Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/18/24 2:24 p.m.

I like the teal and white combo so much that you actually have me considering teal on my NASCAR project now

solfly
solfly SuperDork
3/18/24 2:38 p.m.

I think this gets my vote. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/18/24 2:47 p.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

I like the teal and white combo so much that you actually have me considering teal on my NASCAR project now

Which teal? The lighter or darker?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/18/24 2:48 p.m.
solfly said:

I think this gets my vote. 

All three ladies I asked like this color as well. I am still on the fence regarding the stripe and the trim color. I may paint the body and then get that temporary paint like chalk that you can just wash off and experiment.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/18/24 2:49 p.m.

Also absolutely nobody likes the yellow, and nobody likes the Corvette Ralleyeyeyeyeyey wheels or the 70's Indy Mag style wheel.

wawazat
wawazat SuperDork
3/18/24 3:16 p.m.

I gotta say I'm a fan of the Trans Am Race Engineering Superlites as I put them on my car in 17"x 8" up front and 17" x 9.5" in the back.  Unfortunately it appears that they've gone belly up as I've tried to reach them with no luck.  

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/18/24 3:25 p.m.
wawazat said:

I gotta say I'm a fan of the Trans Am Race Engineering Superlites as I put them on my car in 17"x 8" up front and 17" x 9.5" in the back.  Unfortunately it appears that they've gone belly up as I've tried to reach them with no luck.  

There are a few other brands out there with very similar wheels, VTO, Rota and Holley (which sells them as "Legendary" intended for Mustang owners) and a few others that are more money. Not hurting is the fact that they are not terribly expensive and like 10 lb per wheel lighter than anything else.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
3/18/24 4:28 p.m.

To teal sofly quoted. White trim, no stripe, white or black wheels. Tires with plenty of sidewall based upon your ride height. 

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
3/18/24 4:34 p.m.

In reply to tuna55 :

Slight preference towards the brighter teal with the white grill/bumper, but honestly, I think all of them look good enough(with the white grill) that it comes down to personal preference.

solfly
solfly SuperDork
3/18/24 7:02 p.m.

The rallye wheels are really good too. I have them on my 92 in 18".

solfly
solfly SuperDork
3/18/24 7:09 p.m.

I think the white grille and bumper is too much unbroken white

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/19/24 5:41 a.m.
solfly said:

I think the white grille and bumper is too much unbroken white

I think you may be on to something. He left the headlight buckets chrome, and that even is still too much white. I really don't like chrome but I don't know what else to do with the grill and bumper combination. Thoughts? I think they look okay in pewter together but I also like the white better generally. Maybe if the grill was painted in the original style, that is that black highlights on the chrome, but maybe body color on white or something

solfly
solfly SuperDork
3/19/24 6:14 p.m.

Maybe black out the bumper in the pic I posted?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/19/24 7:54 p.m.
solfly said:

Maybe black out the bumper in the pic I posted?

With white everything else?

Maybe pewter for the other parts instead of black?

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/19/24 8:04 p.m.

Does all this pre-amble mean that a paint-date is soon upon us?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/19/24 9:38 p.m.
NOHOME said:

Does all this pre-amble mean that a paint-date is soon upon us?

Sealer as soon as it's 65 for 24 hours. Then body color. 

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
3/20/24 8:05 a.m.
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/20/24 8:11 a.m.
10001110101 Reader
3/20/24 8:17 a.m.

What about a roll pan up front in place of the bumper? I think once painted body color you could go any way you'd like on grill color. Whether white, chrome, or something to play off of the wheel color.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/20/24 8:58 a.m.
10001110101 said:

What about a roll pan up front in place of the bumper? I think once painted body color you could go any way you'd like on grill color. Whether white, chrome, or something to play off of the wheel color.

I thought about it some time ago, but don't love it.

1969 chevy c10 custom show truck grille

Now there are not many pictures of GMC front ends with a roll pan, and many of those have body color monochromatic grills. but I still don't love it.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/20/24 10:48 a.m.

I've been thinking about this more. I like the GMC grill better than the Chevrolet, but the later GMC had the giant chrome surround which Tunakid #1 helped get rid of with his welding lesson. The early Chevrolet grill was much better, but that's out. There is still a sea of chrome, even after the grill surround was removed. Maybe it's that "painted portion" of the grill like the original black did which might help.

here's the real 72 correct grill:

Here is what it really looks like in that satin pewter

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/20/24 11:22 a.m.

Satin grill with Chrome bumper, albeit on an early grill

White grill with chrome bumper

Sorry, this is as much for me as it is for you

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/20/24 1:47 p.m.

Satin white grill and bumper

stock chrome/black grill with white bumper??

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
3/20/24 2:07 p.m.

stock grille, substitute body color instead of black.

chrome bumper > painted bumper > roll pan

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
3/20/24 2:08 p.m.

I'm a sucker for either ALL chrome, or painted but not monochrome.

I do like the pewter (or whatever colour you choose, even silver or just white), but I would want to do all the trim with pewter to tie it all together.  Advantage with paint - it's easy to touch up.  Chrome done poorly is hard to deal with as it ages.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DE1Df4lbyVBey9VCdkNRDUNtEmmO3kr7UBqCLp1Ky6n3HFvr9P7d7RA8l11WhJhN