader
8/27/17 7:46 p.m.

My first new motorcycle was a 1976 MR 250. I remember it was $795. I had to ad a few things to it and had it road legal. Once you got the suspension sorted, they were great bikes.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ipma8g7uGOW1iPnJp1lY9xQUoxNl3Y8a9nQKhSSfL298QLJvTWKtEs3CYrg2NpSm