Jehannum
Jehannum New Reader
9/18/24 8:56 p.m.

This one goes back a bit. 

In June of 2005, I was driving down the road after pouring another $1200 down the air conditioner of my single-slammer (KA24E) 1989 240SX.  It chose exactly the wrong moment to blow the high pressure line off.  I was exactly across the road from a lemon lot next to the fairgrounds.

Then I saw it: a 1992 300ZX twin turbo, with glorious BBS RS wheels. 

It came with a tiny bit of provenance, in that its previous owner was a fairly well known guy who owned a Ford Lincoln Mercury dealership in town.  He'd kept it at his South Padre Island house.  He was enamored with the Stillen SR-71, which was a package sold by Stillen for a very few Z32s in the early '90s (HKS turbos, 17" BBS wheels, and the bulk of Stillen's parts).  By the time he'd read about it, they were no longer doing it, so he bought the wheels, some 13" Brembo brakes, a JWT tune, a JWT intake, a JWT exhaust, some Eibach springs, and a Stillen short shifter kit.

In my first week owning it, I blew up the clutch (broke a spring retainer in the hub and jammed the spring).

So I did my first clutch job, and then put it on the dyno, for some baseline readings.

I was happy to just thrash it as is, except that in 2007, the driver-side turbo called it a day and sent its bearing down into the oil pan, then started machining the compressor housing, the turbine housing, and both wheels into hot sparkly garbage.

I did a compression test, without any great hope, and found out that my lack of hope was justified: 1, 170PSI, 2, 175 PSI, 3, 170 PSI, 4, 170 PSI, 5, 175 PSI, 6, 70 PSI.

Also, the inside of the plenum was covered in oil that looked like it had spent the night at the strip club, as it was just chock full of glitter.

So, in my 26 year-old wisdom, I decided it was time to rebuild the VG30DETT, but with bigger turbos and bigger injectors and bigger intercoolers and forged pistons and rods.

Jehannum
Jehannum New Reader
9/18/24 9:24 p.m.

I used a local machine shop to do the work of: balancing the rotating assembly with the new pistons and rods, boring the cylinders .020" over, align honing the mains for ARP hardware, replacing the bearings, replacing the valve springs and valves, and grinding the valve seats (and lapping the new valves in), and assembling the short block.  I also had the bearings and pistons coated (a thernal crown coating for the piston tops, a dry film lube coating for the bearings and piston skirts).

I got busy doing my first engine pull.

I stripped it and delivered it to the machine shop, then they got to work:

And I got to work buying pieces.

(the spindle pins are for my 240Z, ignore them)

These are GT2560R turbos, a fairly substantial upgrade over the little T22s that came stock, but they spool in a remarkably similar way.  Combined with (then) some 740cc/min injectors, you could say things were looking up.

Jehannum
Jehannum New Reader
9/18/24 9:39 p.m.

So, I packed all that stuff up in the back of my 240Z and took it down to the friend's garage I was fadoodling in.

New injectors

Got to cut some strength off of the motor mount so that the turbos would fit.  That was about the time I knew things were going to get spicy.

Then I just went ahead and put everything on.

Supervisor periodically stopped in.  He was about 3 or 4 at the time.

Hung it, put the second new clutch on (this one was a heavy duty unit):

And finally sent it home:

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/18/24 9:48 p.m.

Moar!!!!!

a_florida_man
a_florida_man Dork
9/18/24 10:58 p.m.

Very nice.

Subscribed.

You'll need to log in to post.