java230
java230 PowerDork
6/13/24 10:06 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Valve covers are pretty dry..... I did snug all the bolts up on them. It really looks like its coming out from under the head right there......

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/13/24 8:19 p.m.

Do those bolt by the spark plugs look like head bolts? 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/13/24 9:28 p.m.

Yeah....

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/13/24 10:23 p.m.

I'll Give them a sung. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
6/14/24 7:23 a.m.

Transmission = make sure you have a vacuum signal to the modulator. 

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/14/24 9:24 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Modulator?

I dont know... It has a mechanical linkage for the kick down. I think thats it? And I have been googling on how ot adjust it for hours..... But fluid loss is the main issue at the moment.

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/14/24 10:34 a.m.
java230 said:

In reply to ddavidv :

Modulator?

I dont know... It has a mechanical linkage for the kick down. I think thats it? And I have been googling on how ot adjust it for hours..... But fluid loss is the main issue at the moment.

If I recall correctly, the trans is essentially a Dodge torque flight 727 in a different (IH) case.

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/14/24 11:49 a.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Correct, I think its just a standard 727 from my understanding. I could be wrong on the case though.

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/16/24 11:10 p.m.

Is there and trans stop leak snake oil I should try? 

Headbolts felt real tight.... 

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/17/24 12:45 p.m.

Head gasket leak? I Text'ed the PO and I guess he did have them off.....

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/17/24 3:24 p.m.

Good news, I got an appointment and a new windshield gasket.

Bad news, I melted through an airline not having any exhaust..... 

Wish me luck 

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/17/24 4:38 p.m.

Drives pretty decent for what it is.

Not having an exhaust melted the driver's front Airline.

Pretty sure the alternator does not work. Unplugging the Exciter wire and plugging it back in didn't change anything.

Windshield Place sent my windshield back..... 

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/17/24 8:50 p.m.

Alternator is working again! I'm an idiot. (I think.) 

Oil leak, found. Oil filter housing to block connection. It's good and tight. But leaking. A good drip at idle. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/17/24 9:38 p.m.

I remember when you were just starting the sanding on that and thinking "Better him than me".

Not thinking that anymore! yes

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/17/24 9:47 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

Man I appreciate all your help. 

Just for fun. Remember this? 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/17/24 10:20 p.m.

In reply to java230 :

Why yes I do. The sheer surface area of that truck would be daunting even knowing how to go about the job. For a first-time effort, that was like climbing Everest to get a feel for rock-climbing.

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/17/24 10:22 p.m.

I'm also winning tonight. Went thu the folder of random gaskets that came with the truck. Oil filter housing is one of them!! 

Dusterbd13-michael
6/17/24 10:32 p.m.
java230 said:

Drives pretty decent for what it is.

Not having an exhaust melted the driver's front Airline.

Pretty sure the alternator does not work. Unplugging the Exciter wire and plugging it back in didn't change anything.

Windshield Place sent my windshield back..... 

This thing is sooooo badass. You should be proud. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
6/17/24 10:43 p.m.

Heck yeah! The short list of big projects can be daunting but the long list of little projects to refine the build is pretty refreshing. 

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/17/24 10:46 p.m.

Thank you. I'm looking forward to your turbo miata too! 

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/17/24 10:49 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

Oh the list of little things is very very long. But I'm just trying to get it driveable. 

I have heat shield on order for the air lines in the engine bay and wife has requested a silent exhaust..... And said I should just pay to have it done. They want 2k 😳

I need to figure out alignment. It changes a lot with range of motion. It really wasn't too bad on bump stops in the front today. There is a lot of wander in the front still tho. 

brad131a4 (Forum Supporter)
brad131a4 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
6/17/24 11:44 p.m.

Summit universal kit would be a good start. Only a couple hundred bucks if that. Plus a couple nice mufflers will keep it fairly quiet. Could ad some electric cut outs for when the wife isn't with you for the rumble. Wish I had some extra time I'd offer to help put it together. Done a couple on various vehicles for the fun of it.

Still a little disappointed it wasn't out in the driveway when I drove by last Thursday.  

java230
java230 PowerDork
6/18/24 8:37 a.m.

In reply to brad131a4 (Forum Supporter) :

I probably have 90% of what I need.... It's a little big, 2.5" I think, but I have a bunch of bends etc. It's just a packaging issue. 

That collector flange is touching the crossmember. Then it needs to go up and back, around the starter.... Then it's aimed straight at the bellhousing.

A little easier on this side. 

Then get around all this and the bellhousing. And nothing can be lower than the engine crossmember. 

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
6/18/24 8:46 a.m.

IH made some rear dump manifolds for certain applications.  I wonder if you could source one of those to help with packaging on that one side.

Dusterbd13-michael
6/18/24 8:59 a.m.

In your boots I would order an Amazon two and a quarter dual exhaust mandrel Bend and tubing kit. I would use type radius 45 on the one side and use the two and a quarter to make a Y pipe that merges just behind the bell housing. I would then run a 2.5-inch exhaust from the y-pipe to the back bumper with resonators and as big a muffler or two as I could cram under there. I'd also put an electric cutout at the Y plate for hooligan fun

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fahRlZwEfrURntMee5hHBpa4DN7Ir9cMYoLpaWwJAsCOOc3Wq6eHfKyz3dez22ai