Crazier
Crazier Reader
12/15/20 2:01 p.m.

Running, driving, 3800 swapped Fiero originally listed at $4200.

I watched it for weeks as the price fell.

Finally he was down to $2500 and I decided to go look.

Bad trunk rust. Missing headliner, leaking LIM gasket, pinched coolant tube, radio only works when the headlights are on, wiring looks a tangled mess, hole cut in rear firewall "to hear the whine better"

I passed on it.

But the guy is cool and has a lot of project cars so I hang out for a while.

Eventually we work out a trade.

Crazier
Crazier Reader
12/15/20 2:13 p.m.

Im not sure who got the best deal on the trade.

The top swap kits retail for almosr $2000.

These two make 6 total that have gone through my hands.

The most I've sold one for is $900 and the least was $500

Id have gotten at least 1500 and more likely 2k had I sold the parts.

But im only into them and their associated parts for $1050

Sacrifice deal #1 was a 1998 gtp with a cowl hood

This car was just loaded with aftermarket parts.

I mean just stupid.

Within 24 hours I sold the hood for $500 plus some parts in Trade. I sold off about another $800 in parts and still have the carcass and a few hundred in aftermarket parts sitting in the drive.

As well as a gasket kit, and new set of springs locks seals ect that will end up on the fiero.

Crazier
Crazier Reader
12/15/20 2:28 p.m.

Deal #2

There was also a voltage booster, and a few other misc parts.

I sold the headers for $350 

This would be my third best deal ever.  Preceded only by the cowl hooded GTP in the above post and an accel super ram intake that I bought for $800 on a thursday and sold for $1900 on a friday.

But I digress. As far as challenge math ive spent $1050 and rexouped all of it and still have a fair bit available for trades.

Crazier
Crazier Reader
12/15/20 10:27 p.m.

Deal #3

1.9 ratio rockers, LS style springs a modular pulley set up with 3.4 pulley and a set of plugs.

Negotiated a lower price when I got there.

I only really wanted the 1.9 ratio rockers as I have all the rest already from the parts car, and I can't recoup anymore... But I couldn't resist. Its all brand new parts still in the bags.

Crazier
Crazier Reader
12/15/20 10:43 p.m.

Deal #4

He is paying for the combined shipping of the mufflers and the gtp struts.

I have a recipt with the car showing they are kyb struts, but none for the springs.

He only wants the lowering springs if they are ZZP brand. So once I pull them, if they are in fact ZZP, then he id also going to get me a set of coil over tubes and springs for the rear struts.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
12/16/20 7:39 a.m.

Nice score - that thing ought to haul when it's sorted out!

maschinenbau (I live here)
maschinenbau (I live here) SuperDork
12/16/20 8:38 a.m.

I am pretty sure I looked at buying this exact same Fiero a few years ago when I lived in Indiana. Do you know the history of it? 

JeremyJ
JeremyJ Reader
12/16/20 11:07 a.m.

I drove my mother in law's Grand Prix with the 3800. I was impressed by the acceleration, even in that bigger car. I'm sure a Fiero with that power will be fun to drive. This looks like a cool project. 

Crazier
Crazier Reader
12/16/20 8:01 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau (I live here) :

Only the last two idiots who owned it...

I do have copies of the ebay info from when they bought it... It went stupid cheap back then.

Crazier
Crazier Reader
12/16/20 8:05 p.m.

They notched the hood supports on this instead of moving the alternator....

The panel glue near the notched section was not even pretending to hold.

A semi blew by my at about 80 when I was towing it this morning. The passenger side buckled instantly and before within 30 seconds the latch let loose and the whole thing flew up and shattered into 30 peices.

Crazier
Crazier Reader
12/16/20 8:07 p.m.

Managed to get the intake swapped.

Tomorow is springs and rockers.

Hopefully have it all back together on friday.

V6Buicks
V6Buicks New Reader
12/17/20 9:07 a.m.
Crazier said:

hole cut in rear firewall "to hear the whine better"

Oh man!  I cringed hard when I read that.  Good luck with the project!  I wish I could ride in one of these with the 3800 swap so that I knew what it was all about.  I'll bet its a rocket.

Crazier
Crazier Reader
12/17/20 10:31 a.m.

In reply to V6Buicks :

He was all proud of the "mod."

The supercharger is already about a foot from your head... It is plenty loud.

Hole has to be plugged for safety reasons anyway, but on anything more than a 5 minute drive the noise is down right obnoxious.

Besides, I'm betting removal of the sound deadening will provide more whine than is comfortable 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
12/17/20 10:43 a.m.

^Guys like him are why they pump fake engine sounds through the speakers on new cars.

Crazier
Crazier Reader
12/18/20 10:37 a.m.

In reply to GCrites80s :

Based upon current condition... Id say the boost valve has been stuck open for years.

All that noise and premium gas for nothing

Crazier
Crazier Reader
12/18/20 9:59 p.m.

Springs, 1.9 rockers, pushrods, Seals, bypass valve actuator... And some paint!

The springs cloae to the firewall sucked!

Crazier
Crazier Reader
12/24/20 11:07 p.m.

Full stack Intercooler, VS cam, 2.6 pulley, 2 sets of headlight bulbs, 3 m90 superchargers, zzp pulley puller, comp cam springs, autometer guage kit, valve seals, various new stock sensors, new timing chain and tensioner, engine wire harness, 2 computers, modded throttlebody, new belts, boxes full of bolts,

Most of these parts, despite dirt and some scratches from being stored for years... Appear to have never been installed.

Crazier
Crazier Reader
12/24/20 11:10 p.m.

$1500 spent so far with all of the recoup claimed.

$500 left from actual budget and the 1k recoup.

Ive got some fuel rails and things coming.

About another $400.

So $1100 ish to go

Crazier
Crazier Reader
12/25/20 3:14 p.m.

Ive had an m112 conversion on the back burner for almost a year.

I think this new intercooler will revive the project.

This new intercooler of unknown manufacture is big and clunky and heavy.

However... This may be perfect for the m112 adapter ive been working on.

Two of the bolts (pink) line up and can go from the m112 through the adapter plate, through the intercooler and into the LIM.

The rest of the original m90 bolts would be recessed into the adapter.

The markings in black would just bolt the adapter and intercooler together, so they would be one piece when off the car.

The markings in white would be nuts and bolts simply bolting the m112 to the adapter plate.

The yellow would pass through the adapter plate and be tapped into the intercooler plate.

I wont need to do any welding.

I can rough cut the plate and have it cut nicely later. The middle hole is already the corect size and shape.

Any thoughts?

Plate can be made with a circular saw, a drill press and a tap.

I could add more bolts securing the plate to the intercooler if it was required because of those bolts that just hang out and attach only to the plate

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7uxXHukW7vnKY7roZATjdAswtMPTxzbkxlCLXuRACryX9fEtH8bQvjFH6DHI9Wwv