3 4 5
AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
6/20/13 8:52 a.m.

Yes. Still building it but it was one hell of a weekend. Worked my tail off ;)

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
6/20/13 9:38 p.m.

http://classicmotorsports.net/forum/historic-vintage-racing/2013-canadian-historic-grand-prix-report-car-515/65986/page1/

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
6/21/13 8:57 p.m.

Post race thoughts.

It is time to add lightness to the car.

First task. Rear hood. Then doors.

I will make sure to weight and track my progress.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
7/4/13 9:28 a.m.

Tire wear looks decent.

Right front.

Left rear.

Also will be working to TDC the engine again. The cams appear to be off by 1/2 a tooth we suspect. Robbing me of power down the back straight at Mosport.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
7/5/13 12:01 p.m.

Those two low compression cylinders might make it feel the same as being off half a tooth.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
7/5/13 12:27 p.m.

Maybe I've yet to do a fresh cold compression check.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
7/5/13 1:40 p.m.

Do one hot. I've built a dozen of these motors. Watch the way the pressure rises. If it runs right up to a low reading, you may have a valve issue which might go away when they seat in better. If it takes all five strokes to a max low reading with a small gain on each, that's a ring thing. The chrome ring sets are notoriously hard to break in. I used to do it by loading the car with a passenger and tools, then driving it uphill in third with 3/4 throttle multiple times.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
7/5/13 2:28 p.m.

I'll report back once I get in there.

Also want to inspect the oil filter.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
8/1/13 8:15 a.m.

Right been off for the month of July. Family time.

But I'm getting back into the garage to play with the race car and prep for September's race.

I was fiddling with the GT6 but the parts gods have not been nice so she is off for the rest of the season I do believe.

When last we left the FIAT

1. I was looking into lack of power which is due to the cam.

2. Other motor inspections: Compression and filter checks.

3. I want to re-position the wink mirror and fix the loose fittings. Darn thing would not stay in the right spot during the race. Annoying.

4. Weight lose. I will remove the internal structure on the rear deck.

5. Wind screen. It has been suggested I give the metal bits a little more of and an angle to improve area. Like that will help hehe

A few others on my notes but the main thing is it get back to work and be ready to go.

Trailer will also need some attention.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
8/1/13 8:17 a.m.

Last years run at Mont Tremblant was not a good one.

Wet, old tires and a back up engine with attitude.

This year I have brand new tires and a fresh engine. Game on.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 SuperDork
8/4/13 10:36 p.m.

I've been reviewing the jets. Now believe it is not a timing issue that is robbing power down the back straight.

Based on the plugs I think she's leaning out.

Plug 1

Plug 3

Oil filter looks clean. No shiny bits. Means heathy engine. Oil is still pretty clean to.

Compression test on Monday. Battery was flat.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 SuperDork
8/6/13 2:30 p.m.

Main Jets and Air Correctors ordered from Italy. Also picked up an AN6 fitting for the weber bowl so I can secure my fuel line in a better manner.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
8/6/13 7:16 p.m.

Stupid question: with the pedal on the floor, are you sure the throttle is 100% open?

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 SuperDork
8/6/13 7:57 p.m.

Yep I even removed the bump stop.

The team car did a few changes so I'm working of their notes. Same issue. Down the long straight at Mosport sitting duck. Everywhere else I'm fairly quick.

The jets were street stock. Main jets - 125 Air correctors - 210

Going to: Main jets - 135 Air correctors - 180

I'm still coming to terms with the weber but in all my videos you can see me get waxed down the long straights.

Also going to work on the timing tooth thing this weekend. Long slow development curb.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
8/6/13 8:34 p.m.

Might it be worth investing in some dyno time? That way you can get a base line and then make changes and be able to monitor those changes with the added insurance of being able to back off quickly if you see it running lean.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 SuperDork
8/6/13 8:59 p.m.

Yep that would be nice but I lack the resources to do that right now.

Pretty certain I'm lean at the top end.

The plugs suggest it and I was watching the temps climb rather then fall down the back straight.

The team is looking at getting a fuel air meter we can run during practice/test sessions.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 SuperDork
8/9/13 9:30 p.m.

Intake side cam was off.

Much better.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 SuperDork
8/16/13 9:05 a.m.

One of my friends is South this week so I took the opportunity and ordered a high performance gear reduction starter.

Looking forward to comparing it to my stock unit.

Adding lightness is always fun.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 SuperDork
8/21/13 8:21 a.m.

New jets and air correctors.

Still waiting on the threaded piece to connect an AN6 fitting into the Weber bowl. This will make the fuel system a lot more secure.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 SuperDork
9/11/13 8:39 a.m.

So how do you knock 10 pounds off your race car?

Lightweight high torque starter.

Sexy piece of kit indeed. Old unit 18LBS new 8!

Almost a shame to get it dirty.

But in she goes.

Did have to make a new starter to kill switch wire since the post was a few inches lower then the stock unit. No big deal. Now she starts with authority. What a sound.

https://vine.co/v/h1mhZ0ipua3

type85
type85 New Reader
9/12/13 2:58 p.m.

Have you considered running a wideband OXS with an air/fuel meter? They're really affordable and very accurate! I'm running an Innovate meter/Bosch OXS combo, plug and play, you can get them for about 2 bills on Ebay!

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 SuperDork
9/27/13 1:09 p.m.

Well the changes to the car were worth 7 seconds a lap! I'll take that thank you.

Andre.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 SuperDork
6/19/14 11:50 a.m.

Wooo ha

Mosport 2014: 01:48.688 @ 131.065 Km/h

Mosport 2013: 01:53.225 @ 125.813 Km/h

Pretty intense race weekend.

http://www.djphoto.ca/OnewordJohn-R-...2014/i-HpChZWN

3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners