2 3 4 5 6
TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
9/14/16 6:18 a.m.
pres589 wrote: I think he means 470 ohm, 1/2 watt, as a 470w 1/2 ohm resister would be massive. Like a battery tester. Ref: http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1408951-98-ls1-wiring-harness-alternator-exciter-wire-what-should-voltage.html Here's a supply for such resistors; https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-470-ohm-1-2w-5-carbon-film-resistor-pk-5?variant=5717273285

I knew what he meant. I'm an Electrical Engineer. In fact my mind corrected it for me while I was reading it. I didn't even notice it was 470w.

Thanks for the forum link. I was really struggling to find that the other day.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
9/14/16 6:22 a.m.

I may actually have the resistor at home from my schooling.

Thanks for the help guys.

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
9/14/16 9:54 a.m.

Sorry, i was tired all day yesterday. I'll text a pic to your dad since i dont have your #

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
9/14/16 4:00 p.m.
patgizz wrote: Sorry, i was tired all day yesterday. I'll text a pic to your dad since i dont have your #

Forwarded. Thanks.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
9/14/16 8:48 p.m.

We found our something unfortunate today. The rear wheels will not be usable because they are bent. Guess that's why they were so cheap.

Throttle linkage is 80% done. Just need to finish throttle return spring.

Finished hood supports and pins.

Run_Away
Run_Away HalfDork
9/14/16 9:57 p.m.

This car looks great!

Have you got another set of rear wheels you can use?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
9/15/16 6:08 a.m.

In reply to Run_Away:

Thanks!

Yes we do. We just need to swap over the slicks.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
9/15/16 3:45 p.m.

Looks great, definitely like the direction you have taken with the car.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
9/15/16 8:36 p.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman:

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
9/15/16 8:46 p.m.

You know what the best part about a black intake. If you scratch it, all you need is a permanent marker and no one will ever know.

So it turned out I had the resistor.

Little bit of solder

Some shrink sleeve

And some zip ties, and just like that, the wiring is done!

When all else fails, chances are we have a pair of Aluminum slots that will fit. Excuse the mess. We've been busy.

We made a little filling resevoir to fill the engine with oil through the oil passages. We've had trouble with priming the engines in the past, since you have to rotate the engine to drive the oil pump. We're hoping this will remedy any short comings.

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
9/15/16 8:56 p.m.

Glad I could help with the alternator. Easier to do it now than figure it out later

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
9/15/16 9:21 p.m.

In reply to patgizz:

Yeah thanks a lot. My original plan was to fire the car up see if it had 14 volts while running, and then hook up the wire if it didn't. It's a good thing you told me. I'm not sure how it would behave without the resistor, but it's good to know it will work. Thanks.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
9/17/16 8:09 p.m.

So we started the car today. It runs great! I struggled with the alternator wiring a little bit, but eventually figured out the B terminal was a different terminal than I thought it was. (I could not find any markings)

Now that I have given you that preview let's start where we left off.

Mom cleaned, and I painted and installed the bulkhead.

Even though they don't count towards the budget, we're still cheap, so we cut the caps off the lug nuts we had, so we could fit them on the longer studs.

I was having trouble with the shifter, so I replaced a part of it with parts from another shifter.

Now without further ado, if you haven't seen already, it's alive!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/xRjOYnEmHck

Then since we had it running, we did a burnout in the driveway.

It got a little sideways on me. This is my first time in a car with this much horsepower, so I ended up in the grass a little.

The even more funny part is as soon as I finished doing the burnout a cop drove by, slowed down, cheked out the car, smiled, waved, and then kept on driving. My dad and I got a big kick out of it.

While the car was outside I got a shot of it.

After our fun in the driveway, we got back to work installing a linelock. Somebody was cleaning out their shop, and gave us this line lock solenoid, because they were tired of looking at it. As I was cleaning it with a wirebrush, I noticed some steciling. Turns out it was made by hurst. You can just barely see it in the picture. It's pretty cool.

At this point the car is basically done. All that is really left is getting the autocross tires ready. I'm excited!

Stampie
Stampie HalfDork
9/17/16 8:19 p.m.

This one is up on my list of cars I'm looking forward to seeing in 12 days.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
9/17/16 8:25 p.m.
Stampie wrote: This one is up on my list of cars I'm looking forward to seeing in 12 days.

Thanks! I think you will enjoy checking it out.

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
9/17/16 10:29 p.m.

I'm looking forward to doing my "driveway test" tomorrow. I have trees on one side and cars on the other so I can't get sideways. The marks i saw in the driveway a couple weeks ago lead me to believe you guys test all your cars in that spot

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
9/18/16 5:28 a.m.

patgizz wrote:

I'm looking forward to doing my "driveway test" tomorrow. I have trees on one side and cars on the other so I can't get sideways. The marks i saw in the driveway a couple weeks ago lead me to believe you guys test all your cars in that spot

Only untagged cars. Tagged cars get their blasts down by the dump. Ask Les Wildpinto and Dave SS

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
9/18/16 6:10 p.m.

Not that I expect you'll ever part with it but that may be one of the few cars I've sold which I'd wish to exercise my "first right of refusal" option on if you do decide to sell :)

Lookin good, almost there! Can't wait to hear the stories from the challenge.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
9/19/16 12:03 a.m.

Calvin... Great build...Can't wait to see it live! , . You and your dad really are in touch with the swap meet scene. I have a challenge budget question. A friend who owns a junkyard has donate a used set of headers to my build among other small parts. I've been able to find ebay auctions for valuing everything except the headers. Any idea what a decent condition set of used Hedman bottom line street set goes for? New they retail for about $170 from Summit. These were in good shape but I did have to media blast them and paint. My buddy says they're not worth much but I'd rather get a realistic FMV valuation. For conventional 350 SBC. Not LSX....old school

Thanks in advance

Jim

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
9/19/16 4:30 a.m.
Ovid_and_Flem wrote: Calvin... Great build...Can't wait to see it live! , . You and your dad really are in touch with the swap meet scene. I have a challenge budget question. A friend who owns a junkyard has donate a used set of headers to my build among other small parts. I've been able to find ebay auctions for valuing everything except the headers. Any idea what a decent condition set of used Hedman bottom line street set goes for? New they retail for about $170 from Summit. These were in good shape but I did have to media blast them and paint. My buddy says they're not worth much but I'd rather get a realistic FMV valuation. For conventional 350 SBC. Not LSX....old school Thanks in advance Jim

We typically have $5 to $20 for used sets headers. And we have a pile of them.
If it's a good set that is chassis specific we would pay more, but they would have equal length, large primary or merge collectors. Recently we picked up 7 headers (2 sets and 3 single) and will FMV them at $20 a set even though they were $0.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
9/19/16 7:21 a.m.

I just realized that this Baker went from barn storage to burnouts in 27 days. Fuzzy, you did an awesome job!!!

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
9/19/16 8:24 a.m.

Thank you for your quick reply Andrew. Aside from you and your son being very talented builders I know why you all are so successful. You must never sleep! LOL

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
9/19/16 11:35 a.m.
Ovid_and_Flem wrote: Thank you for your quick reply Andrew. Aside from you and your son being very talented builders I know why you all are so successful. You must never sleep! LOL

If we had 5 minutes, we spent 5 minutes. If we had and hour, we spent an hour.

You'd be surprise how much you can get done that way.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid Reader
9/19/16 11:35 a.m.
wheels777 wrote: I just realized that this Baker went from barn storage to burnouts in 27 days. Fuzzy, you did an awesome job!!!

Thanks Dad!

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
9/19/16 3:57 p.m.

This car rules so hard... wish I could be at the Challenge this year to see it boil the hides in person. Good luck!

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q7QgXutQzSQgMl6NOBDEiRZcTpxRPxb4zzs6yNZ0RILRSbAzCMYkEwl0BXV0TdE5