1 2
DanielN
DanielN New Reader
8/14/24 3:09 a.m.

Tonights activity has been a bit of a tough one. I'm trying to get all the brake lines, fuel lines, exhaust and any and all remaining tabs and mounts that need to go on the subframe in the model so the final parts order can go out. This also means I need to at a minimum sketch in routing for most parts. The exhaust is the tough one. I've tried over the axle and several configurations of under the axle and I just can't find anything I'm super happy with. Snaking through the triangle on the back of the subframe is really tight to fit a 2.5" tube and going though the control arms is a no-go with suspension articulation and the axle. Any ideas or tricks to make this work?

TurboFource
TurboFource Dork
8/14/24 6:26 a.m.

Side exit?

Nukem
Nukem Reader
8/14/24 8:45 a.m.

I'll never vote against side exit.

DanielN
DanielN New Reader
8/26/24 11:25 a.m.

I found some time this weekend to start working on the mounts and brackets for control arms. The laser cut parts arrived from sendcutsend a while ago and are very high quality. I messed a few up already and did not cut any extras so I will need another order to go out. I don't have a large sheet metal brake so I used the press and some gradually improving tooling. I ended up with some aluminum angle section and a few different press tools. It is quite time consuming but so far quite effective. 

The bolts arrived as well and fit the spherical bearings very well. The only problem found at the moment is the brake caliper bracket bolt head is too large for the counterbore provided and will need to be replaced with a SHCS or flanged 12 pt. The parts bin is getting larger and larger!

Lots of planning has been going on as well. According to my project plan I have 22.5 hr of design, ordering etc. and 62.5 hours of making things to go on the rear suspension and drivetrain. I have it planned out to complete end of September, but with some family visits and other life things that's probably not a reasonable goal. I will likely readjust that schedule for ending of October. Here is a slightly out of date, and quite behind schedule screenshot of that plan as it sits for the next few weeks. The whole plan is currently over 60 tasks for just this rear end alone. I'm trying not to think too much about the whole car.

MNIMWIUTBAS
MNIMWIUTBAS New Reader
8/27/24 5:05 p.m.

Regarding the exhaust, would an some oval sections through the subframe give you enough space?

However, snaking it through the subframe will make building/install/removal more difficult and I don't know if I would like the proximity to the axle boots.

If you're comfortable with a little sheet metal work I think you could run it completely over the subframe by cutting in to the front corner of the space under the boot cover.

DanielN
DanielN New Reader
8/27/24 6:51 p.m.

In reply to MNIMWIUTBAS :

I'll give routing it entirely over the top of the subframe a try in CAD and see how much it would need to intrude to make the turn. It's not a bad idea at all. No matter what it will have to be assembled in multiple sections, where exactly isn't super critical right now as I'm mostly trying to get hanger locations. The clearance everywhere is fairly hard to visualize though even when you can orbit around in the model, the size of the car becomes really apparent when a 2.5 inch exhaust looks like a 3+ inch exhaust. I've also thought about going out to the drivers side of the subframe between the control arms in a similar routing to what you have there, still clipping through the spare tire well.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wDBEcLtFJueXJzCFlshnlioHv18BRE6iSXLcG8hIF7lXOlanxU7d2Lrais6k3Wpx