grubeguy
grubeguy New Reader
9/20/21 2:36 p.m.

OK, first of likely many basic questions.  I'm looking for suggestions on where to find a Chevy (hopefuly an LS series) crate motor and transmission, in one turnkey package.  All I want to do is hook up a fuel system, exhaust and electrics, and have the engine ready to run.

I've been doing some basic research on my own and am looking for suitable vendors, and pearls of wisdom on what to look for or avoid.

JAdams
JAdams New Reader
9/20/21 3:19 p.m.

No advice from me but interested to hear what the hive has to offer.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/20/21 3:24 p.m.

GM has you covered, that's exactly what their LS crates and controllers do. The controller runs a stripped-down operating system that needs the bare minimum to run and the wiring harnesses are super-easy to use.

However, they've got serious supply problems right now so they are temporarily very difficult to obtain. I have a friend who ordered his on February 4th. It's unlikely any vendors are sitting on any.

grubeguy
grubeguy New Reader
9/20/21 3:38 p.m.

Can I order this stuff online?  I called the local GM dealership and they tried like hell to sell me a '20 Camaro, and not talk to me about complete crate motor packages.  Pissed me off, to be honest.  

And for what it's worth, while I like a more modern LS series engine, I'm not wedded to the idea. Something a little older (and less costly) would be ok too.  

preach (fs)
preach (fs) Dork
9/20/21 3:43 p.m.
grubeguy said:

Can I order this stuff online?     

https://www.chevrolet.com/performance-parts/crate-engines

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
9/20/21 4:00 p.m.

Pace, Jegs, Summit - all sorts of suppliers can get you GM crates. You also can find a dealer that is a GM Performance dealer, they can get you crates. If they have a 2020 Camero and no crate engines, they may try to sell you a 2020 Camero :) We have purchased most of our crates from our local dealer, which proved to be quite handy the one time we had a warranty problem.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wH1kGauH90ATk2EqZDzIV54UtTT6cZg3JBiF6r673Y2gwrlxzdZvWgNZOtys4Kyb