AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/16/23 10:47 p.m.

Great pic, vintage car in front of vintage theater!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
8/20/23 5:30 p.m.
Indy - Guy said:

In reply to wawazat :

Looks good.  Glad to see you enjoying the car yes

Thank you!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
8/20/23 5:34 p.m.

So Wednesday's no-start condition popped but up Friday night then again Saturday ultimately resulting in a short ride home on the flatbed.  Today's diagnostic session found this issue.

MSD Blaster coil.  When I yanked the coil the back fell off-there was no seal on the panel.  The potting compound is split.  Resistance shows it is on the high end of the spec but I'm pitching this one.  

8/20/23 6:35 p.m.

Must Suck Deez

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
9/1/23 5:46 p.m.

So just back amongst the living in the last day or so as Covid hit my wife then me.  Yay.  
After the coil failed I wanted to get the car back on the road quickly but didn't want to replace the failed coil with another of that design.  That decision sent me down a path of different coils which then drove me to a larger unit which I wanted to mount further away from the engine.  That turned in to revised mount, revised wiring, lost Weatherpack seals, new coil wire creation, etc, etc, etc.  

Suffice it to say, car runs, coil is no longer temped in place and wiring is done.  Tonight I'll do a socially distant drive and then test  for the all-clear.  Today is day 7 and last nights test showed a very faint line.  

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
9/2/23 8:10 a.m.

In reply to wawazat :

Glad to hear you're on the mend and the new coil got you up and running.  

Now that you're zeroing in on making it reliable, any plans for taking the car on something like HR Power Tour?  Years ago, you mentioned that as a possibility. 

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
9/2/23 5:07 p.m.

That's the intent for sure.  I've targeted robust improvements in my build with the intent being a "pile-in and roll" kinda car.  Next year I want to head back to Pittsburgh for the Vintage Grand Prix.  Unfortunately HRPT conflicts with end of school year/extracurricular events and that makes it tough for the next few years.  
Last nights drive was good as were todays rips.  The next few days will be a good test as we're expected to be back in the 90's.  Time to roll on some miles.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
3/10/24 7:06 p.m.

Wow, well the fall and the holidays were rough on me personally and I dropped out of a lot of forum stuff.  Car rolled on some more miles until I brought it in to the garage early November.  
I battled leaks a lot last summer and finally determined that the PS rack needed to be pulled for repair/rebuild.  The mounting bracket needed some changes to allow for access to my LCA camber adjustment plates and I wanted to install the aluminum reservoir I bought last fall so the car went up and the steering system came down.  
I took the rack to Turn One in Saginaw, MI for a rebuild.  The original supplier of my system declined to identify the rack itself but did offer to rebuild it on my dime.  I declined as I didn't think it should leak with so few miles on it.   Turn One does a variety of performance steering systems and is local to me (kinda) so I brought it to them.  I took the rack mounting bracket to my buddies machine shop to open the access windows and it will then go to be blasted and powder coated.  The fasteners got a nice hot ultrasonic bath for thread goo removal and the billet aluminum mounting blocks got a long hot bath with Dawn.  I'm working on the pump-clean up and pulley removal-then the pulley will go for either bead blast or black powder coat before going back on the pump.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
3/10/24 7:08 p.m.
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) said:

Must Suck Deez

My Spark Disappeared

Indy - Guy
Indy - Guy UltimaDork
3/10/24 7:57 p.m.

In reply to wawazat :

Glad to see you back.  I hope the personal struggles are behind you now yes

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
3/11/24 6:52 a.m.

Thanks Brian!  Some are and some are still playing out.  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/11/24 7:09 a.m.

I truly hope things are better than when we last spoke. Been praying for y'all. 

Glad to see you back.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
3/11/24 7:22 a.m.

Thanks Michael!  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
3/12/24 3:07 p.m.

Got a phone call and the rack is ready for pickup!   Woo hoo!  Bracket machine work will be done next week.  

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
3/16/24 12:35 p.m.

I got a call Friday that the bracket machine work was done early and FREE (Ive sent these guys some business over the years).  Perfect timing as I was at a sales call close to the shop.  Grabbed it and dropped it off at the powder coat shop where it will be blasted and recoated and ready by Tuesday!  Yes!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
3/18/24 2:41 p.m.

Woo Hoo!  Bracket done!  I'll grab it tomorrow morning then get on the steering rebuild.  

Recon1342
Recon1342 SuperDork
3/18/24 2:49 p.m.

Awesome!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
3/19/24 7:02 p.m.

Bracket back in my hands today and looks great!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
3/24/24 3:50 p.m.

Almost finished up on the reinstall now.  One fluid connection to tighten then reconnect the steering shaft then off the lift.  Woo hoo!

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
3/24/24 3:50 p.m.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
3/29/24 10:41 p.m.

After this shot I lowered the cat and filled the reservoir and let it sit for the night.  Next day the level had dropped noticeably so I refilled it and finished the column installation.  I fired her up for the first time in 5 months and let her idle to circulate the fluids.  I noticed some significant binding which I now attribute to steering shaft u-joint phasing issues.  Today I pulled things back apart, and reassembled the steering shaft per the original instructions.  Tomorrow I'll drop the car, reinstall the column and shaft and button things up.  Thankfully, I noticed no fluid leaks from the rack.

3/30/24 7:15 a.m.

I like that it is both a car and a cat, so the typo works. I also like that this is a friggin' sweet cat and I can't wait to finally get a ride in it this year. You do nice work, my friend.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
3/31/24 12:08 p.m.

Thanks Patrick!  High, and undeserved in my opinion, praise from you.  

I'm comfortable posting my failures and challenges here and appreciate the support and encouragement I've gotten from you and many others here.  What a great group of like minded people.  

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/31/24 12:17 p.m.

Man, you're doing great work in here.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
4/5/24 9:02 p.m.

Steering is now functioning correctly and leak free!   Top down, 40f and winding up the Cleveland makes for a good evening rip!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yjebzKST0DYaOUsSFz22JI0k5qltyvPp4529yiFtUN2xNoAUOOrK8rtcpWd2AvU3