¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
2/15/21 7:43 a.m.

The 5SFE swap has been done so that part wouldn't be all that hard.  The AWD part, though... there is nothing about the structure of the MR2 that would make powering the front wheels easy.  The fuel tank is in the tunnel, so you'd need to move that.  The frunk would need to get cut up, and probably some sort of crazy tubular front subframe, then if you want to be able to get axles to the front wheels you'd need the struts to move up pretty high, so you'd need to move the front towers up accordingly, meaning they'd stick through the hood.  And as far as I know, there aren't any transaxle options that bolt to that engine with a front output for the AWD so you'd need some sort of wacky V-drive setup to send the power up front.

So drop the AWD requirement and sure, easy.  If you want AWD you'd be much better off starting with a Celica or RAV4 or something.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
2/15/21 7:53 a.m.

Here's a link to a 5SFE swap thread.

If you insist on AWD, maybe using a GT4 or RAV4 trans and a small transfer case mounted aft of it to flip the output to aim to the front would work.  Then you need a front diff from something, maybe a 4Runner or similar with the diff offset like this?

Then you'd probably use front knuckles from a Celica or Corolla, and figure out some sort of front strut arrangement.

Sounds heavy.

aMR2ing
aMR2ing New Reader
2/15/21 8:23 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Yeah i was thinking of a gt4 gearbox, i think places like tuning developments that have a 550hp st205 gt4 (also the place where im gettin the 5sgte from) would be able to help me sort it out, i was just looking for insight from forums first just to see what people are saying

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
2/15/21 8:26 a.m.

In reply to aMR2ing :

There are definitely Toyota gearboxes that both fit in the chassis, and can handle the power.  The question is in how much custom fabrication, machining, and cutting up the unibody you're willing to do in order to get power to the front wheels.  For example, if you have a good machine shop connection maybe it's possible to make your own small transfer case with quick change gears or something to put the output for the front driveshaft exactly where you want it.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
2/15/21 8:32 a.m.

Do you know about Woodsport?  They're also in the UK and are in the business of doing crazy stuff with MR2s, as far as I know they've never done an AWD one but I bet they would have some interesting input.

aMR2ing
aMR2ing New Reader
2/15/21 9:07 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

I haven't heard of them before but I'll definitely keep an eye out for them ty lol

aMR2ing
aMR2ing New Reader
2/15/21 9:08 a.m.

In reply to ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ :

Im willing to do as much as it takes, this ain't meant to be a short project so time is not an issue in the slightest for me, its just knowing what i need to do and places that would be able to help me out. Those are the biggest inconveniences

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
2/15/21 9:33 a.m.

For what it's worth... Is it easier to just twin engine it if you want an AWD AW11? Could call it the MRTwin.

A transaxle that sends the power to the front of the car isn't going to be a small feat.

aMR2ing
aMR2ing New Reader
2/15/21 9:36 a.m.

In reply to Brotus7 :

It could be easier (and thats a catchy name hehe) but itd probably be alot more expensive + it would be awkward to get the geaboxes in, and itd take just as much work to turn the front into another engine bay

RossD
RossD MegaDork
2/15/21 10:28 a.m.

Its my understanding there are a few AWD CUV/SUVs with transverse engines that have 1:1 rear axle ratios. You could use a 1:1 IRS diff as a divorced transfer case in the long axle. Of course you would have to find a short axle or a custom one.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
2/15/21 11:11 a.m.
Brotus7 said:

For what it's worth... Is it easier to just twin engine it if you want an AWD AW11? Could call it the MRTwin.

A transaxle that sends the power to the front of the car isn't going to be a small feat.

Yeah, just take the front half of a similar year corolla/celica and weld it on behind the fenders and under the windshield.

Wasn't there a lemons car that did that?

I actually think twin engine would be much easier than mid engine awd. Unless you can find another mid/rear engine donor. And all I know of like that are 911s, and I'm not sure a 911 as a donor makes much sense...

Brotus7
Brotus7 Dork
2/15/21 11:16 a.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
Brotus7 said:

Yeah, just take the front half of a similar year corolla/celica and weld it on behind the fenders and under the windshield.

Wasn't there a lemons car that did that?

I actually think twin engine would be much easier than mid engine awd. Unless you can find another mid/rear engine donor. And all I know of like that are 911s, and I'm not sure a 911 as a donor makes much sense...

Yup. I think even a couple times. The one I remember used both and automatic and manual trans.. I remember reading a comment that you'd shift while floored, and it's a bizzare feeling for the automatic to keep accelerating while the manual is shifting.

aMR2ing
aMR2ing New Reader
4/22/21 1:04 p.m.

Alr lads its been quite a while since i was last on here, unfortunately the mr2 got sold and i have my eye out for something else instead ;)

CaprockFabShop
CaprockFabShop New Reader
4/22/21 4:44 p.m.

I'd advise against trying to make a mid-engine car with a FWD engine provide power from the middle to the front wheels. I've owned a 1985 MR2 and there is NO room for it without significant compromises. Think, redoing the entire front subframe from scratch.

The MR2 was designed based off the Lancia Stratos for partial-inspiration. That was a Rally winning amazing race car that was also Mid-Engine and RWD. I truly don't see where, in a car that's as small as the MR2, there would be cases or scenarios wher AWD is needed or really necessary. 

Just saying,

~Peter

Rigante
Rigante New Reader
4/23/21 5:05 a.m.

no need for AWD, the only stuff that might fit is if you went longitudinal, used an audi RST v6 and and Audi R8 gearbox. but it would be madness.

Woodsport managed to get the Audi V8 in one, if he  used an OB3 gearbox it would have gone in a lot easier and he actually said that on one of the forums. Just get the MR2 turbo gearbox with the LSD and forget the AWD. 

Rigante
Rigante New Reader
4/23/21 7:17 a.m.

Audi R8 box, you can see the driveshaft that runs to the front bottom left.  buying one of these would be really expensive and that money would be better spent on a nice toyota v6 swap 

iansane
iansane Reader
4/23/21 9:09 a.m.

MRTwin ftw.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
4/23/21 9:45 a.m.
Brotus7 said:

That's been done.

The front clip is from an AE92 Corolla.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7oMylzk1NiCGRn1VFtnDXP9HxZFbxRiq6TZE79tT68P1SySp9nvfpStjsIciGUc0