1 2 3
surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
8/29/23 9:23 a.m.

So about 2 months ago after talking with Calvin and discussing hopes of wanting to build an SS clone from a 4200, I started looking for an 08/09 trailblazer in 4x4 configuration. To ensure to calvin i was serious about this build, prior to even buying a vehicle, i purchased the turbo manifold from Artec. This manifold is not cheap and ran just shy of 1800 from Artec directly. Well about a week later, i picked up a 4x4 2009 trailblazer LT. it has 85k miles and was a 2 owner vehicle. a bunch of surface rust and corrosion underneath but nothing that cant be fixed. overall in excellent condition. 

Fast forward a few weeks and we had mostly amassed a majority of the parts we needed to fully execute a boosted version of this trailblazer and create what i believe to be an excellent sleeper. The goal? 500-600whp out of a non SS trailblazer for a fraction of the cost. Since starting this build we have installed 1500cc Snake eater injectors. this required removing the manifold and is a complete pain in the trailblazer. Also installed a moroso accumulator/accusump. this is required due to the front sump oil pan. 

Almost everything we have done was made possible because of the Nelsons efforts and leg work on this platform. I would advise anyone who is interested in building one to visit the 4200 wiki which you can find HERE

Tuning will be accomplished by using hp tuners and using the factory ecu. If you were wondering why i wanted an 08/09 specifically, it is because the ecu is essentially a gen 4 ls ecu that runs 6 cylinders. they run a map sensor and use speed density so it is very easy to use. Not to mention you have access to pretty much everything unlike earlier model years. There will also be no intercooler as we are running e85 full time and pairing it with methanol injection. i may go to an air to water set up in the future but for speed of completion, this was the path of least resistance to get the project done as quick as possible. 

Below are a few videos i made along the way. feel free to watch at your leisure if you are interested. Also below are a few pics for those not interested in watching the videos. Hoping to have the thing running inside the next week and maybe dyno tuned shortly after. 

this is when we brought it home.

This is from saturdays fabrication day. 

Intro to the Build - https://youtu.be/ujF-Q7oFJK0?si=MmA612X05m8GAbUy

Accusump/Accumulator install - https://youtu.be/AF8juG4BOYs?si=r33EVKJFG_gqpUq2

Most recent, fabrication video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufFofbEXq7Y

AxeHealey
AxeHealey SuperDork
8/29/23 9:46 a.m.

I don't think I've ever met you but I like you. You build cool stuff man, carry on!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/29/23 9:55 a.m.
surfshibby07 said:

If you were wondering why i wanted an 08/09 specifically, it is because the ecu is essentially a gen 4 ls ecu that runs 6 cylinders. they run a map sensor and use speed density so it is very easy to use. Not to mention you have access to pretty much everything unlike earlier model years.

Really?

Huh.  I have thoughts.

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
8/29/23 10:39 a.m.

Been following along in the 4200 FB group and on youtube.  Really looking forward to seeing your endeavors in the tuning side of things that's been the unknown void on these engines for quite awhile it seems.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
8/29/23 10:46 a.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

Awesome! Well i dont want to speak too soon but my buddy matt is currently writing the start up tune. He has already said that the ecu is practically identical to an LS. at least these 08/09 trailblazer ecu's are. and the dyno tune should be done by Jeremy Formato down at fasterproms. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
8/29/23 10:50 a.m.

It frightens me to know HOW close I live to these shenanigans and how feasible it would be for me to replicate this. You need to quit building stuff I like. Especially considering this follows a theoretical build I've had in my head since forever, basically a TBSS or otherwise, but an isuzu Ascender- since you could actually get a v8 in those at one point, but a turbo 6 sounds more fun. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
8/29/23 2:24 p.m.

In reply to surfshibby07 :

Oh you should be in very good hands for tuning then.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
9/5/23 11:50 p.m.
dannyp84
dannyp84 HalfDork
9/6/23 10:39 a.m.

I read "Typhoon" in the thread title and was hoping for something of this era:

but anything with a turbo 4200 is cool, so carry on!

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
9/11/23 5:09 p.m.
wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
9/11/23 5:26 p.m.

Subscribed.

I think imma need your help to turbolate my rx8.  You seem to do this stuff crazy fast with lots of knowledge!

Awesome!

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
9/11/23 7:26 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

I just brute force my way and have friends far more knowledgeable than myself willing to help along the way. Without them id be nowhere. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau UberDork
9/12/23 8:39 a.m.

Any pics or is this a video thing only

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
10/2/23 1:26 p.m.

I can upload pics. just a pain to do from my phone. but in the meantime here is another video! lol

Jeremy Formato of Fasterproms took the opportunity to learn the platform and he killed it! the results are great and we have a certified sleeper. 

https://youtu.be/O4UvVmIuARg?si=eWyn1H3U7SX-_JIw

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
10/2/23 3:15 p.m.

Hooligans out ripping down streets after midnight.

Did yall figure out why it was hesitating so much when first accelerating?

This thing is cool!

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/2/23 3:31 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:

Hooligans out ripping down streets in Mexico.

fixed

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
10/2/23 3:34 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

The injector data was off. he wound up getting the data from holley and it was much more accurate. it fixed like 90% of our fueling issues. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
10/3/23 9:38 a.m.

*Turbo noises intensify*

It sounds really cool. I want one in a RWD Volvo now.

camopaint0707
camopaint0707 Reader
10/3/23 9:53 a.m.

well this is a fun build to see

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
10/3/23 10:02 a.m.

In reply to Mndsm :

If you look through Calvin Nelson's Youtube videos, you can find one where he says he can make much more power with the turbo 4200 than he can with a turbo 5.3 LS, both at 19 psi.

onemanarmy
onemanarmy Reader
10/3/23 10:04 a.m.

will be following

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
10/3/23 11:08 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

In reply to Mndsm :

If you look through Calvin Nelson's Youtube videos, you can find one where he says he can make much more power with the turbo 4200 than he can with a turbo 5.3 LS, both at 19 psi.

Interesting.  I'd like to see that backed up with some data & numbers.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
10/3/23 1:04 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

He compares the 4200 in his video to his dads sunbird, both on the same psi, both on the same fuel, the 4200 makes more power with much less displacement. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
10/3/23 1:09 p.m.

In reply to Indy - Guy :

Calvin has the dyno numbers. 100 whp more for the 4200.

surfshibby07
surfshibby07 HalfDork
10/6/23 11:08 a.m.

Here is the engine bay as it currently sits. No intercooler and meth only. Air to water intercooler setup will be finished in the next month or so. I need to start working on the solfire grassroots car. 

Also getting ready to lower it and throw some ss wheels on! All that will be left is an ss front bumper and the look is complete...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rheXwGEIn2N0zPNI5d1sHJ7v1wbwKvkZVeL8BaVXqvwJXcDEGNxnvP8ytKjuf2yw