DG
DG New Reader
3/5/15 3:33 p.m.

GRM had a very nice article on buying and restoring a 84 Carrera. Since I have an 86 Carrera I was interested.

Specifically I was interested in knowing about potential engine/suspension upgrades. I am having my transmission fixed...it never really shifted like I wanted...and was going to do most of the recommendations GRM did to their 84 Carrera. I was also interested in improving intake flow by having the manifolds Extrude Honed. I thought that this with a larger TB would be good for some more power...I already have a chip and CAT bypass muffler.

Please don't stop now...I would like to see some dyno comparisons.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
3/6/15 11:17 a.m.

the 915 transmission in your car will NEVER shift right. especially if you have a short shifter on it. There is a piece just behind the shifter (the hump between seats) that comes out and under that is an adjuster where you can set the shifter. It is a ROYAL PITA to get that sorted out. (the rest of below is from experience with a EURO 911sc 1983, some applies to your 86 but not all. YMMV)

as far as struts go, to go aftermarket you generally have to cut your stock struts to insert koni's or bilsteins in... (the new shock inserts into the cut sleeve.)

the rear a great upgrade is to exchange the rear torsion bars with 930/turbo bars. This will GREATLY stiffen up the ride though so be warned.

exhaust depends, our 1983 has 1970 equal length SSI headers, no cat, to a BB exhaust. It's loud as hell but also great sounding, supposed to give a fairly decent boost in power.

be warned if you are looking for power, a good rebuild with upgraded parts/new pots, cams/oil pump etc can run you $12k and will net you 210 rwhp.

best option if you do rebuild is to bite the bullet and upgrade to a 3.8 motor... (new crank, new pots, new pistons etc...)

My memorry is fuzzy, as an 86 I do not recall if you have the BOSCH electronic fuel injection or CIS injection (mechanical). A chip does nothing for one, something for the other.

rennlist is your best option for information not here on a 911...

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
3/6/15 11:18 a.m.

also, read this entire thread.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/daily-driving-a-cheap-porsche-911-996-what-could-p/92344/page8/

DG
DG New Reader
3/20/15 2:47 p.m.

Mad, I have done some suspension upgrades...21/F 30/R Tbars and through the body Tarrett sway bar, Rebel Racing bushings and turbo tierods. I have a bump steer spacer but was going to go with a revised front strut with higher spindles to reduce the front roll couple.

The engine is very good with about 211 RWHP without any internal changes just a custom 911 Chips chip and CAT bypass muffler. I was going to go with a larger throttle body and extrude honed manifolds but can't get much feedback on how this combination works. Steve Wong has helped me with some good basic information. I felt that there should be some more from GRM.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Onu4dfH6qsvMHTaDu51FySsguNMcedqookL1gIZJ9YzkqrYBCOGX6t1MfRYuG1E5