1 2 3
akylekoz
akylekoz SuperDork
11/7/19 6:16 p.m.

My neighbor at the cabin has a Rock-on.  I spied it the first time up there he was impressed that I knew what it was.

Maybe just keep a nice old Schwinn in the back.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
11/8/19 12:10 a.m.

Schwinn? Like, with pedals?

Those things will break your neck!

Should have kept the Hodaka, probably LIGHTER than a Schwinn!

Going to put the most powerful CB radio I can find in this rig.

Paying the fine for a couple extra watts may be better than being stranded miles from civilization.  wink

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
11/14/19 12:59 a.m.

So, another day another $400 in parts.  wink

This should be the end of large purchases, until I order a new canvas top, and modern tires.

For now I've put the old ratty canvas on to keep the sun/rain/snow mostly out of the interior.

Current project is an ignition change to unshielded distributor and wires with an MSD thrown in for luck.

The fun part is figuring out how to do it on a 24V system.

So far I think I've got it with the possible exception or wiring a relay to turn of the 12V from a 24V ignition switch. indecision

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
11/15/19 10:06 p.m.

24v-12v relay turns out to be easy.

Parts from England arrived today.

Still waiting on the 24v - 12v power drop unit, which is supposed to be coming from CA., less than six hundred miles away.

Should have just spent a few dollars more and avoided feeBay resellers. no

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
12/1/19 12:25 a.m.

So today my Chevy truck decided to leave me stranded with a dead starter.

Despite all the Lucas jokes, I've been stranded FAR more often by Delco-Remy, even with owning many more English cars than American.

This made getting the Rover running a priority as I have a rule about always having at least two running vehicles, and the forklift does not count.

Made up an aluminum plate to hold the 24v/12v power supply and conventional coil.

Also installed a breaker-less ignition in the new distributor.

Had to extend a couple of wires from the distributor but I now have a nice hot spark and no points.*

Something odd is happening with the ignition switch, so I now suspect that it is the source of my original issue.

Not happy to find it sometimes engaging the starter when it is only switched On!

Will be running an extra on/off switch to ensure the starter does not engage while the engine is running.

Just replaced the flywheel and ring gear, do NOT want to damage them or the way too heavy for cheap shipping special 24V starter. no

Anyhow, I should just need to complete installing the new spark-plug wires and set timing to have it on the road again at last.

Sign of laziness in my older age? wink

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
12/1/19 3:58 p.m.

I think relays are the secret to making Lucas components survive. That ignition switch, for example, may be carrying the complete electrical load of the vehicle. It does in some of the other Rovers of the period. Throw in a couple of relays to make sure the headlight and ignition loads are carried elsewhere and you're in a better place.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
12/2/19 11:09 p.m.

It's ALIVE!

Runs well once warmed up.

If the dash lights worked I could have driven it home tonight.

Hoping the tires will return to being round once I get it down the road a few miles, but they are old Goodyear military Bar-Grip's so that's only a maybe.

I have a NOS set if necessary but would prefer modern tires for daily use. 

Nearly ready to be a daily driver, need to fix the fuel gauge, filler hose, and dash lights.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
12/5/19 1:32 p.m.

Still a little tuning to do but I am now driving it.

Not all that different than my old Series 1.5, 2, and 3's.

V8 is a low compression version and is hauling good bit of weight so is not really fast.

Should get better once the tools to adjust the carbs arrive.

Pics once I relocate my camera.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
12/5/19 1:43 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I think relays are the secret to making Lucas components survive. That ignition switch, for example, may be carrying the complete electrical load of the vehicle. It does in some of the other Rovers of the period. Throw in a couple of relays to make sure the headlight and ignition loads are carried elsewhere and you're in a better place.

100% agree based on what I have seen. The most egregious example I saw (not firsthand) is some Lotus where the 12v went through the chrome plating on the plastic turn signal stalk.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
12/5/19 6:40 p.m.

Yup, already let some smoke out!

Lost low-beam at the headlamp/turn signal switch.

Hope it is the same as GT6, about to go look.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
12/6/19 10:14 p.m.

Today I put the Smoke back in! yes

For all that folk curse Lucas they do have their advantages.

The design of the column switch is somewhat crude, but also simple and serviceable.

The "Smoke" I saw was just WD-40 burning off the contacts.

Removed the switch, cleaned and adjusted the contacts, now have my lights working properly again at $0.00 expense.

A replacement would have been about $80.00 with shipping.

A "Modern" switch could easily be three times that! no

Now to figure out the odd brake issue.

Seems one reservoir is sending fluid to the other which then spurts fluid out the vent.

Since front and rear are separate circuits with separate reservoirs the only common point is the new MC.

Never saw anything like this before, thinking my new MC is defective. sad

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
12/23/19 12:09 a.m.

An update.

MC is fine, the "Shuttle valve" was bad so allowed fluid to transfer from one brake reservoir to the other, which then overflowed.

Replaced it and no more problem. Still need to bleed the brakes again.

Today I replaced the forty year old fuel fill hose as it was rotted at the bottom end. No more Haz-Mat at every fill-up!

This entailed drilling out body rivets for access to the upper end of the hose, then re-riveting.

101 Bodies are factory assembled by riveting, and yes, some folk do keep count of the number in use!

Also have dash lights again, so the last somewhat major item is getting the fuel gauge working.

I have a little over a hundred miles on it now.

It's a true "Exotic Car", actually more exotic than most Ferrari's as there are only about twenty in the U.S.

Like a lot of exotics it's a genuine novelty to drive and gets stares wherever it goes.

Fun in it's unique way, but not really the car you want to drive every day for every mundane purpose.

I think I will enjoy it more in the summer as a roadster with no canvas.

Need to find a buddy to accompany me for off-road adventures.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
2/8/20 2:50 a.m.

Drove the Rover with at least a ton of brass castings in the back.

Ride got REALLY nice, the rattles and squeaks went away too.

Top speed lost 15 KPH, need to get the carbs adjusted fully.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
4/6/20 9:41 p.m.

Since so many of us are cooped up in isolation I thought I would share this.

Rover 101 action.

On the first day of the Kung Flu lock-down I went for a short drive in the hills behind my house.

Mostly looking for "Free" rock to use for some landscaping and maybe an outdoor hearth/barbecue.

Need to confirm that the nice red color is true, not just a patina from weathering.

Here I am on the way back down.

This was a short jaunt to get some familiarity with the 101 on dirt. Learned the importance of the Diff Lock.

Also confirmed that a high forward driving position tends to magnify every movement, a bit intimidating but I will get used to it.

The view West, on a clear day I can see the Sierra range and the pass leading to Lake Tahoe.

Yesterday I discovered a nearby source of Copper rich ore/rock.

Since this town is famous for it's copper mines I need some for my yard.

So the next trek will be to gather up a bit of that, SOON!

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
5/2/20 3:13 a.m.

I now control the weather!

All I have to do is think of removing the canvas for summer roadster fun and rain clouds appear.

When I do take it off it will probably snow.

In No. Nevada it CAN snow ANY time of the year, about 1994 in Carson City we had snow on the 4th of JULY!

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
6/15/20 10:34 p.m.

Another parts order arrived.

Full set of all rubber hoses and a couple of electrical items.

Now to pull the canvas so I may see what I am doing and get it done.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA Reader
8/5/20 11:08 p.m.

Full replacement of ALL rubber hoses is not fun. Getting closer.

Typical of military vehicles access to many components is cramped and awkward. That has always seemed strange to me as I would expect ease of repair to be one of the design criteria. Seems to me that repair under fire might be a real possibility. Apparently the worlds militaries all share the same concept of vehicles and low ranking personnel being disposable.

RichardSIA
RichardSIA HalfDork
11/8/20 10:05 a.m.

First snow of the year is already more than we got all of last year. So looks like a wet winter ahead. Guess that means it is time to put the canvas hood back on!

RichardSIA
RichardSIA HalfDork
11/9/20 7:45 p.m.

In reply to RichardSIA :

Old canvas "Tilt" was painted with some sort of latex making it overly heavy. Also has bad windows, looks like trash, gets stiff when cold, and leaks.

So for just under $700.00 my new "Full tilt" will be here on Friday. This will drastically improve the look and function of the Rover. I was going to buy a short tilt but that vendor just could not be bothered to complete the sale.

Pics when the new Tilt is on.

orthoxstice
orthoxstice New Reader
11/9/20 8:05 p.m.

Sorry if I missed this, it'll be the same shape as what's on there just new condition? 

RichardSIA
RichardSIA HalfDork
11/10/20 1:43 a.m.

Yes, new canvas in Khaki green. I need to find a black dye that will not damage the fabric in order to restore the "Camo" look.

Made By Exmoor Trim and fits well. Much nicer than the old rag I had last year.

1 2 3
Birthdays
Our Preferred Partners
ZzL3QrQpdcN1MemxtSezNqMmnzVmKuVLghXfeBNdrrtKne6PrQSUlhyjmsxPbcpV